The most important feature missing from the counsel

I can't believe this has not been mentioned yet, but being able to copy and paste text into the console is a massive quality of life improvement. If I remember correctly SethR mentioned he might try wrapping the commands to more user friendly names along with some sort of /help command to bring up a listing. But for right now, being able to simply paste things like TheInput:GetWorldEntityUnderMouse():Remove() or GetPlayer().components.builder:GiveAllRecipes() would make testing go a lot smoother.

I realize it would then be necessary to sanitize user input so things don't go awry (though only the host should have counsel access anyways). Hopefully this isn't too much of a pain to implement.

On a final note, this is by no means a priority issue, but adding a nice tab completion feature would make remembering all those prefab names a lot easier.

What I do is write my own console commands. Since consolecommands.lua occasionally gets updated (overwriting my custom ones), I keep a copy of it in the mods folder.

So instead of TheInput:GetWorldEntityUnderMouse(), I have c_mouse().

The console already has tab-completion, it just doesn't seem to work universally (only on the first object that's typed? like if you type TheInput:GetW and then tab, it will complete, but if you try to tab-complete stuff on the world entity, it will just cycle through TheInput's functions instead). But prefab names are literals, so tab-completion wouldn't apply.

Since there will soon be dedicated servers, instead of having the host be in lead of everything and having the host to have access to everything in his/her server (e.g. console commands), there should be maps which allow and disallow the console. Along with this, if you wanted to kick someone, you would need others' support. So if majority of the people in the map press a specific button, this would kick the person out of the map, unless there is two of you, in which case, if you both want the map for yourself you would be like cowboys, ready to take out your guns... I mean click each other's kick buttons XD

Since people can just come back in the map, there should be a penalty of how long the person should wait till they can join the map again. This would mean that there should be permanent and non-permanent kick buttons. Say, if a person joins again a few times and keeps wrecking your base (say after 3 - 5 times), you could then click the permanent kick button, so that the person would not join again. The reason why the non-permanent kick would be needed is because the person who joined the map, could join it again after a while, so that if the person changes their mind about wrecking stuff, he or she could play again nicely, however if the person keeps on being kicked, they would deserve a permanent kick out of the map.

Archived