Why not geysers? (And a glacial biome? Random tidbits!)

Howdy.

I recently visited a hot spring after a frigid night of camping and came upon the thought of having hot springs and geysers included as a world feature in a perpetually frozen biome. Yes I know there is already a cold mechanic attributed to winter and a corresponding heat mechanic associated to summer, but with the new seasonal and temperature extremes included in the new Reign of Giants DLC, I figured environments connected specifically to the new temperature mechanics could be kind of fun. I mean, take the desert biome for instance. It's great, but entering the desert during a season outside of summer is generally pretty safe (aside from the hounds, of course.) I think the prospect of ever entering an environment as punishing as the desert or as I suggest, a frozen tundra or glacier, should be mulled over and prepared for just as much as merely surviving the elements themselves. Specialized materials found only in these particular settings would make the action of venturing in or even surviving within each zone a consideration one takes into account when exploring. Listed below are some suggestions I think would help conceptualize the way these area work and how they may affect existing systems.

Tundra/Glacer:

-Tundras/glacier host the world's only reliable and source of ice.

-While Pengulls venture outside this area in the Winter, it is their natural habitat and can most readily be found here.

-Ice fishing would be a viable means to engage in subsistence within the environ, but pose a natural disadvantage and risk for its lack of materials, namely webbing for fishing lines. This is in part balanced by use of the spear to possibly catch fish, but is hindered by the fact that the materials to build the spear are too scarce in the vicinity.

-Geysers/hot springs allow for a constant means to maintain heat, but not light, forcing players to have sufficient materials to stay lit, it also affects the player heavily by allowing for a reliable heat source at the expense of constantly raising the player's 'wetness' level.

-Aurora occurs in place of the full moon to allow for a set timed reprieve without light.

-Possible dangers include all manner of winter based creatures, such as a snorkeling orca whale that pops through iced fishing holes to devour the character, I dub him "Snorka." With occasional visits from new favorites like our friend Bearger. (Polar Bearger)

-Subsistence farming is doable, though heavily taxed both in terms of the scarcity of materials and seeds, but is bolstered by the environ's natural ability to keep food fresh longer, which is stunted once again by reduced growth rates.

-Seasonal considerations play a part in that winter makes entering the glacier an especially dubious proposition, while doing so in summer lessen that risk though does not negate it entirely (freezing is always a possibility regardless of season.) 

Desert:

-Entering deserts and remaining for extended periods of time now carry the risk of overheating regardless of season like the glacier idea stated above, though it is conversely more pronounced in summer and less so in winter to reflect the natural converse to the tundra/glacial biome.

-During night, overheating no longer occurs allowing for relatively safer traversing of the area (disregarding of course Charlie and the hounds.)

Creature features:

-The Beager (and her cubs) are now a constant threat, though specifically, she is more concerned with wrecking the players food productive capacity/ability than targeting the player directly. She roams the map and can be encountered throughout the year except for within winter when she and her cubs are presumably in hibernation. She is not a recurring threat, but is a fixed persistent danger until dealt with. Her death does not stop her cubs from spawning and continuing to harass the player. Bees are an effective but costly means to repel her. (She destroys a player bee hive and eats all honey within ignoring the bees until all honey is eaten, then retreats. If all the honey has been eaten, she is hostile towards the bees themselves.) Once sated, she will lie down and sleep and remain in a fixed location until attacked or winter arrives.

-Bees are hostile to all creatures once their hive has been broken and will pursue until captured or killed.

These are just a few of the ideas that have been cooking in my head. It imbibes a more risk/reward dynamic into the game by regarding the situated environment itself as a threat, much like the risk one faces by voluntarily entering the cave biome to retrieve the precious and specialized materials. It rewards shifted conceptions of survival to one where the focus on situated agriculture is not the only means of surviving, but may be a possible liability in some environs.

Thanks for reading, and feel free to post you opinions. Have fun, and as always, Don't Starve!

Archived