Texture artists, animators, may be testers, and especially programmers needed for a big mod!

XirmiX

As many of you know I am working on a mod which would contain a lot of content. However, because of some situations, it's only left me and another guy working on the mod. I do not want to give up on it, as it's a brilliant idea that might fascinate many. The aim of the mod will be to make the gameplay harder, following the original Don't Starve storyline and providing some more story. However, DST will probably be released fully before this mod is, as there might be some changes depending on what Klei will plan later on. The name of the mod is a secret, and will only be revealed to those who participate in the mod creation and will be trusted not to tell the public of it until it is announced. The mod will contain features such as more content on the current world of DS (more mobs, items, trees, rocks, craftables etc.), more stats (energy, thirst, oxygen, excretion, healthiness etc.), more equip slots (backpack slot, neck slot, trouser slot, feet slot, hand slot and may be some others. New craftables will be possible to equip on those slots and may be the current stuff as well. This will make the game harder as current stuff, like puffy veat will be nerfed and new stuff will add with it to make the character keep warm in winter.), behaviours and more stats for mobs (e.g. Warrior pigs will not be hostile. Pigs will have pig farmers, and may be pig miners and hunters. This would require a whole big update for the mod, however. They would have hunger, thirst and energy stats added and they would not just have health that would be needed. This would make the meaning of Don't Starve to a whole new level), biomes changing as seasons do (for example, the grass biome would be made up of grass turfs during all seasons, except autumn, during which the biome would be full of decidous turfs, to make the autumy feel in the game and insicate the player when the autumn is actually there.), underwater world(full of new content. One idea I am proud of is the Pearl amulet, which you could equip on your neck instead of having to use an Oxygen tank on your back, giving you a slot for a backpack to use to store stuff while you're underwater.), new adventure mode(the name of the mod will explain this. The end of this adventure mode is not fully developed yet, so any cool ideas will be welcome.), new mobs (e.g Bullet ant, Meerfox, Pinehog, Owlynx etc.) and probably much more. If you have any skill in modding (note I am looking for people who can make good textures, animate, report bugs properly and/or program) then please send me a PM telling me that you want to apply and help out on this mod and what skills you have in modding. The more people we get, the faster the mod will move on and the faster we'll be able to announce this to public. Please participate as I really am keen in developing this as it would be a great addition to the game.

Right now there is me working on animations whilst being the main developer, and Lampofulmine who is working on textures for the mod.

Remember, even if you can help out only just once a week or so, but you have great skill in this, you can still be part of this. Any good help is accepted. The more people working on this, the better.

Please follow this topic for further notice about the mod. Thank you.

Good luck with all of that.

Writing new game from start to finish seems to be more doable than what you want to do.

You think that the stuff I want to add is just too complicated to do? Well I think that there's always a catch and stuff I listed is doable if you know where to look and where to change what:

1. More equipment stacks: someone's already done this, thought not as much as I've planned.

2. More stats: Same as previous one: already done. There's thirst already in a mod, and the Wunk the Punk mod has that highness meter.

3. Changing behaviors and adding new stats for mobs: Changing behaviors would probably be mainly looking and changing stuff in the brains of the mob. New stats would probably be as simple as Player's stats.

4. Making certain biomes change as seasons do: think about how snow appears in winter. Does that ring any bells?

5. Underwater world: people have worked on Up and Away, where there's a cloud world, a lot like caves. Taking this as an example, creating underwater world would not be too much of a challenge.

6. New adventure mode: If one does simply make one adventure mode, then one does simply make another.

7. New craftables and harder recipes: already done. Just needs some improvement and I can put a giant tick on that one.

It seems like most modders just like to change what is already in the game or just make something based entirely on something that is already in the game and do not want to experiment on anything new. This is the only mod I actually want to make so far and I'll commit to it, even if it gets finished by the time I'm 80 or something.

You think that the stuff I want to add is just too complicated to do? Well I think that there's always a catch and stuff I listed is doable if you know where to look and where to change what:

1. More equipment stacks: someone's already done this, thought not as much as I've planned.

2. More stats: Same as previous one: already done. There's thirst already in a mod, and the Wunk the Punk mod has that highness meter.

3. Changing behaviors and adding new stats for mobs: Changing behaviors would probably be mainly looking and changing stuff in the brains of the mob. New stats would probably be as simple as Player's stats.

4. Making certain biomes change as seasons do: think about how snow appears in winter. Does that ring any bells?

5. Underwater world: people have worked on Up and Away, where there's a cloud world, a lot like caves. Taking this as an example, creating underwater world would not be too much of a challenge.

6. New adventure mode: If one does simply make one adventure mode, then one does simply make another.

7. New craftables and harder recipes: already done. Just needs some improvement and I can put a giant tick on that one.

It seems like most modders just like to change what is already in the game or just make something based entirely on something that is already in the game and do not want to experiment on anything new. This is the only mod I actually want to make so far and I'll commit to it, even if it gets finished by the time I'm 80 or something.

Snow covers whole world. Iterating upon list of tiles to change their color will lag the hell out of game, changing something on the biome area would be hard. Recoloring the snow not so much.

Like I said, good luck on your joruney. I will wait for that mod, or parts of it to see it all.

Snow covers whole world. Iterating upon list of tiles to change their color will lag the hell out of game, changing something on the biome area would be hard. Recoloring the snow not so much.

Like I said, good luck on your joruney. I will wait for that mod, or parts of it to see it all.

Pfft, the hell with the lag. I eat lag for breakfast (jk)!

The lag might be an issue, however, a function could be added, which only changes the biome a few tiles away from the player's camera visualization, ergo, as the player moves, the tiles change without the player noticing and it seems like the whole thing has changed already. Thought of this just as you talked about the lag problem. Problem solved. It's sad that so many people see potential in the idea of this, but none's keep on helping out even a little bit, just because it seems so difficult. My exams are harder than this D:<

I wish you luck as well! As for attracting interest in helping, well, the mod looks like a lot of work. Up and Away was been in development for over a year and still hasn't been completed. And this is with a lot of talented people working on it. People only have so much free time.

You might want to start a little smaller. Try dividing the project into modules. You could later combine them to make the whole mod.

I wish you luck as well! As for attracting interest in helping, well, the mod looks like a lot of work. Up and Away was been in development for over a year and still hasn't been completed. And this is with a lot of talented people working on it. People only have so much free time.

You might want to start a little smaller. Try dividing the project into modules. You could later combine them to make the whole mod.

True. It's sad that everyone has little time. I myself don't have my laptop to use very often either. But I won't give up, it's an amazing mod idea, and once released to general public, I'm sure a lot of you will be fascinated. Right now I'm in need of some more programmers. We only have one right now and he doesn't have much free time lately. What I'm thinking of doing now is to make the general things into the mod, so that the details could be added later on.

Archived