Minions! They do all the dirty work so you don't have to

There are many things to love about this game: the freedom of choice, the living world, emergent behaviour, tongue-in-cheek humour ("chest"er - HAHAHAH....), beautiful and highly consistent art style. The list goes on.

As a sandbox environment the game is extremely enjoyable, and the survival-oriented gameplay brings a sense of urgency beyond other crafting games that makes for a more engaging experience.

But...

Wouldn't it be great if, after your 10s of hours of resource harvesting, harvesting resources, getting more resources and finding resources which you need more of, once you've got to that blissful stage of "wow, I can almost relax and enjoy myself!" you no longer had to focus on the resource grind, and could instead focus on crafting, exploring and building?

You see, I'm a big fan of The Settlers. Do you guys remember The Settlers? I do. It was enchanting to issue job titles to your little workers and watch them go about their daily tasks, blissfully devoted to their essential role as <carpenter | miner | logger | crapiforgottheothers> and performing their duties in captivatingly animated fashion.

Now, I'm well aware that collecting resources serves a purpose in Don't Starve. The pressure of time is one of several factors that give this beautiful game a charm of its own; a drive to progress within the sandbox. Collecting resources drains your time to keep up this pressure, I get that. Equally, I understand that the spontaneity of certain game world events means that a quick jaunt off to the beefalo field for a handful of crop could end in either success or death, and the thrill which comes with that is without compare (except for waffles, that goes without saying).

But what if you had a choice? What if, like almost every other aspect of this stupendously butterific and spreadable marvellosity you could choose another way.

Well, gentlemen and ladies... here's an idea for you.

Minions!

Minions to do your dirty work. Minions to chop your wood, gather your crops, pick your berries. Minions that you can issue orders too, who will blindly and unquestioningly follow your every word, fulfilling their duties without question or care for personal safety.

Are minions robots? Are they gnome-like elven dwarves with hairy backs? Are they lobotomized monkeys who like to be called "Susan"? Right now, no-one knows for sure. But we could sure as heckfire find out with a little community support and a nudge and a wink to the wonderful-game-developer-who-I-must-say-is-wearing-a-rather-dashing-tie-today.

Craft a minion home. Build/breed/await the minions. Walk to your point of harvest, point the little blighters in the direction of those berries/crops/rocks you so desperately crave (but not enough to get them yourself, no sirree), then watch them go about their duties with worshipful glee, delighted to obey their wonderful master/mistress. They'll show those silly pigmen with their "oh we can chop trees for 3 seconds without getting distracted"; these guys know what real work is. They're diligent to the point of obsessive, understand how to collect resources beyond the wooden variety, and in return for this slave labour generous assistance all they ask is that you drop a little food off at home for them to enjoy a decent meal after a hard day's toil (one portion per worker of course - they've got a union and are not afraid to strike).

Are they entertaining to watch? Absolutely. Do they sing songs when working in small groups, much like Oompa Loompas? Quite possibly. Will you be glad to have them around when times are tough, the missus is home and you've only got 15 minutes to explore the caves and do some crafting and are, quite frankly, frickin tired of having to repeatedly walk all over the place to pick up shizzle just so you can craft a wall? 100% yes.

So there you have it. Minions. Gather 'em, order 'em, then wait for 'em to bring those delicious resources to their home while you do more interesting things like seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone befor-- I mean craft, fight and interact with creatures.

Thoughts? Prayers? Donations?

p.s. give generously

Too long ; Didnt read

we have pigs

Pigs don't do what I described.

Try learning; deliberate reading.

Instead of making a whole new species, why not just improve pigs improve merms and make them tameable.

Pig augmentation is possible, but personally I like the way they behave currently; they're entertainingly dumb and their short-lived friendship seems appropriate for their fearful nature.

Minions would be oompa-loompa-like workers who appear in e.g. numbers of 10 from each worker "hive" and behave differently from pigs, making them another interesting in-game process you can interact with.

When killed they could drop the resources they were carrying. 

On a related note it was exciting to read what Bryce wrote about the Reign of Giants DLC in the "interesting animals" thread:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/31318-interesting-animals-suggestion/page-3#entry415697

Something we've really focused on is making new creatures interact with the world. The new creatures do stuff like forage for food, seek out and kill prey, or gather materials. We try not to craft behaviours with specific scenarios in mind. Rather, we try to make each creature interact with the environment in it's own way, and the interactions that come from those behaviours make the world feel alive.

Even if minions never happen, the above sounds awesome and similar to what I hoped for  :grin:

Combined with giants, Webber and new biomes this should be a really great DLC :-)

On a ?related? note it was exciting to read what Bryce wrote in the "interesting animals" thread:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/31318-interesting-animals-suggestion/page-3#entry415697

Something we've really focused on is making new creatures interact with the world. The new creatures do stuff like forage for food, seek out and kill prey, or gather materials. We try not to craft behaviours with specific scenarios in mind. Rather, we try to make each creature interact with the environment in it's own way, and the interactions that come from those behaviours make the world feel alive.

Even if minions never happen, the above sounds awesome and similar to what I hoped for  :grin:

Combined with giants, Webber and new biomes this should be a really great DLC :-)

Must have missed that, thanks for pointing it out

Archived