So how does saving progress work in DST?

I looked in the FAQ but this was not answerd.

So I played on a dedicated server today and made some good progress, I got a tentacle spike, beefalo hat and a bunch of other great stuff. So when I log off and exit DST and get back on and I join that server again I will be exactly where I left off? If so how many servers will save my progress at once? Like if I go join a new server, will my progress be lost on the server with the tentacle spike and beefalo hat? Or does my character progress get saved and I can bring my geared character into any server? I am very confused how this all works, if somebody could give me a detailed answer that would be very appreciated.

I looked in the FAQ but this was not answerd.

So I played on a dedicated server today and made some good progress, I got a tentacle spike, beefalo hat and a bunch of other great stuff. So when I log off and exit DST and get back on and I join that server again I will be exactly where I left off? If so how many servers will save my progress at once? Like if I go join a new server, will my progress be lost on the server with the tentacle spike and beefalo hat? I am very confused how this all works, if somebody could give me a detailed answer that would be very appreciated.

So when I log off and exit DST and get back on and I join that server again I will be exactly where I left off?

This depends. If it is survival. If everyone on the map dies, the server will restart to a new map so you will all restart over again. This could mean if you are not on the server, but one person is on and then dies, the server will then restart and a fresh map will be spawned. Endless and wilderness are different. It will save your things. I'll link to more information on these modes below!

If so how many servers will save my progress at once? Like if I go join a new server, will my progress be lost on the server with the tentacle spike and beefalo hat?

EDIT Clarifying!: Short answer. No, you won't lose your progress or save*. Each server is different, and will save your information separately. You can go to several servers, you have no limit.

Here's a link about the game modes: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/46431-a-question-about-game-modes/

Here as well: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/46283-quick-question/

A good quote about the modes!

Okay, a surprising amount of misinformation and fuzziness in this thread...

Endless: This is the mode that we were playing before the other two modes got added. You can resurrect with the portal by haunting it, which behaves like receiving a telltale heart (you lose max health). Otherwise, there's no way for the world to end, it just keeps going even if everyone's dead, and other people being dead has no direct effect on you.

Survival: You cannot resurrect with the portal. For each player ghost in the world, living players lose 3.3 sanity per minute, capped at 10 sanity per minute. The idea of this is to make it harder for the remaining players, possibly causing them to spiral into a state where everyone's dead, at which point the world restarts.

Wilderness: This is like Endless, but there is no common spawn point, no portal, and no ghosts. Instead, if you die, you get sent back to character select. People spawn in random points all over the world.

Hope that helped a little!

Ok, I play only on Wilderness servers because I don't like the ghost thing and I start losing sanity when other players die.

So if I want to host a game, and players join where does that progress save? on my computer? like will everyone who joins my game will all their progress save on my computer or is there like a cloud that saves everybodies progress? I don't understand it.

@JimmyTwoShoes, The world and your character are saved on your computer. Everyone elses characters are saved on their own computer.

So if they leave, the world still continues if you are still running the server. When they rejoin, they will join the same world that you are still playing in. Its like they leave, skip some time, and come back later.

Their inventory will still be the same as when they left though.

Note that the Chester's bone drop when you disconnect. Its not a good idea to store important things in Chester.

Oh, yes! And definitely nothing perishable on you. I try to log out with any perishables (on dedicated servers, or servers that remain up while you are afk) so you have food on you when you get back and also so nothing rots! :-)

Here's a link to Clwnbaby's post (tips for newcomers) related to: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/46229-some-tips-for-newcomers/  Pretty good advice there.

He's also got a twitch stream that some might find helpful :-) (He's pretty dang knowledgeable!)

If you do watch twitch streamer's I would most definitely suggest Dizzy, he's like non-stop information, currently he's been doing DST with another equally and if not more so knowledgeable (as Dizzy says himself) streamer, Flare2V They answer questions all the time and like giving people the information. Flare actually has a Don't Starve Q & A topic at the moment, some good information about DS in general there, I'm sure he wouldn't mind some DST Q's as well :-). http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/45875-do-you-have-dont-starve-questions/

I don't generally try to "advertise", but Dizzy got me into checking out Don't Starve streams and he was constantly answering questions, and is so knowledgeable, and as he says himself still learning. (Which is hard to believe because he knows so much!!!) hehe :-) - Also he tends to give out DST keys (from people who donated to him) on his streams! I think over all any would benefit from spending even a few minutes listening/watching him.

Archived