We need finer control over world parameters

...Badly!  

The most blatant example is the Gears(ok, ok, "Chess pieces" if you want to be picky).  

On 'Default', You can easily search for an hour and never find a gear.   

On 'More'  you can't throw a Rock without hitting a Rook.  It's not like they're even at chess mini-biomes, they're just everywhere! In the plains, in the forest, surrounding the starting portal... It's unplayable!  

And 'Lots'...? Yeah. No. Just no.

While I realize that all such things are subjective, it's safe to say that when most people say 'more' gears they don't mean rampaging hordes of chess monsters chasing the player from the moment they step out of the portal.  

Probably, like myself, they want something along the lines of...8 chess mini-biomes on the map instead of 5.  Perhaps a 15% chance from graves instead of a 10%.  Those are approximate numbers, but you get the idea.

Many of the other settings are similar and equally frustrating. Rocks comes to mind.  I feel that rock biomes are just a tad too rare in the default game, but I'd still like to be able to throw a rock without hitting another one. 

Solutions

1) Implement world parameters on a sliding scale from 0-100, with starting values in the 'default' position, whatever they are for each parameter.  If the player wants exactly 17% more chance of chess biomes, let them have that!  

2) if the first option isn't available, choose underlying values on a slightly exponential scale rather than an even scale.  So for example, still using 0-100 as the potential values, each parameter should have values of:

0(None), 15(rare), 35(uncommon), 45(less), 50(Default), 55(more), 65(common), 85(ubiquitous), 100(Max).

3) Similar idea, in terms of multiplicity, would be X0, X0.1, X0.5, x0.8, X1, X1.2, X1.5, X1.9, X2

Regardless of how exactly the underlying algorithm is implemented, one of these methods should be viable.  

If not....shame on you =P.  I want to play WX with reasonable certainty I'll find some gears but without getting murdered every 10 feet, and that's a reasonable expectation.

Community: Would love to hear from others who also want more control over their world.

Klei: Would love to hear your take on this and why you will/won't/can't give finer control.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm all for finer control over my world generation. Aside from not having a 100% chance the world could have an icebox or not, my main issue with the current world generation is the random spawning of items/objects outside their normal biomes that end up cluttering the world if you change any of them to either more or lots.

If your suggestion can't be done, I'd at least be ok with a world generation where if I set Reeds to more, the increased amount would only appear in swamp biomes and no where else.

@Zillvr Yeah that issue is my #1 complaint as well.  As with the Chess piece example. More chess pieces should mean more chess mini-biomes, not chess monsters spread all across the map.

@Ridley To be honest I thought the pig king was a guaranteed spawn on default settings.  Sometimes hard to find, but I've never had a map where he literally wasn't present.  To be fair, I never go searching for him so it's possible I just didn't notice.

@Ridley To be honest I thought the pig king was a guaranteed spawn on default settings.  Sometimes hard to find, but I've never had a map where he literally wasn't present.  To be fair, I never go searching for him so it's possible I just didn't notice.

Oh trust me, you don't want to find out your world lacks a pig king. When I need gold for projects, the rock biome is very lacking. I need some place to cash in all the loot I got from making deerclops attack things for me. 80 pieces of food that will soon spoil? That there is 80 pieces of gold.

80 pieces? I got only 8 after killing it. Does they changed it to 80?

Deerclops drops 8 pieces. I got 80 meat from having deerclops accidentally hit other things. He killed spiders, pigs, bees, and queens for me. I cooked the spider meat and turned it into eggs with a bird cage. I gave all those eggs to the pig king.

Deerclops is a bulldozer, just lead him to people and he will kill them for you.

Archived