Telaportato Vanilla to RoG?

I think it would be good for the game to change world settings and Rog/Vanilla game between jumps. In a way it makes sense story wize:

"Wilson wanted to leave the world for good. Activated Teleportato and was moved into a much more dangerous world; a world with Reign of Giants"

Or something like that.

And then he realized he's so alone, created a door that brought people to help him, blah, blah, blah...

You know the drill :)

It has to do with definition builds. The game had the original definition and then the RoG world had new definitions for many old and some new items, structures, creatures, etc.

Look at the ice Box? How do you craft it? Is it One Board, 2 Gold and one gear or One Cut Stone 2 gold and One Gear? Which one works from one world to the next?

Exactly. 

Technically, we're not talking a few changes, but a complete overhaul. Even items carried "from one world to the next" to RoG would be of a different version and risk serious conflicts as much as using modded items can potentially cause conflicts/a crash if not carefully built into the latest version (and this is why mods were disabled and had to be updated again for RoG.) 

So for this, the world generations have do be done independently from vanilla and RoG types. 

So there simply is no way to go from old to new or vice versa :(

It has to do with definition builds. The game had the original definition and then the RoG world had new definitions for many old and some new items, structures, creatures, etc.

Look at the ice Box? How do you craft it? Is it One Board, 2 Gold and one gear or One Cut Stone 2 gold and One Gear? Which one works from one world to the next?

Exactly. 

Technically, we're not talking a few changes, but a complete overhaul. Even items carried "from one world to the next" to RoG would be of a different version and risk serious conflicts as much as using modded items can potentially cause conflicts/a crash if not carefully built into the latest version (and this is why mods were disabled and had to be updated again for RoG.) 

So for this, the world generations have do be done independently from vanilla and RoG types. 

So there simply is no way to go from old to new or vice versa :(

I don't think that different recipes for a certain craftable matters. If it's prebuilt, it's prebuilt. Yes, this would need a lot of work, but hei, it doesn't mean it's impossible, right?

I don't think that different recipes for a certain craftable matters. If it's prebuilt, it's prebuilt. Yes, this would need a lot of work, but hei, it doesn't mean it's impossible, right?

I apologize it was not clear. The craftables are not the only thing that has changes, but the entire database of the world has. 

It's like asking why you can't run your Windows 8 program on a Windows xp one?  The programs do the same things but one is no longer like the other anymore, even if you can switch running from one to another just fine. 

So you're saying that certain things that you could move into the world would be completely differently programmed in a RoG version than Vanilla? Well, I guess that kind of could crash the game.

But what about changing the world options between the jumps? I don't see why that wouldn't be possible?

So you're saying that certain things that you could move into the world would be completely differently programmed in a RoG version than Vanilla? Well, I guess that kind of could crash the game.

But what about changing the world options between the jumps? I don't see why that wouldn't be possible?

I really stink at programming, and I also have to translate this into layperson. So if anybody else wants to chastise my explanation and do better, by all means. 

it's not about allowing summer or winter or rain, it's allowing a whole programming change that in some ways, is no longer the same one you started/finished with. 

The Don't Starve world is a world with assets. Imagine the world has its own rules how to govern things and also calls for items that are stored informationally in (let's call it a) database. Now, the how it's made properties are stored here in this database. The how it works or interacts in the world are stored in the running program.

With vanilia, we all know how this was set up for the stuff you interact with be it a tree, a pond, or an item you can take with you. Other items can remove one item and call another. Think of an axe to tree to firewood and pine cones.  Other assets were monsters or allies and had their own subroutines or AI and also could react to environmental calls. Why pigs run home at night, EXCEPT if there is a threat nearby, BUT sleep if night and outside..etc. 

Now imagine all of this relationally coded to interact with each other in the program when "the world is generated."

if the whole system it's based on stays the same, fine. We can add new items, or even code another area (eg caves) in and can work around any difficulties with little to no problem.

But imagine you have another system entirely, with its own rules and conditions and environments, but is very similar to the last world. The problem isn't "updating the item database" to make it work in the next world, or "toggling a season or effect on or off" the problem is it's completely rewritten to interact than the way it was first generated.

it's like taking a puzzle piece of a sailboat on a lake and trying to put it in a new puzzle of a sailboat in the ocean. Updating the sails or rigging won't matter if they are different things that are both puzzles, even if made the same way. 

So while we can "toggle" the new version on and off-its addition based off of the core programming at its base level-it has to make a new game setup entirely, and new associations or risk causing corruptions with incompatible values. 

This also holds true why mods "can mess up a RoG game but work fine in earlier games" and needed to be updated as well. 

The "tools have to match the generated game" if you will. 

So, I hope this explains it better.

And if you wanted to make a mod that somehow did this, best of luck in figuring it out, and may you have the hours and staff to do it. 

Archived