[General] - Not sure if lag or game...

serilia

Bug Submission:

Category: General

Issue Title: Not sure if lag or game...

Issue Description: Not sure if lag or game, but have been playing it on two different WiFi networks (both good for other online gaming), so I'm assuming this is a bug.

Sometimes my character seems to "lag" while it picks up random objects (most often seen picking up rocks). Additionally, sometimes I'm running and it's as if I run into an invisible wall and I have to run around it.

Other than that, great game and super fun! Honestly, even as a beta, think it's definitely worth playing and a wonderful addition to Don't Starve.

Happy debugging!

Serilia

Steps to Reproduce: Was unable to reproduce running to "invisible walls". Tried running right back to it and it was no longer there. Most often occurred in heavily wooded areas (can't vouch if it was just a coincidence).

As far as the lagging when picking up objects, consistently happened in one area when picking up stones. Other than that seemed rather random. Don't think it was a connectivity issues (has happened in two different wifis, both of which I use for other online gaming).

Not sure about the invisible walls, but the lagging when picking things up is almost certainly lag/desync. Does you character bend over to pick it up, when wait a bit before actually grabbing? That's what happens when your character is in a different place on the server, so it still has to walk over to the item, but locally your computer thinks you're already there.

Not sure about the invisible walls, but the lagging when picking things up is almost certainly lag/desync. Does you character bend over to pick it up, when wait a bit before actually grabbing? That's what happens when your character is in a different place on the server, so it still has to walk over to the item, but locally your computer thinks you're already there.

Is there a fix for this? I'm currently experiencing this problem and it's a bit frustrating. The server host computer is plugged in via Ethernet, and the other computer experiencing the delay is on the same network with a ping of 18ms.

@jtellez14, Try this console command:

ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction(false)

Edit: But most of the lag in the game is not due to the network, but due to the server computer just not keeping up with hosting well.

This worked perfectly, thanks! Sorry it took long to reply, I've been crazy busy. Do you know if there's a way to make this permanent? Every time I play, I have to disable it.

Based on what I've seen, this invisible wall effect happens due to some non-networked entity existing on the server (usually a plugged sinkhole). The client thinks he can walk through, but since on the server there exists an obstacle there, when the client receives correction for the player position it gets pushed back.

simplex, yeah, but why those entites have no network representation on the client? Aren't they have to be on the client side?

They should have network representations. This happens precisely with content which hasn't been fully ported to DST yet (and ideally shouldn't be spawning in maps at all).

@simplex,@Some1, Sinkholes shouldn't be generating at all. Isn't spawning them in the only way to get them?

I can't think of anything else that you can actually obtain that has collision and isn't networked yet...

I saw this happening (with a sinkhole) in one of jbeetle's videos. It's an old video though, from October I think, so they might have fixed that already. And, in fact, map/levels/survival.lua explicitly has

{"cave_entrance",   "never"}
so, unless there's something wonky in the worldgen code, it really shouldn't spawn. This definitely sounds like some non-networked entity, though.

EDIT: Here's the video.

Yeah im kinda having the same problem, when i go to pick somthing up, it takes a few seconds for it to catch up. I dont know why its "lagging" because i can run any online game without a problem like this.... must be a glitch or my computer....

Yeah same happened to me. Try @rezecib's method of using the console, it seemed to do the trick!

Type into the console:

ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction(false)

It's the host not running the server smoothly. 

I am the only one getting on a server were i have the second best ping. I can see others running round doing everything and i am just running on the spot. Can even see them talking, but when i talk it takes about 10 seconds to go through :S Is this lag or host side? Also i literally can't use chests as every time i put something in it shows up in the chest then back on my mouse and repeat so can never drop it. 

@Passive, In my experience when the server is running slowly, it affects some more adversely than others. I'm not sure why that is, but it seems like it's somehow doing a (random?) prioritization of connections. I'd suspect only a dev would be able to know more about exactly what's happening (at least networking-wise) when the CPU is not fast enough to run the full Sim ticks in time, though.

I also got that problem, then when i want to pick some things up it can take up till 10 seconds before the item picked up. This problem is only when i am around the camp that we made, when i am walking away from the camp the problem dissapears and everything reacts  the way as it should. i tried  ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction(false) but only if i do that it even gets worse. Does anybody know any other options how to fix it or what the problem can be?

Thanks

Archived