Why do some mods work with Reign of Giants and Vanilla, and others only work with one?

I'm starting to finish off my mod, and I'm polishing out all of the last little bits so that I can release it onto the steam workshop.

My mod only works on RoG. I don't know why, and I don't know how to make it so you can only use it on RoG either. (like Wigfrid and Webber are only playable on RoG)

The only thing I can really think of right now is my build.bin having something specific to RoG in it.

I'd like to know;

How to disable Vanilla (or RoG)? (to prevent the game from crashing for people who download it)

and Why certain things work in Vanilla, or RoG, but why they work in the other?

Please help, thank you in advance

The engine is the same as far as I'm aware (and animation/image formats aren't different), but RoG/vanilla use different script files. All of the script files in data/DLC0001/scripts take precedence over their counterparts in data/scripts when RoG is enabled.

So, it really depends entirely on what you are doing and what problems you are having. To make a mod compatible with both, you'd have to make sure anything your mod changes is compatible with both the RoG and vanilla versions of the scripts (using IsDLCEnabled(REIGN_OF_GIANTS) to toggle between different behaviors in your mod).

thank you very much, I really don't know what I've put in there that's RoG specific >.< 

If I have a Build.bin from a player that can be hit by lightning, that won't stop me from being able to use it in vanilla will it? that's the only RoG specific thing I can think of to be honest

also when you said the scripts in the DLC take precedence did you mean that the Vanilla files are no longer used? or did you mean that if a RoG file contradicts it, then it will be ignored

thanks again

Things in the RoG folder overwrite things in the vanilla folder when a game is loaded with RoG enabled. So, yes, when a RoG save is loaded, any vanilla files that RoG changes are no longer used.

As for your problem, you could post the crash log (see the log.txt section of this thread). I also have no idea what you mean by "I have a Build.bin from a player that can be hit by lightning."

• Developer

In the next patch, I've added a way for modders to specify whether their mod is compatible with the base game, Reign of Giants, or both. Once the patch comes out, you'll just need to add a couple lines (I'll post more details with the patch notes) to your modinfo.lua file, and it will automatically disable/enable based on what modes you've said it is compatible with.

As @squeek said, for the two data/scripts folders, if there is a file that exists in the DLC0001 (Reign of Giants) folder that also exists in the base game folder, the Rog version of the file will get used when an RoG game is active and the base game version will be used when RoG is not active. Similarly, if a file only exists in the RoG folder, it will only be present during an RoG game.

In the next patch, I've added a way for modders to specify whether their mod is compatible with the base game, Reign of Giants, or both. Once the patch comes out, you'll just need to add a couple lines (I'll post more details with the patch notes) to your modinfo.lua file, and it will automatically disable/enable based on what modes you've said it is compatible with.

The default is "both", right?

• Developer

The default is "both", right?

Indeed: if neither is specified as a mode that the mod is compatible with (i.e. mods that haven't been updated yet), the game will enable the mod for both modes but spit out a warning in the log letting you know that it hasn't been specified as compatible and that there might be issues.

Indeed: if neither is specified as a mode that the mod is compatible with (i.e. mods that haven't been updated yet), the game will enable the mod for both modes but spit out a warning in the log letting you know that it hasn't been specified as compatible and that there might be issues.

As long as this warning is not prefixed with "ERROR:", this seems like a good approach.

thanks for the help :-) it turned out to be that I didn't prefab my starting item haha, for some reason you don't have to for RoG apparently

What does "prefab" mean when used as a verb? :razz:

As long as this warning is not prefixed with "ERROR:", this seems like a good approach.

What does "prefab" mean when used as a verb? :razz:

local prefabs = { "tophat" }       <----------- I just meant I forgot to add this line :)

local start_inv = 
{
"tophat"
}

Archived