Trouble with creature creation

So, I am following the Klei tutorials to create a new insanity monster, and am (unsurprisingly) failing hilariously.  I got past the first two parts, but after following the instructions on the third, a strange crash is occuring.  After enabling the mod, the menu music stops and the menu freezes completely.

I'm pretty sure it's something really stupid and obvious, but any help would be appreciated.  Thanks for reading.

After enabling the mod, the menu music stops and the menu freezes completely.

Aye, I don't get error screens anymore, just all sounds stopping and nothing being clickable (Menu and in-game)

What you want to do is go "documents/klei/DoNotStarve/log.txt" and then I do ctrl-f and typ "trace". This'll take you to the error.

Aye, I don't get error screens anymore, just all sounds stopping and nothing being clickable (Menu and in-game)

What you want to do is go "documents/klei/DoNotStarve/log.txt" and then I do ctrl-f and typ "trace". This'll take you to the error.

There were only two lines referencing the mod, both were just about enabling and disabling it.

I've found when this happens it is usually related to one of the anim files specifically. I believe my issue was misnaming one of the atlases.

Hope it helps.

I checked and double checked them; everything seems to be correct.

Am I supposed to have an "anim" folder with an anim.bin, atlas-0, and build.bin files?  Because if so, that's why it's broken.

Oop, hang on.  There's some new stuff there.

C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/../mods/slither/modmain.lua(17,1)
        =(tail call) ?
        =[C] in function 'xpcall'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(15,1)
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mods.lua(424,1) in function 'SimPostInit'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(880,1) in function 'DoInitGame'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(1018,1) in function 'cb'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/saveindex.lua(512,1)
        =[C] in function 'GetPersistentString'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/saveindex.lua(489,1) in function 'GetSaveData'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(1020,1) in function 'DoLoadWorld'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/saveindex.lua(91,1) in function 'Load'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(1189,1) in function 'callback'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/playerprofile.lua(571,1) in function 'Set'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/playerprofile.lua(455,1)
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/playerprofile.lua(453,1) in function 'Load'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/gamelogic.lua(1188,1) in main chunk
        =[C] in function 'require'
        C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/mainfunctions.lua(651,1)    
scripts/mods.lua(226,1) Disabling slither (Slither!) because it had an error.    
scripts/frontend.lua(723,1) SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen  

The problem is how you declare the prefab in your prefab file.  It was like this:

return Prefab( "monsters/tut03", init_prefab, assets, nil)

When it should be like this:

return Prefab( "monsters/slither", init_prefab, assets, nil)

An easy mistake to make (made it dozens of times with my mods).  It wasn't working before because that little name is what you reference your prefab as if you want to spawn it.  The game was freezing because in it tried to define two prefabs with the same name (yours and the tutorial one).  Worked fine for me after replacing that.

Heh, I bet you all thought I had got the hang of it.  Nope, I have more problems that probably have really simple solutions.

I followed the instructions for the stategraphs tutorial, but right at the end I got a strange bug; now Slither appears for a half-second and then becomes invisible or despawns or something.

Archived