Together with Friends?

Ok so here's my question. I'm trying to figure out how the mechanics of setting up a multiplayer session with Dont' Starve Together will work out. Basically my best friend got me into this game, she bought me the Steam code for my birthday, and this was after her roommate got her a copy for Christmas. There's also a mutual friend of ours that has the game but doesn't really play it very often, we still think we can sucker her into a multiplayer game with us. So basically that's our team of four. I guess what I'm trying to ask is whether or not we can register other players as "friends", how that would work when setting up multiplayer worlds, and whether it will be compatible with Steam friends for the Steam version. Because while I'm sure I might be willing to play with new people online when DST comes out, I think I would rather lose my DS multiplayer virginity with people that I already know (especially since this is the first time in forever that I have friends that are into the same game I am that would be willing to do a multiplayer game with me.)

Not to really be off topic, but I kinda expected a lot more multi-player discussion coming out of Klei for this. I know they don't have 100% concrete ideas for it, but the staff sharing opinions about community ideas would be nice.

Or maybe they are spying us all, taking notes from a distance, watching, silently.

Shadow_Watcher.png

I've read on Klei's Twitter that they're still uncertain how the server system will work, but that it will be made so it's good for *us* and Klei themselves, and that as soon as they have figured it out will let *us* know. Source: https://twitter.com/klei/status/464120029970055168 . However the system will be, I'm quite sure it will have ways to make it so only your friends can join your game (like inviting them through Steam chat, for example). Time will tell!

Not to really be off topic, but I kinda expected a lot more multi-player discussion coming out of Klei for this. I know they don't have 100% concrete ideas for it, but the staff sharing opinions about community ideas would be nice.

Or maybe they are spying us all, taking notes from a distance, watching, silently.

Shadow_Watcher.png

The developers are super busy right now. There should be more stuff coming soon though. Can't wait :)

I see. Personally as far as how to set up a multiplayer session, with the amount of resources the game uses (which isn't much) and the max size of a multiplayer party being 4, I say set it to where Player 1 hosts the world on his/her computer and Players 2-4 connect over a network connection. Kind of like how Borderlands 2 does coop games. This would allow for network play without needing any third-party servers (maybe a server to handle matchmaking for public games but that doesn't take that many resources and is easy to set up). The only issue I can forsee is say is how this would tie in with the savegame and perma-death mechanics as it would make it so that everyone dies if player 1 dies (kinda like the protagonists from Shin Megami Tensei games). But that's something Klei will have to figure out anyway.

Also, while we're on the subject of PvP, I think that there should be a "disable friendly fire" option on the world creation screen which would prohibit players from hurting each other when enabled. That way you don't try and host a multiplayer game and get a bunch of jerkasses who PK you just for the hell of it. However I think you should have the option to disable it if you're the game host. You know, just in case you ever want to reenact the Hunger Games.

Archived