Custom Character causes a blackscreen.

Scottnov

im glad you got it to work! what was your method? and idk still. if i find it, then ill notify you.

I believe I fixed it by using Textool on an updated version of my art, which was renamed to atlas-0.tex. Apparently that was the issue for whatever reason.

And I'm going to wait to see if anyone else has any idea on how to have a faster attack speed, but since people stuck with me throughout this whole thing, I guess I'll like every reply I got as a small token of my appreciation. Good luck with your Crash Bandicoot character, and Mobbstar, good luck with your other mods. Thanks everyone!

Again, I still do need the line of code that makes attack speed 1.5x, so this thread isn't quite over yet.

EDIT: The character Wunk, who is supposed to gain attack speed after a certain amount of drug level, had this in his code. It might be beneficial to finding out how to up attack speed:

inst.components.combat.min_attack_period = TUNING.WILSON_ATTACK_PERIOD / (1 + (bonus / 100))

that you might be able to use. the tuning for wilson is i think 1. so if you were to change that to a decimal lower than one without the second half, it might work.

inst.components.combat.min_attack_period = 0.4

try that compared to what it was. the main issue i could see is the animation for an attack taking longer than the period set. but i doubt that is the case. ill also test this btw to see. my character i dont think will need a higher attack speed. i see it reducing item durability more than i had in mind.

edit: i looked into the components. the combat min attack period is set to 4. so what i put wont work as thats freakishly faster than what is in the file. i also tested that and i think its setting the default value. can you attach the prefab to the character you got that from?

that you might be able to use. the tuning for wilson is i think 1. so if you were to change that to a decimal lower than one without the second half, it might work.

inst.components.combat.min_attack_period = 0.4

try that compared to what it was. the main issue i could see is the animation for an attack taking longer than the period set. but i doubt that is the case. ill also test this btw to see. my character i dont think will need a higher attack speed. i see it reducing item durability more than i had in mind.

edit: i looked into the components. the combat min attack period is set to 4. so what i put wont work as thats freakishly faster than what is in the file. i also tested that and i think its setting the default value. can you attach the prefab to the character you got that from?

I just tested it and I can't tell if it made my attacks faster or not. I think it does, but not by much, it seems. I also tried to compare it with Wilson, but it didn't seem to help.

EDIT: Read your edit, and here you go: wunk.lua

EDIT #2: It appears that the change seemed to only effect the animation and not how much they were getting hit, at least that's what it seems like.

from what i see, in that file. its set to decrease attack period by a division function. bonus is the variable set by other means in the lua. 1 + (bonus / 100) 100 is wilson tuning default. 1 + means the lowest it can possibly go for it is 1 as if bonus managed to be as low as 0. so 1 + ( 0 / 100)) means that its 0% default speed plus one (25%). if you want something like this, say for each monster kill, you will need to script an event and handle event for when something dies and for it to tune towards the bonus variable. doing what this person did would take a bit of scripting, but seems to be worth it. idk if this even works with the actual character. lol.

from what i see, in that file. its set to decrease attack period by a division function. bonus is the variable set by other means in the lua. 1 + (bonus / 100) 100 is wilson tuning default. 1 + means the lowest it can possibly go for it is 1 as if bonus managed to be as low as 0. so 1 + ( 0 / 100)) means that its 0% default speed plus one (25%). if you want something like this, say for each monster kill, you will need to script an event and handle event for when something dies and for it to tune towards the bonus variable. doing what this person did would take a bit of scripting, but seems to be worth it. idk if this even works with the actual character. lol.

I see, but what I'm trying to do is have a constant increase in attack speed, which you probably already know. Do you think there's anything there we can use to do this? Or is this particular character's code not useful for what I'm trying to achieve?

th srech continus

um. it should be useful. a better scripter could probably tell you more. i just know some things have a set limit unless you have something to take presitence over it. like crash i was gonna give very high sanity of 400. but it sets it to 200. wx78 has a max upgrade up to 400, and this situation is if u want it constant, you need some part that causes it to manipulate the speed. try going into components and looking at the walking cane and how it effects locomotion. (may help, probably not.) it probably has some factor that changes the walking speed and running speed. it may use a *. if it does, then try applying that to your character for attacking. maybe write something related to "on_equip" to effect the component.combat file to manipulate the attack speed. that would be a useful fix since you cant attack without an equipped item from what i can tell.

um. it should be useful. a better scripter could probably tell you more. i just know some things have a set limit unless you have something to take presitence over it. like crash i was gonna give very high sanity of 400. but it sets it to 200. wx78 has a max upgrade up to 400, and this situation is if u want it constant, you need some part that causes it to manipulate the speed. try going into components and looking at the walking cane and how it effects locomotion. (may help, probably not.) it probably has some factor that changes the walking speed and running speed. it may use a *. if it does, then try applying that to your character for attacking. maybe write something related to "on_equip" to effect the component.combat file to manipulate the attack speed. that would be a useful fix since you cant attack without an equipped item from what i can tell.

Alright, I'll use this to try and figure out some way to get it to work. Perhaps someone else will be able to provide more information in addition to what you found. Tell me if you find anything else and I'll experiment until I get something. Thanks for your help! Oh, also, you can attack without a weapon by forcing an attack with control + mouse/F.

a tip to maybe attract more attention so that you may get scripting help is to start a new topic asking for scripting help to solve the attack speed issue. this being buried at the bottom of a black screen issue topic might not help you find a solution :grin:

Seems like a good idea, I guess I'll do that, then.

Archived