[Graphics] - Black screen when joining a friends server

Shampsneko

Bug Submission:

Category: Graphics

Issue Title: Black screen when joining a friends server

Issue Description: I've started the game and have had no issues playing when hosting, but if I go to join a friends server, right after i enter the password all i get is a black screen but hear the music.

Win 7

8gb ram

Intel HD graphics

Steps to Reproduce: Happens whenever i try to join my friends server, and happens whenever she tries to join mine.

• Developer

Ack! That sounds frustrating.  I'll dig into this right away.  

Is this a new issue with Today's patch?

Please upload your log.txt file so I can further diagnose the problem.

This file is located in your documents folder, under Klei/DontStarveTogether

on my system the file is located:

C:\Users\lapra_000\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\log.txt

Cheers,

-Mark L

• Developer

Hey @Shampsneko,

It's a strange one! You are communicating but never finish downloading the map.  If you upload the log.txt from the latest build I should have a little more information to figure out what failed.

Maybe try running the game as administrator?

I'll look through the download logic again today and see if we have any silent failure cases.  Sorry for all the trouble!

Ok so I've finally have been able to connect to other, but noticing an issue, no one can connect to me if i host. I'll get a new log to post for that when my friend trys again, unless a current one would show that information at which if it will I'll go get the log now.

I am experiencing something similar. Two of my friends were playing with me on my server, and now when they try to connect to it, they get the black screen with music. We removed the password and they get a little further, but nothing loads completely.

I made a new game to see if they can connect to that - they can. We played on the server several times over several days (IRL), and I didn't change any computer/OS settings. I did notice that the game recently updated, and that might be the only change.

For what it's worth, I am running Ubuntu 14.10 with ample RAM and a decent graphics card.

@mookie, If I remember correctly, there was another case similar to this, where clients could join once but never again, and I think it was because the server wasn't able to actually save their data, but then it was trying to load it, but because it wasn't there, it just waited to send it indefinitely. Do you have folders and files inside this folder?:

~/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/save/server

It may be unable to save due to a permissions issue.

@mookie, Well, it doesn't sound like this is the problem, but it's worth a try... You can use the launch option -persistent_storage_root to change it to a different config directory from ~/.klei/

But some additional information would be helpful-- was your friend able to rejoin the new world, or just join once? Both of your log files after failing to join might reveal more clues.

Archived