Death and Resurrection Options in DST

Hello Don't Starve Fans and Klei! 

In this post I would like to discuss the options a player has in multiplayer when he dies. 
Since Don't Starve is a Survival-(Horror :D)- Game the aspect of survival has a great impact on what the game feels like. 

Death:

Currently death is not always the end of the game. You can activate touchstones and later on build meat effigies! 

But how are these structues supposed to work in DST?

We know touchstones are not renewable and keeping that in mind death is still a dramatic incident for the player. He loses all of his loot, life, sanity and hunger are set to half upon resurrection. Eventually the location of the touchstone is rather bad -> it is winter/summer and you have no heat/cooling recource nearby.

The question is: Should any player be revived at any activated touchstone? 
Or should that player be revived by touchstones he activated him/herself? 

Same counts for the meat effigies: Does a meat effigy revive any dead player? Or only the one who constructed it?
This leeds to the next question: Does the decrease of your maximum health caused by effigies (30) count for all players or the one who build them? 

Real death:

But what's gonna happen if you die for real and no touchstones or meat effigies are left?

Well, the easiest way to handle this would be real perma death, but for real: Who wants to keep playing alone? I guess perma death in DST should only be possible if ALL players are dead.

So... what does the player do when he died?

To keep everyone updated:
On June 20 Seth Rosen (Designer) already talked about some sort of ghost status
Here is the link: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/37668-fireside-chats-with-a-video-game-designer-june-20-2014/

I think this ghost statues is exactly the right way to deal with it, but how can you come back to life?
Will you need other players help? What can the dead/ghost player do in his insubstantial form? 

People had awesome ideas like a special resurrection ritual by Zamiel
http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/37971-yet-another-revival-scheme/?p=507433

Death usually ends the game, all effort will be gone, making it a harsh experience. 
In multiplayer this effect should remain, being unable to interact with the world, unable to pick up items or fights mobs should be enough punishment. Eventually you emmit some light in your ghost status but for now:
I want everyone to post is own answer / opinion on this topic below and hopefully Klei will see what we expect Don't Starve Together to be.

I think touchstones and meat effigies should have an option to be shared, so you could use it with your friend or not. And when a friend dies, it would be nice to have some kind of magic craftable "resurrection potion", to use on your friends ghost or something like that, and it works like the life amulet, its a nearly-endless way of having infinite lives. But obviously, if all players die, the game is over.

What really troubles me is what recources will be needed to craft resurrecting items. On the one hand at the realy state of the game you are unlikely to find many gems to craft a live giving amulet or the needed Shadow manipulator, on the other hand there are touchstones. 
But resurrecting someone later on will be somewhat 'too easy' since you have shitloads of recources in your base. But yea for sure there should be something to revive someone even if all touchstones / meat effigies are gone. :)

Yeah, until they figure out how to rebalance resources for multiple players (and even that total number of players can fluctuate from game to game or even in game) it's not clear how "building planning" for resurrection items (if even accepted) should be done.

Most likely the game server host can choose to toggle death/resurrection options like we can chose items in a custom world. 

Players should be able to use meat effigies, amulets and touchstones to revive others. However it would be too easy. One idea to make it harder: When one of the players dies others sanity drops to 0 and can't be refilled. It restores only after all players are back to life.

I think it'll work like this (prepare for code talk):

For meat effigies

If *playername* builds "resurrectionstatue" (meat effigy) then it will be bound to *playername*.

Touch Stones

If *playername* activates "resurrectionstone" (touch stone) then it will be bound to *playername* or bound to *all players*.

Life Giving Amulet

If *playername* is wearing "amulet" (life giving amulet) then it will revive *playername* if player dies.

Players should be able to use meat effigies, amulets and touchstones to revive others. However it would be too easy. One idea to make it harder: When one of the players dies others sanity drops to 0 and can't be refilled. It restores only after all players are back to life.

I know you can survive in insanity but no.

Why not? It would prevent from long waiting after death by forcing players to focus on reviving dead one. Also it would be more "uncompromising" and players would fear of the dead. Death can't be just an easy obstacle which can be defeated without troubles.

Don't Starve always was a game of many tries. With those easy reviving mechanics even beginners would survive as long as they want. I think this game shouldn't loose it's "Die and play again" aspect.

Archived