Volt Disrupter Impressions, Strategies

So on my last run through Story Mode, I made sure to pick up the new Volt Disrupter and check it out. The Volt Disrupter works the same as the Neural Disrupter apart from it has no cooldown and instead uses 3/5/7 PWR (depending on the level) to taze guards.

Using the taser proved a little wasteful as I didn't find myself in many instances where I needed to attack twice in two turns, so mostly all I was really getting out of it was the PWR hit. You can also make the mistake of upgrading to the Mk II too soon, which has Armour Piercing I but uses 5 PWR, so on early levels where you're not encountering many armoured guards, the weapon becomes more wasteful as zapping regular guards still costs the extra PWR (you'd think it would have a power setting).

All this left me low on PWR often, once I got Internationale's hacking skill up and invested in a Portable Server III it was much more manageable, but I never upgraded to the Mk III, it would feel like too much of a waste to use it on an unarmoured guard.

All in all I think the no cooldown benefit is reduced because you don't always need it, and when you do you need the PWR to pull it off, using it can put you in a low PWR situation quickly and mess up your Fusion generation. My advice would be to use it alongside Internationale, hold off on upgrading it and use Fusion (as risky as it is, it's the best way to keep your PWR up).

Plays well with: Stims, Portable Servers, Accelerator Chips, Parasite

One of the main uses I think, haven't been able to try it out, is that they can knockout drones. They say they're immune to KO damage, but not to Volt damage. Might actually completely fry them.

But yes the cost makes them prohibitive to use.

Archived