Don't Starve Together Beta Review

I have been playing Don't Starve Together recently and felt like I needed to give feedback and suggestions.

First of all, I have waited for this for a while. Klei has been giving excuses that Don't Starve was focused to be the best single player game they can make, and to make it multiplayer they had to restructure the whole game code. I'm glad to see that they're putting in the time and effort into this to make the community happy.

My friend and I have been playing this and we are both very pleased with the results. For the most part, it runs smoothly, and you could do almost everything you could in the singleplayer. The only thing we found out so far was that we couldn't activate the touchstones (we don't know if its a bug, or it hasn't been implemented yet). I have found that the game gets harder, yet easier at the same time when you're playing with other people. You find resources and finish tasks faster, but you have to share the resources among everyone. Also, we really enjoyed the ghost mechanic.

I recommend adding a voting system to the multiplayer. Vote to kick, ban, mute, etc. It would also be helpful if the host could pause the game. Voice chatting I think is also a really good idea. In addition to that, I think that there should be an option for the host to set it so you can only see what the player is saying if you're close to eachother, so that it'll be harder to find other players. There could also be an option where the host can set whether the spawn points are random, adding more difficulty to the game.

The last thing I wanna suggest is custom server gamemodes. You could add mod support towards servers, but I think this would be better. You can create a external server tool, and using that they can create their own Don't Starve maps, create their own gamemodes, to create custom starting inventories, etc. I also think that the slots for the amount of players are way too little, providing if the custom gamemode idea happens.

Overall, I give this game a 7/10

@SpoonyChan, Touchstones don't get activated anymore, instead what you do is haunt them as a ghost. (this is also how you revive with meat effigies and life-giving amulets now). Pausing (for the host) and afk (for the clients, mainly) are coming.

As for voice chat, they said they don't want to add it because it would be weird if Wilson speaks with an instrument and then suddenly he can also speak English. Steam has built-in voice chat so you can use that with Steam friends, though. It was quite a while ago, so I wasn't able to find the quote for that.

You can chat with only people close to you-- use U instead of Y. It only shows the message above your head. Random spawn points is on the list of options that will be added at some point, too.

The number of player slots is a current state related to how stable servers are with various numbers of players. The plans are to have dedicated servers support as many as 64 players. You can currently change a number in one of the files to increase the number of players, but it will most likely lag a fair bit.

I think mods are sufficient for custom game modes, but there might be some built-in PvP game modes once the standard coop experience is pretty good. A proper map editor would be cool, but it's a ton of work. Usually map editors exist for games where that tool is actually useful to the developers, as well (because the game contains static maps with scripted actions, for example), but that isn't the case for Don't Starve.

People reviewing a game that's pretty early in beta >.> When soo many parts of the game are unimplemented. Ugh.

Better than people not giving feedback at all and going all "omg dis game is perfect no erors or misteaks".

Better than people not giving feedback at all and going all "omg dis game is perfect no erors or misteaks".

It's funny you say that because currently my friend is using steam share with my account to play with my buddy and I've just been watching the stream to find bugs. So far 3. Good plan. Great plan.

It's funny you say that because currently my friend is using steam share with my account to play with my buddy and I've just been watching the stream to find bugs. So far 3. Good plan. Great plan.

Uh, I don't think you get what I'm saying.

I disagree with what you said about people giving feedback to a game that's unfinished.

In my opinion, this game needs a lot of feedback and suggestions, hence how they added an entire subforums for it.

Archived