Can't build the next tier crafting machine

Okay, so on one world I was playing on some people had already built a science machine. I decided to see what I needed to build the alchemy engine while right next to the science machine.

It didn't simply say that I didn't have enough parts, it was still a black silhoutte. This means that a player can't build an alchemy engine without building a science machine first and this applies to each and every character. Its a pretty minor thing and I don't wanna sound like I'm just complaining here so Klei. Is there some easy way to just change it so if someone else has built a science machine, by standing next to it I can build an alchemy engine?

Are you sure you were standing close enough to the science machine? From my experience I can still build an alchemy machine from a science machine built by somebody else without building a science machine myself. 

If I'm mistaken about this, I'll go reconfirm my knowledge about it now. 

Yeah i think you just weren't close enough.  It doesn't matter who builds the science machine you can use it regardless to build an alchemy engine.  Trust me, everyone does it all the time.  Hell on Wilderness this is the best way to get to alchemy tech fast

Archived