DST Feedback 001 First Impressions and Suggestions

To start off I am not sure if this is the correct place to give off my impressions of testing the beta so far but I just finished testing the game for a couple of hours. I really gotta hand it to Klei that they did a really great job, quite a lot of suggestions I asked for are implemented such as muting certain players, showing who is in your server with tab, being able to global chat and whisper, being able to see the user when you hover your mouse over their character and just so much more. Simply amazing!

Many games need to implement the create or find a server like don't starve because it's so convenient to just create a world to play in or join one and the ability to customize your world(server) the way you want to with password or no password, pvp or no pvp etc is just as I'd hope for.

As for bugs I have not come across too many but in the first server I was in, when I died I did not turn into a ghost and simply had to restart a new character. In the last server I was in, I would turn into a ghost after dieing but not having that ghost timer so maybe I would have been a ghost forever if the host was not reviving me all the time. At times when the servers would start to lag due to connection, my character would run one direction then run toward another direction and sometimes that would mean my death if a hound or enemy were to be chasing me and my character ran toward enemies rather than away from enemies so I am not sure if that is a bug or not. There was a ring that would teleport me to the host but when the host used it, it did not work so maybe that is a bug as well?

A few suggestions at the moment that I have are I think a trap chest should not kill every player only the one who opened it or players near it because I logged into a server and died within 4 seconds because somebody opened a trap chest as soon as I entered, that's what they told me that happened when we all died and respawned. I also think  that as it is nice to have other players give or feed others, I think a better option would be to have your own character hold out an item in his hand and the other player can then take it from their hand because nobody wants to be fed a red mushroom and die. You can't even stop your character from eating it if other players feed it to you and can be very frustrating. Just a suggestion, if anything I think the feeding other players is a double edge blade and maybe consider changing it or removing it?

I will continue to update my impressions and suggestions as i test beta. I think this game is great so far so keep up the good work Klei, you guys are amazing!

As for bugs I have not come across too many but in the first server I was in, when I died I did not turn into a ghost and simply had to restart a new character. In the last server I was in, I would turn into a ghost after dieing but not having that ghost timer so maybe I would have been a ghost forever if the host was not reviving me all the time.
 These are both intended. Ghosts last forever now (they have since closed beta began). As for going back to character select instead, that's what happens in Wilderness mode (the other two modes are Endless and Survival).

There was a ring that would teleport me to the host but when the host used it, it did not work so maybe that is a bug as well?
This is a mod, but I haven't used it, so it's definitely possible it has a bug with that.

A few suggestions at the moment that I have are I think a trap chest should not kill every player only the one who opened it or players near it because I logged into a server and died within 4 seconds because somebody opened a trap chest as soon as I entered, that's what they told me that happened when we all died and respawned.
Huh? There's no such trap chest that kills everyone globally. Maybe that was modded in?

I also think  that as it is nice to have other players give or feed others, I think a better option would be to have your own character hold out an item in his hand and the other player can then take it from their hand because nobody wants to be fed a red mushroom and die. You can't even stop your character from eating it if other players feed it to you and can be very frustrating.
 They cannot feed you foods that are harmful, unless PvP is on. And they can't feed you at all unless you're just idling.

Archived