Reduce player fire damage (from being lit on fire)

So fire damage is in a good place generally, but when a player is lit on fire they take around 50 damage from it, regardless of whether they're wearing armor or not, not to mention lighting things around them on fire, too.

Considering that being struck by lightning did 15 damage to you in RoG, being struck now lights you on fire for 50 damage, that seems a bit extreme. You can't even do anything about it once you get struck, and it's completely random.

Fire damage seems a bit complicated to get at, but it looks like it would be possible to keep track of the fire damage being dealt to a player by themselves being on fire, and reduce that to be more in line with RoG's lightning damage. It would also make Willow and fire darts less absurdly overpowered in PvP contexts.

Also maybe, add some way(probably an early-game one) to extinguish the fire. Right now the my 2 most loathed weapons in PvP are Willow's lighter and the Fire Staff. You might be my partner in the game, or even my brother, but if PvP is on and I see you with one of these, I'll break as many spears as possible in your face!

Maybe nerf player fire damage to RoG-ish levels, but make it so that if a player gets lit up whilst wearing a grass/log suit that gets burned into ash (and sustains fire damage until it either finishes burning or you put it on the ground)?

That wouldn't quite address the OP-ness of fire in a PvP context though, since fire would essentially become a cheap break armor spell. And from a code standpoint there'd need to be some significant adjustments to allow for inventory items to catch on fire properly.

Archived