Has anyone considered "Hardcore Spawn" as a solution for Permadeath?

I play a Minecraft total conversion called Better Than Wolves.

The creator, FlowerChild, wanted to make death matter. He removed the ability to sleep in a bed and put more focus on your original spawn point.

If you die in Better Than Wolves you will drop your items where you died (just like vanilla) and spawn anywhere within a radius of 2000 blocks of the original spawn point.

Usually, a respawn would mean you have to start from scratch and work your way up the tech tree (Wood --> Stone --> Iron --> Redstone -->Compass) to find your way back to your original spawn point. It is designed to make the player be much more cautious about death and brings value to the original spawn point.

I can see this being the elegant solution that people seem to be looking for with Permadeath. If you or a friend die, you will spawn SOMEWHERE on the map, but will have to work your way back up to prepare for the journey back to wherever you died.

Anyone see any flaws with this idea?

It wouldn't work in many situations because you could just keep killing yourself until you were closer to where you were. but even if the map was lost on death, it could become very frustrating if you died to weather because you'd definitely die right when you spawned again because you'd have nothing to keep you shielded from the weather.

Also, though it's just semantics, I'd rather there be a casual mode, and the real mode be default. So if people want to remove a main element of the game to make it easy, go for it, not the other way around.

it (sadly) wouldn't work. It works fine in Better Than Wolves because the world is infinite and the radius of the spawn can be quite far, but in Don't Starve the world is relatively very small and there's maps that open by just pressing tab, and if you remove the maps there's no way at all for the player to find his way back home. Hardcore Spawn would definitely be cool, but it wouldn't work in Don't Starve.

but at least I have found that I'm not the only BTW player in this forum :)

It wouldn't work in many situations because you could just keep killing yourself until you were closer to where you were. but even if the map was lost on death, it could become very frustrating if you died to weather because you'd definitely die right when you spawned again because you'd have nothing to keep you shielded from the weather.

it has a anti-spam system in which if you die again in a short period of time, you'll respawn in the same place

Archived