[Custom Character] Trade Character Art for Coding

Mila

Hello! I'm struggling with my custom character, I can draw all right but when it comes to programming I can't get past copying, pasting and cropping stuff until the game stops crashing.

So I wanted to ask someone with some expertise in coding characters here on the forum for a trade, I will draw everything your character needs (provided there is a template for it) and I get a coded character in exchange.

This is the first character I drew, she will probably get new clothes but I wanted to see her in-game and test what codes I could for her before finishing up.

Thank you very much! ♥

post-359092-0-59626600-1396476236.jpg

Thank you! Her name's Wilhelmina though, I'd feel bad putting myself inside a game that I'd probably get myself killed off very easily.

I want to make her a vampire (oh so original, I know...), because after living over 150 days in the game I thought it would be nice to explore during the night to see the differences from trying to survive during the day, and her chances of starving would be bigger too.

These are the traits I thought for her:

• Insomniac (I copied this from wickerbottom so it's done) solved
  • Can only eat meat solved (I managed to do this but I wanted to include monster meat without the sanity loss)
  • Burns (literally) in the sun if not wearing certain headgears (straw hat / top hat / beekeeper hat / bush hat / RoG Rain hat) or an umbrella (she will start off with one) partially solved
    * I thought about making a custom item for her (a manteau) but placing her head in the right place was tiresome enough so I scrapped that for later or never.
  • Loses sanity (medium) during the day (protected from the sun or not), doesn't lose or gain it on dusk or night. (managed to make her stop losing it during the night but not lose it during the day) solved
  • Loses sanity when hunger bar is low solved
  • Recovers health automatically but spends hunger points to do so (just like wearing the life giving amulet) solved
  • Increases attack when sanity is low solved
  • Is neutral (or ally) to Batlisks and gains sanity when near them (which would make it useful for making camp outside a hole and hide during the night), Pigmen and Bunnymen are always aggressive towards her. (I managed to get her neutral towards Batlisks but the game crashes when I attack them / I am attacked near them)
  • Faint Nightvision (I already managed to do this one), thus making her immune to Charlie. solved
  • Flowers and Evil Flowers do nothing to her sanity, neither does digging graves but she will still lose it during a fight.

That's a lot, I know Orz but I wanted to make a character with a different gameplay and what I thought would be easy to code (though it's proving itself to be a ridiculously hard task for me)

And here's my deviantart to get examples of what I can draw: http://mila-valentine.deviantart.com/

That's a few perks :razz:

I've happen to have done some work on a vampire character before. To get her to burn in daylight, you could insert

inst:DoPeriodicTask(0.5, function() DayLightCheck(inst) end)

into the the main function of the character's prefab file. Then above this function, paste

local function DayLightCheck(inst)	local helditem = inst.components.inventory:GetEquippedItem(EQUIPSLOTS.HANDS)	local hatitem = inst.components.inventory:GetEquippedItem(EQUIPSLOTS.HEAD)	if inst.components.health and not inst.components.health:IsDead() 		and not inst.is_teleporting 		and GetClock():IsDay() 		and inst.components.inventory 		and (not helditem or helditem.prefab ~= "umbrella") 		and not hatitem then		inst.components.health:DoFireDamage(5)	endend

If she's carrying an umbrella, or is wearing a hat she won't burn.

The rest will take more coded. It may be an idea to find the three or four which best define the character than start there. Like, she only eats meat, burns in the sunlight and has night vision.

Thank you!

Ok, aparently I managed to make her carnivore, insomniac and having nightvision, these three are ok and working with no problem. Now the "burns in the sunlight" is also working, is there a way to specify which hats I want to use for protection? because the prefab for all the hats is the same, so I can't use the same code as the 'umbrella' one, right?

I also managed to make her "heal" by wearing out her hunger with this code:

local function Heal(inst)    if (inst.components.health and inst.components.health:IsHurt())    and (inst.components.hunger and inst.components.hunger.current > 1 )then        inst.components.health:DoDelta(1)        inst.components.hunger:DoDelta(-1)    endend

and 

inst:DoPeriodicTask(1, function() Heal(inst) end)
The only thing that bothers me is the sound it makes when healing but I found no way of disabling it.

You can specify a hat prefab. Look through the hat.lua prefab file and you'll find entries with 'top', 'straw', 'flower', etc. Just add 'hat' to the end of these keywords to get the prefab name. Eg. 'tophat' is the top hat, 'flowerhat' is the garlad, etc. Also if you use the heath dodelta function there will be a noise. You can use the get and set health percentage functions to get around this though.

I'm not sure how to call it only during the day but I believe

inst.components.sanity.dapperness =  -TUNING.DAPPERNESS_SMALL

(note the negative)

This will result in sanity loss during the day equal to the sanity gain from a garland

You should be able to adjust the numbers by using something like

inst.components.sanity.dapperness = (-TUNING.DAPPERNESS_SMALL * 2)

Or you can just input a static number, However  Dapperness changes with the length of the day,

so if you want more sanity loss per unit of time when the days are longer than you might want to

stick with dapperness.

(NOTE: I'm only just beginning to figure this out myself so I could be totally wrong about this

however a lot of information can be found in the tuning.lua in the game scripts folder for

other levels of dapperness)

Hi Mila, I've had some free time to work on your character based on your list in the OP :-)

Replace the DayLightCheck function I gave you with

local function DayLightCheck(inst)	local helditem = inst.components.inventory:GetEquippedItem(EQUIPSLOTS.HANDS)	local hatitem = inst.components.inventory:GetEquippedItem(EQUIPSLOTS.HEAD)	if inst.components.health and not inst.components.health:IsDead() and not inst.is_teleporting and GetClock():IsDay() and inst.components.inventory then		if helditem and helditem.prefab == "umbrella" then			-- Null		elseif hatitem and (hatitem.prefab == "strawhat" or hatitem.prefab == "tophat" or hatitem.prefab == "beehat" or hatitem.prefab == "bushhat") then			-- Null		else					inst.components.health:DoFireDamage(5)		end	end				if inst.components.sanity and inst.components.sanity:GetPercent() < 0.3 and inst.components.combat then		inst.components.combat.damagemultiplier = 1.5	else		inst.components.combat.damagemultiplier = 1.0	endend

The bottom part of the function causes her, when at less than 30% sanity, to increase her damage by 50%. Feel free to adjust these numbers.

Also, insert these into the body of the main function

TUNING.SANITY_DAY_GAIN = -10/60	TUNING.SANITY_NIGHT_LIGHT = 0TUNING.SANITY_NIGHT_MID = 0TUNING.SANITY_NIGHT_DARK = 0	inst.components.sanity.custom_rate_fn = SanityFn

and this above the main function

local function SanityFn(inst)	local delta = 0		if inst.components.hunger and inst.components.hunger:GetPercent() < 0.3 and inst.components.sanity then		delta = -15/60	end		return deltaend

This will cause her to lose 10 sanity per minute during the day, lose no sanity at dusk or night and lose 15 sanity per minute when her hunger is less than 30%. Again feel free to adjust these values.

MidrealmDM thank you for the imput but chromiunboy's code worked for reducing her sanity during the day.

I'm sorry for taking long to reply here, I went on a trip and returned just today. It seems all the codes are working well so far!

And you can PM or just post here about the character you want me to draw so I can get started with it too!

Archived