From an Art suggestion to a Horrific idea

So on Reddit someone made some cool scary doodles for a suggestion for real horrors to show up from time to time. I expanded on the idea with a reply to the post here: http://www.reddit.com/r/dontstarve/comments/14juer/art_game_needs_actual_scary_enemies/c7e6ijk?context=3

Basically this, " Have things like this creep in from the edges of the darkness when your campfire is getting low. Have them actually show up if you let too much total time of seeing them, cumulatively (Carried over from night to night, the more you see them, the more these insane visions have a chance to become real) "

They'd be real 'Nightmare' creatures, I could see them shimmering and shivering like if you've ever seen Canadian animation, or Dr. Katz, but in an even more 'insane' way. The art is not mine, but I think my suggestion to implement it would do wonders for the addition of an insanity effect, and give more reason to have great big lit fires rather then squeaking by with as little light as you can manage to use to survive a night. Add it in a big content patch, and then don't tell anyone! Watch the lets players jump out of their skin. The most frightening things are the unknown. I'd like to see a LOT more freakish things like this, but with such a rare occurrence of them happening that when they do come it's totally unexpected.

Anyways, as you can see from the reddit post, I was directed to make the comment here on the Forums too. So here I am! It's a marvelous game and I can't wait to see even more great new content be added!

Basically this, " Have things like this creep in from the edges of the darkness when your campfire is getting low. Have them actually show up if you let too much total time of seeing them, cumulatively (Carried over from night to night, the more you see them, the more these insane visions have a chance to become real) "

I believe that is the general intention associated with the (eventual) Sanity meter. Or at least that's what I would like to see.

This reminds me of story I tell from time to time about how one night while playing Wendy I noticed something moving among the tall grass next to my camp. For resource gathering purposes I had planted a huge batch of grass tufts (20+) all together... and now I could see the grass moving. For a split second it freaked me out as it looked like it was moving its way through the grass towards me... then I realized it was only the effect of harvest grass re-growing. But man, before I realized the truth it had me expecting the worst. :)

Physical Nightmares. You are magnificent.

I don't think it's feasible, but for a game like this I think It'd be cool if they put so many different monster elements in like this that only came up once every 1-30 days it'd be good times.

Well I wouldn't call it impossible... after all when the Sanity meter is introduced the Devs suggested that should the player go insane their mental delusions would become a threat. Of course at this stage there's a lot of speculation about the Sanity meter and what form these delusions will take, but it's generally believed that they can prove fatal.