Suggestion for mushrooms

Mushrooms always seem bad unless you cook them with other foods. But in reality most mushrooms are actually good for you as far as I know. I want to compare my idea to the meats and you'll see why:

We have 4 different individual types of meat in the game:

Meat

Drum stick

Morsel

Monster meat

This links to my idea because there are three mushrooms which I think should be good for you and the fourth mushroom would be bad for you. My idea of the fourth mushroom I think really fits into the game and also may be give you ability to make new recipes. So may be:

Red mushroom = Red cap - would take away 5 sanity and 5 hunger but would give 5 health, cooked red cap would take away 5 hunger but would give 5 sanity and 10 health

Green mushroom = Green cap - would take away 5 hunger and 5 health but would give 5 sanity, cooked green cap would take away 5 health but would give 5 hunger and 10 sanity

Blue mushroom = Blue cap - would take away 5 health and 5 sanity but would give 5 hunger, cooked blue cap would take away 5 sanity but would give 5 health and 10 sanity

Firstly I think the mushrooms must be changed because you can't really eat them without being mixed with other foods and gives confusion for the beginners, so I thought of a balance like this. Secondly blue cap is basically like green cap of what it gives and if they both are cooked they take -1 health but 5 sanity so it's like there is no point for one of them. The red one just gives you 1 health and -5 sanity: so either way I don't eat that in the gameeven if it's cooked, like it's the opposite of blue and green caps but worse rsther than better! The third reason is for my idea because if those three mushrooms can be good for you then the fourth one, related to monster meat as monster meat is the bad meat then this would be the bad mushroom:

Fly-agaric mushroom

If you take its cap you would get a "death cap" so it would be like monster meat only a mushroom and take away -15 sanity and -30 health, thought would give 5 hunger, if cooked takes (cooked death cap) takes -10 sanity, -20 health, thought would give 10 hunger.

And btw the rumour of eating all 3 mushrooms being good for you would become true and then there would be a reason to eat mushrooms without worrying about your health sanity or hunger (not much that is).

What do you think of this "mushroom balance" and the really bad mushroom?

Mushrooms aren't bad as-is. 

Red Cap - easy to find and will fill you up significantly at the expense of your sanity. There is a pro and con that seem pretty balanced.

Green Cap - THE sanity item. You can eat a raw one for -50 or a cooked one for +15. Nothing else in the game consistently lets you alter your sanity quickly without sacrificing an armor slot.

Blue - Raises hunger AND health at the expense of sanity. They are also significantly rarer than Red mushrooms.

Red caps can also be used to poison gobblers, fwiw.  Or at least they used to able to...

They can't now?  (I usually whack them with a spear anyway, but still... I like poetic justice for gluttony)

I like the mushroom balance as they are, for the reasons Deacon_Blue cites. Also, fly agarics are usually red (and in the natural world, red usually equals "dead").  Having them be task-specific makes them more like herbs/medicinal plants where you need to be careful about how you use them; if you know how to use them, they do great things (including fill out your meatballs and bunwiches).

Don't mess with the cool numerology going on.  I'm sure the three mushrooms correspond to some sort of trinity (the Three Fates, Brahma/Vishnu/Shiva, etc), anyway.  :)

They can't now?  (I usually whack them with a spear anyway, but still... I like poetic justice for gluttony)

I'm just in the habit of couching my statements right now, since until this DLC came out I hadn't played DS since....maybe August?  Lot of water under the bridge since then.

What I would really like to see is a crockpot recipe that involves mushrooms.  Like meat+2 mushrooms (any combo of mushrooms, 1 filler possible) = mushroom stew.  But meat+1 of each type of mushroom = Mushroom Stroganoff, which is better is like meaty stew, but not considered meat, so great for using around bunnymen.

What I would really like to see is a crockpot recipe that involves mushrooms.  Like meat+2 mushrooms (any combo of mushrooms, 1 filler possible) = mushroom stew.  But meat+1 of each type of mushroom = Mushroom Stroganoff, which is better is like meaty stew, but not considered meat, so great for using around bunnymen.

Those would be great (I'm craving some stroganoff now, thanks a lot).  It would be nice to implement mushrooms to offer something unique to them (like how frog legs can become a bunwich or count as small meat).  I suspect it would have to be modded, but that is one mod I'd totally go for.

Archived