Ice Hound Special Ability

Since the elemental hounds are weaker I'm glad fire hounds have an extra effect but have felt ice hounds have always been lacking something.

I suggest Ice hounds attempt to put out fires. Fire hounds bring the threat of destroying everything, and I like the idea that ice hounds threaten freezing or dying to the night.

Another suggestion would be that they leach away your heat if they hit you. I think anything similar to the new deerclops ability would be a bit too OP, since you eventually have to deal with ice hounds in larger numbers.

I finally came up with this after I found fire can destroy houndmounds. It'd be cool if when a mound was taking fire damage ice hounds came out, extinguished the fire, then retreated back into the mound. However, it also feels rather impractical as a player can easily kill the hounds before all the fire is extinguished unless the number of ice hounds is large

Well, ice hounds' "ability" is to deal more damage.

Kinda feels like a sad ability doesn't it? (kinda like Aquaman  :wilson_evil: ).

Either way I'd be happy if both did more damage. Or both did the same as normal hounds, I've never noticed a difference personally.

Since the elemental hounds are weaker I'm glad fire hounds have an extra effect but have felt ice hounds have always been lacking something.

I suggest Ice hounds ... leech away your heat if they hit you. I think anything similar to the new deerclops ability would be a bit too OP, since you eventually have to deal with ice hounds in larger numbers.

Some sort of ice breath or ice aura around the dogs that would take away your body heat would be cool and fitting, yeah.

I swear you two are the DS forum's greatest assets, and not just for this suggestion

How about lets keep it simple: Ice hounds could freeze you with 5 hits (Or bites in this case).

Five hits feels okay, but balancing its effectiveness feels off.

In my mind, if the number of hounds is high enough that they would freeze you should you full tank them ( at least 3 ice hounds attacking in concert) the number of other hounds is already so much that without kiting it's almost guaranteed lethal due to additional stunlock. This differs from the Deerclops because it doesn't stunlock you, and the freezing mechanic balances this. Also, the Deerclops is a boss and you should have to have excess armor + healing if you're going to not kite it. That being said, kiting has it's own potential lethal implications due to the insanity aura.

On the other hand, balancing heat leeching feels off as well, but I feel more balanced than freezing. Cold is more a dps increase if you get hit too often and is lessened by a heat source/insulation. It has higher difficulty potential if you are caught out without the resources to make a fire but also might be completely ineffective if you do have a fire. Essentially, cold leeching has a flat impact and doesn't seem to scale multiplicative with stunlock. It encourages kiting, but doesn't force it. Therefore you can tank, but you need a heat source and you will take more damage.

Extinguishing fires also threatens cold, but less so. It more threatens darkness if attacked at night. Again, more dangerous if you are away from your defenses. It's a bit more random as to if it's lethal. What it does do is force the player to make a harder decision as to if they want to stay more insulated or potentially take more damage. Heat leeching almost does this, but being by a heat source allows you to wear more armor regardless unless the heat leeching is partially mitigated by wearing insulation, which can be both logical and illogical depending on how you think the hounds steal your heat. Either way, heat leeching seems more complex and I'm not sure I like it.

There's a point to be made that it could prep you for the Deerclops, but I just have a higher preference for the other ideas. Also, please point out any flaws you see in any of the ideas. I think I thought of most things, but also knowing how difficult you rank the 3 ideas is helpful.

Archived