It took me a few plays, but now I'm hooked

I gotta say, this game is great. And with a few tweaks here and there, it's going to be amazing. I'll leave my critiques for another post; right now I just want to share my most recent experience that got me completely hooked.

Honestly, I don't think I'm very good at Invisible Inc. I've put several hours into it and only just passed my second mission. However, passing that mission was the most exhilarating experience I've had playing a game in recent memory. 

I had split Shalem 11 and Internationale up, and Internationale found the exit while Shalem happened upon the majority of safes. I hurried to get Shalem back to the exit, and that was my undoing. I moved him as fast as possible, he ended up without any cover, and a guard walked in.

With Shalem down, I put Internationale in the exit and was greeted by a message saying something like “Are you sure you want to leave an agent behind?” Just as I was about to reluctantly press Yes, I remembered that I'd passed a shop earlier and there might be a chance I could grab a Medgel, work my way through the guards, revive Shalem, and get back to the lift. “Screw it,” I thought and hit No.

I didn’t really expect to be successful. I’d failed miserably so many times at this game, but I’d learned several deaths ago that (at least as a beginner) it's best not to take Invisible Inc. too seriously and use each game as a learning experience. However, once I had obtained a medgel and worked Internationale into the same room as Shalem, I unknowingly threw my casual approach out the window and began meticulously planning each move. When I revived my fallen agent, I felt a surge of adrenaline I can only compare to the rush I felt several minutes later when I exited the level with both agents intact. At the character upgrade screen, I exhaled properly for the first time in ten minutes and realized that my arms were trembling. I never thought I could have THAT strong of a reaction to a turn based game. In retrospect I realize this achievement wasn't incredibly significant, but as the time it felt like the greatest accomplishment of my life.

So, to any new Invisible Inc. players, I suggest you don’t start out with the mindset that Invisible Inc. is a hardcore strategy game, but let your attitude change as your strategy does. And to Klei I want to say wow! Congratulations on making a great experience that is only going to get better.

I’d learned several deaths ago that (at least as a beginner) it's best not to take Invisible Inc. too seriously and use each game as a learning experience.

This tells me you will eventually win the game. And not just the part I bolded, although that plays the largest role. You're smart enough to try and play casually while learning the rules of the game. You're patient enough to accept that you won't win every time.

This is how you succeed at these games. Victory is earned through many, MANY failures.

Congrats on making it out of that mission alive, it sounds rough.

I agree that moments like that make the game amazing. I've had a few similar experiences, and it's always a rush (even when I make a mistake that gets everyone killed, and don't realise until it's too late to undo).

Yeah the close encounters in this game are AMAZING! I was in a room with a stationary guard looking away. I had 2 agents in there, and there was another guard in the room next to that. In another room was a guard investigating a point of interest. The agents were in the open and then the one guard looking for me busted in and made the other two guards aim their guns on me also. I didn't know which guard was looking at who because of all the red but after close inspection I was able to move both of them to a desk although it looked like the guards would've been able to see me.

I was hidden. Deckard equipped his cloak and took out one of the guards so Internationale could get to the exit.Bad idea, the cloak deactivated and he was gunned down. Luckily my other agent ran towards the exit and made it. She also completed the next mission solo although it was just as close   :joyous: Thank you Klei.

I just bought the game on Saturday and got so frustrated with failure and restart that I filled all the save slots with a team that had completed their first mission.

Then I played each team's second mission (3 survived!)

Now I'm playing the third mission (1 failed, 1 succeeded and one's yet to be played).

There can be only one. ;)

Starting out with 4 teams makes the failures easier to swallow.

That and I'm steadily getting better.

I just bought the game on Saturday and got so frustrated with failure and restart that I filled all the save slots with a team that had completed their first mission.

Then I played each team's second mission (3 survived!)

Now I'm playing the third mission (1 failed, 1 succeeded and one's yet to be played).

There can be only one. ;)

Starting out with 4 teams makes the failures easier to swallow.

That and I'm steadily getting better.

That's...actually a pretty damn good idea!

I finally got around to having some real time to play, instead of the two short 30 minute sessions I've had before, and I have to say, wow Klei, you've done it again. Excellent game once again. I do have to say I'm glad I waited with the purchase until after the beta release, I think I'd have burned myself out on the alpha, but now it feels quite polished already, and there's only more to come :D

Managed to bring Internationale and Shalem to the final mission, can't wait to play again so I can tackle that. Had some pretty heated moments sometimes with narrow escapes from situations I didn't think I'd get out of, including a firefight around the Nano Fab. Had no money, but used the money from corpses to buy me a reload which just narrowly got me by. Snuck out the prisoner afterwards, which netted me a nice bonus again. Really fun.

Can't wait to see what more you guys will bring to this game. Thanks once again.

Archived