[Gameplay] - Character cannot harvest from a specific angle.

Spiritbob

Bug Submission:

Category: Gameplay

Issue Title: Character cannot harvest from a specific angle.

Issue Description: Whether it is tree/mine/etc if you spam mouse clicks on it if you are infront of the object, the character will stop mining and will move behind of it to continue his work, it's very annoying.

Steps to Reproduce: Go to a mine or a tree, stay infront of it, start axing it/pickaxing it, by mashing down the mouse 1 button (NOT HOLDING IT DOWN!) and you will see how your character will start moving behind it, and then starting to harvest.

If you are playing as a client and joining a server hosted by a different player, I think this issue has something to do with your client connection to the host. The only solution I can think of and have already been doing in my gameplay is using the Use Action key (Spacebar on default).

Mashing down the mouse button 1, one after another would depend on your connection to the host. While using the spacebar will l say keep-doing-action, instead of do this, then this then this then this. Each individual action will take a while to register. I hope I'm making sense, if not I'm sorry for the messy explanation. 

If anyone can explain this better, do say your piece. If I'm also mistaken, let me know.

If you are playing as a client and joining a server hosted by a different player, I think this issue has something to do with your client connection to the host. The only solution I can think of and have already been doing in my gameplay is using the Use Action key (Spacebar on default).

Mashing down the mouse button 1, one after another would depend on your connection to the host. While using the spacebar will l say keep-doing-action, instead of do this, then this then this then this. Each individual action will take a while to register. I hope I'm making sense, if not I'm sorry for the messy explanation. 

If anyone can explain this better, do say your piece. If I'm also mistaken, let me know.

I have experienced this bug in my own listen server. I do not believe  the issue is in the clients connection.

@Spiritbob I tried to replicate what's happening here, and I believe I understand it. Let me know if I'm wrong.

You are positioned like this, in the image, and where are you clicking exactly?

post-474697-0-56918300-1416327510_thumb.

So first you are far away from the tree then you click the trunk, so wilson get close enough and chops it once. You click it again, (because you are mashing your mouse key 1), but is your mouse still on the tree trunk or already behind wilson's head because wilson head overlaps where you were clicking before?

From what I've tested, trying to chop/mine a tree/rock but with your character head in the way makes your character move to the spot behind the tree, because technically your cursor isn't on the tree anymore.

If I've misunderstood this, please clarify. I always instinctively chop/mine beside objects.

@Spiritbob I tried to replicate what's happening here, and I believe I understand it. Let me know if I'm wrong.

You are positioned like this, in the image, and where are you clicking exactly?

attachicon.gif2014-11-19_00001.jpg

So first you are far away from the tree then you click the trunk, so wilson get close enough and chops it once. You click it again, (because you are mashing your mouse key 1), but is your mouse still on the tree trunk or already behind wilson's head because wilson head overlaps where you were clicking before?

From what I've tested, trying to chop/mine a tree/rock but with your character head in the way makes your character move to the spot behind the tree, because technically your cursor isn't on the tree anymore.

If I've misunderstood this, please clarify. I always instinctively chop/mine beside objects.

It seems the character is the problem. I tried this by clicking elsewhere on the object and it works, but if you see a tree and start clicking it on a relatively low level, when the character comes on that place you start clicking on him hence he goes behind the object.

So, will this be permament, or will they change it?

Friend, this isn't exactly a bug. This issue exists with trees in the default game.
When you chop trees, they emit particles (pine needles) as a visual effect. When you continuously click on the tree, these particles can pass over your cursor blocking you from clicking on the tree, and instead giving your character a command to move to the location of the particle (same spot as the tree). Your character will continue to move until you click on the tree again. This all happens pretty fast because you're too busy spammin' the mouse to notice, but it happens. The particles only appear near the top and fall down, so if you click the very tippy top they won't get in your way.

tl;dr: Don't click the pine needles. If you want to avoid them altogether, click on the top of the tree.

EDIT, PLEASE READ: Just tested it again m'self, the underlined portion above is incorrect. The particles actually just let your clicks pass right on through the tree and instead you move to the place on screen you clicked behind the tree. My point's still the same though, and it's mostly accurate. Just click the tops, man.

Archived