[Mod Request] Notepad and/or Pencil tool on the map.

I apologize for posting a request as my first post, I understand how that may appear to some of you.

I'm inept at these sorts of things, I know it would be terribly simple to code a collapsible notepad into the game, and/or code a mod to allow a red pencil tool on the map. I was just gifted this game and have played 14 hours in the last two days. I'm genuinely shocked that this doesn't exist already, as it almost seems like a necessity to be able to do so. However, if it does, I was unable to locate it and would appreciate a link. Dropping a thank you to a fantastically helpful community <3

In order to balance this (?) there are a few things that could be done via. Science stations.

Red pencil: Berries x2 + Sticks x2, (Or charcoal and something) Unlocks use of the pencil, limited use or permanent.

Notepad can be unlocked via. Papyrus + Charcoal ect.

Any feed back on this would also be appreciated, I can imagine if it's not in the game already that a reason exists for it.

A hearty thank you to everyone.

I've always seen it as a nice challenge to remember spots of interest, such as mushroom fields for example, with nothing but sign markers. If you don't think that's enough, maybe look at the more signs mod (or something like that) or at the more minimap icons mod (again, quotation needed).

I've always seen it as a nice challenge to remember spots of interest, such as mushroom fields for example, with nothing but sign markers. If you don't think that's enough, maybe look at the more signs mod (or something like that) or at the more minimap icons mod (again, quotation needed).

Indeed but as far as I've read most players just leave sign posts along with a trap or another item that shows up on the map to remember. It just seems like it takes more time reading and going over notes then it does playing. 

I know it would be terribly simple to code a collapsible notepad into the game, and/or code a mod to allow a red pencil tool on the map.

if you know "how its simple" why you dont want to do it by your own? ;)

"pencil on map" is probably impossible, but i can be wrong here

if you know "how its simple" why you dont want to do it by your own? ;)

"pencil on map" is probably impossible, but i can be wrong here

As I had stated right at the beginning of my post "I'm inept at these sorts of things". 

Also, someone made an entire other world in the "Up and Away" mod, including new items, mobs, and biomes. I would bet it may take a matter of a few hours to add a notepad for someone with experience in modding. On the second point, I highly doubt that it would be impossible to add a pencil tool to the map. You could even use existing code for FoW. Thank you though.

what is FoW?

Up and Away is still under development and its takes alot of days to make it.

Personally i dont see any point from notepad.

For marking places, i am using moded signs/chests, which able to show text when mouse hover it.

As I had stated right at the beginning of my post "I'm inept at these sorts of things". 

Also, someone made an entire other world in the "Up and Away" mod, including new items, mobs, and biomes. I would bet it may take a matter of a few hours to add a notepad for someone with experience in modding. On the second point, I highly doubt that it would be impossible to add a pencil tool to the map. You could even use existing code for FoW. Thank you though.

Fog of War? I think it'd take more effort to make something in the way you imagine it from that than it is to install one of those several signs mods. Possible, but way too tall of an order considering the other options.

But if you really wanna scribble on your map, take a screenshot and open it in paint :p

@Kipzor Making a world has no relation to the map tools whatsoever.  I've made new worlds, and I can say that they aren't the hardest thing to do (based on the complexity of your world, of course).  The map tools would be difficult / impossible because the map is different from everything else in its code.  Trying to mod it would most likely break something or other.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Still looking for a way to organize my to-do list without alt tabbing the game every few minutes. I didn't know about the sign mods, that can be helpful. However, with a marker mod it's not really needed anymore. An in-game notepad would still be really helpful.

I apologize for posting a request as my first post, I understand how that may appear to some of you.

I'm inept at these sorts of things, I know it would be terribly simple to code a collapsible notepad into the game, and/or code a mod to allow a red pencil tool on the map. I was just gifted this game and have played 14 hours in the last two days. I'm genuinely shocked that this doesn't exist already, as it almost seems like a necessity to be able to do so. However, if it does, I was unable to locate it and would appreciate a link. Dropping a thank you to a fantastically helpful community <3

In order to balance this (?) there are a few things that could be done via. Science stations.

Red pencil: Berries x2 + Sticks x2, (Or charcoal and something) Unlocks use of the pencil, limited use or permanent.

Notepad can be unlocked via. Papyrus + Charcoal ect.

Any feed back on this would also be appreciated, I can imagine if it's not in the game already that a reason exists for it.

A hearty thank you to everyone.

Archived