Do Fire Darts Burn Gears to Ashes?

As noted, use fire darts to soften them up then go in for the killing blows with something else like a spear.

Actually, I like using Tentacle Spikes or ham bats in the early game instead. By mid game, you'll have access to magical weapons. Late game gets you the Thulecite Club and bat bat.

I tried to get a tentacle spike, but the tentacles only dropped monster meat and then I messed up the hit and run timing and a tentacle killed me. I think next time I will bring the pigs to fight the tentacles, I need their meat anyway.

Another question: Is it possible that there are no beefalos on a map? I explored almost the entire map and didn't find any so far, which isn't good since I want their wool for winter clothing and a beefalo horn.

I tried to get a tentacle spike, but the tentacles only dropped monster meat and then I messed up the hit and run timing and a tentacle killed me. I think next time I will bring the pigs to fight the tentacles, I need their meat anyway.

Another question: Is it possible that there are no beefalos on a map? I explored almost the entire map and didn't find any so far, which isn't good since I want their wool for winter clothing and a beefalo horn.

While uncommon, it is possible.

Don't decide that's true until you explore the entire map though. Even one or two beefalo are possible in an entire world, but they breed asexually at least. If no beefalo, only the Teleportato can help you short of cheating them in. 

Archived