Intentional or Exploit?

Place an agent directly behind a door and activate over watch. Get the attention of a guard. Guard opens door and WHAM!

Pin guard with agent directly behind door. Open door to get the attention of another guard. Guard opens door and is alerted. Close door. Guard can't do nothing. Wait for over watch to recharge. Guard opens door and is alerted again. Shut door again. Drag pinned guard to the side. Stand directly behind door. Activate over watch. Guard opens door and WHAM!

Rinse and repeat.

Place an agent directly behind a door and activate over watch. Get the attention of a guard. Guard opens door and WHAM!

I guess you can put that one in the exploit category. Knocking out a guard seems to only be possible when you're in his back or side, so I suppose it's not intended to be able to melee them that way.

Pin guard with agent directly behind door. Open door to get the attention of another guard. Guard opens door and is alerted. Close door. Guard can't do nothing. Wait for over watch to recharge. Guard opens door and is alerted again. Shut door again. Drag pinned guard to the side. Stand directly behind door. Activate over watch. Guard opens door and WHAM!

That one is a bit more tricky. The game always lets you take your action first and then makes the guards shoot you. That's how we are able to escape a guard attention, or shoot them before they shoot us.

But in the situation you point out, it can look like an exploit... well, until another guard comes in, and uses the overwatch glitch to shoot you instantly :grin:

So, in terms of logic, solving that one is pretty hard. If the guards are able to shoot you before you take any kind of action, that means that it will be a lot more difficult to escape dire situations. One way would be to restrict the actions our agents can take before getting shot by a guard. In short, we should not be able to interact with a door when a guard is in overwatch. But it's sad, because it limits the possibility to overcome tensed circumstances.

Or maybe it should depend on the difficulty you're playing in ? For example, easy mode allows you to do anything you want when you're seen by a guard, while in normal mode you can't interact with doors, and if one day there's a hard mode, we wouldn't be able to shoot them as well.

Anyway, using a door that way could seem a bit too powerful, but at the same time, I have to admit it's quite satisfying to shut a door at the nose of a guard and disappear into thin air ! (I'm kidding, I'm just hiding behind a console *teeheehee*)

PS : Unrelated to the subjet, since you are a mod, can you tell me how to edit my posts ? I couldn't find the edit button anywhere :( Thank you !

@Sorenson the edit button is located bottom right of the post you made. But I'm not sure you can edit until you've posted a certain amount of comments. I could be completely wrong about that because I've never had this problem. Sorry.

5 posts. And technically I think they are both exploits, but need a Dev to confirm this was unintended for both. 

Rinse and repeat.

Well, two downsides to this technique I can see, the alarm is going up all those turns you're waiting for overwatch to cool and more importantly, you can't camp on two guards at once(well, you can in certain situations, but not this one), this reduces repeatability drastically without the use of extra weapons, other agents and paralysers.

Well, two downsides to this technique I can see, the alarm is going up all those turns you're waiting for overwatch to cool and more importantly, you can't camp on two guards at once(well, you can in certain situations, but not this one), this reduces repeatability drastically without the use of extra weapons, other agents and paralysers.

You're not doing this all the time. This "technique/exploit" is most efficient when there are multiple guards that are converging on your location. I'm pretty sure you can't pull this trick off if there are more than 2 guards alerted to you, I'll need to test this out. But essentially by keeping an agent directly behind a door and ending your turn while a guard is alerted to you, you wait for the guard to open the door then on your turn close the door. Repeat. This gives your other agents time to get to your location and lend a hand.

I was able to this on a mission in endless mode. It proved to be very successful. But I felt really bad doing it.

Archived