PS4 Dont Starve world options.

When i checked the world options on don't starve on the console version. i couldn't change the options any higher than default such as the amount of carrots and berry bushes spawn. i can adjust to have none spawn but not adjust it to make lots spawn. Any leads to maybe an update to have these included to match the PC version?

When i checked the world options on don't starve on the console version. i couldn't change the options any higher than default such as the amount of carrots and berry bushes spawn. i can adjust to have none spawn but not adjust it to make lots spawn. Any leads to maybe an update to have these included to match the PC version?

I created an account here just to post this.

Why on earth are these options not available?  I like the survival mode, but I would also like to play arroud with some of the options to make things a bit easier, but all I can do is make them harder.

That's not really fun for me.

I created an account just to post here haha its getting quite boring to play dont starve on the ps4... I mean, its nice to be able to make the game harder when customizing your world, but I'd like to play on "easy mode" too, so that I can explore and learn about the game relaxed. Its fun to learn with your mistakes, but that usually means dying, wich can be a little  cansative after sometime. But maybe its sonys fault, if they really made klei add trophies against their will, it makes sense dont let players be able to make the game easier, as it would make getting trophies easier too (well, I actually dont think it can get even easier that it is now but anyway). I guess what I really want is an answer from the devs. Getting a no is better than getting nothing haha

I agree, these options should be present; in fact, aside from in-game controls and interface optimisations for PS4, the level of control and customisation offered should match the PC version.

I read a dev's comment elsewhere relating to the need for better engine optimisation on PS4; I suspect the reason these options aren't yet available is because of this, and that once the engine is better optimised the options will be made available.

Hopefully since Reign of Giants introduces further complexity to the game in terms of world processes, number of NPCs etc. this engine optimisation is currently ongoing or soon will be, and perhaps these "higher" options currently available on PC will then become available on PS4 too.

P.S. Please note "optimisations" above is meant to imply "adaptation to the platform whilst retaining the same functionality", i.e. not dumbing down any feature! :)

@Bryce @Kevin Any chance you could comment on this? It's the most notable difference between the PC and console versions. Would be great to hear that it's on your roadmap to give us this feature in a patch.

We didn't include the ability to add mobs and resources in the World Editor for certification, quality, and performance reasons.

We didn't include the ability to add mobs and resources in the World Editor for certification, quality, and performance reasons.

I'm sure that's true, but you've chosen to carefully explain why the feature was omitted, rather than answering my question of whether you intend to give PS4 the same 'more' world options as exist in the PC version.

The PS4 is a graphically and computationally powerful console as you're aware. If you don't intend to add this feature then I presume further optimisation of the PS4 engine is not on the roadmap?

I'm sure that's true, but you've chosen to carefully explain why the feature was omitted, rather than answering my question of whether you intend to give PS4 the same 'more' world options as exist in the PC version.

The PS4 is a graphically and computationally powerful console as you're aware. If you don't intend to add this feature then I presume further optimisation of the PS4 engine is not on the roadmap?

To put it another way, the ability to turn all those dials up to maximum means that you have the potential to cause performance issues with the game. The game has to pass certification requirements to be released on the console, and this would cause huge problems with passing those requirements. So, there is no plan on putting those in the future.

There are a few ways to make the game easier in the Options.  

You can turn off Winter, Night and the Hounds.  

The game is still hard.  

Doing this will make a few things a bit harder.  

No dusk means no fireflies and therefore no mining hats.  

No hounds means no hounds teeth for walking sticks.  

I keep Winter turned on, but turn off Night and the Hounds.  

To put it another way, the ability to turn all those dials up to maximum means that you have the potential to cause performance issues with the game. The game has to pass certification requirements to be released on the console, and this would cause huge problems with passing those requirements. So, there is no plan on putting those in the future.

I remember one of the devs saying in another thread that someone was currently working on optimizations for the Ps4 build.  Maybe I'm remembering wrong, or maybe it was a really old comment, but if the build gets better optimization could we see at least some of these options added in the future?

I dont understand your explanation. PS4 engine is playing games with much more requirements.... Anyway. Can you at least add an option to REMOVE or have less Deptworms?? I guess this doesnt cause problems with the requirements...

I just want to add the two cents of myself and all of my friends who also own PS4 consoles.

Not being able to add the "more" option, especially for food resources, makes the game VERY unfriendly to beginners. I thoroughly enjoy this game on the PC, but despite having played it since its pre-seasons beginnings on Steam, I do not really have fun unless I can, for example, mod an increase in berry bushes.  I'm not saying everyone wants to play the game this way, but among my friends, this feeling is the majority sentiment. Call us lazy, but the relaxed atmosphere is more fun for us.

I have not been able to covince a single of my friends who did not play this game on PC but who have tried it on PS4 to stick with it. I told them to hold out, that an update had to be in the works. My bad. Now that this topic confirms there is no intention of making the PS4 version comparable to the PC version, I will be deleting my download and encouraging my frustrated friends to do the same.

I greatly enjoyed Don't Starve, but given the vastly complex games that are going to be available for the PS4, having no plans to make the PC and PS4 versions comparable seems, well, lazy. I guess those of us who fell in love with the game on PC but prefer the "more" mods just aren't worth the time and effort. Ouch.

Very disappointed.

I just want to add the two cents of myself and all of my friends who also own PS4 consoles.

Not being able to add the "more" option, especially for food resources, makes the game VERY unfriendly to beginners. I thoroughly enjoy this game on the PC, but despite having played it since its pre-seasons beginnings on Steam, I do not really have fun unless I can, for example, mod an increase in berry bushes.  I'm not saying everyone wants to play the game this way, but among my friends, this feeling is the majority sentiment. Call us lazy, but the relaxed atmosphere is more fun for us.

I have not been able to covince a single of my friends who did not play this game on PC but who have tried it on PS4 to stick with it. I told them to hold out, that an update had to be in the works. My bad. Now that this topic confirms there is no intention of making the PS4 version comparable to the PC version, I will be deleting my download and encouraging my frustrated friends to do the same.

I greatly enjoyed Don't Starve, but given the vastly complex games that are going to be available for the PS4, having no plans to make the PC and PS4 versions comparable seems, well, lazy. I guess those of us who fell in love with the game on PC but prefer the "more" mods just aren't worth the time and effort. Ouch.

Very disappointed.

i

This is exactly what i was thinking.... i was waiting for an update to add those options. Very dissapointed now. And with the new DLC which is adding IMO too much new content at once changing the game very much (more stuff is not allways better...) i am not sure if i will continue with the game which i rly liked. Actually i and my gf liked it so much that after watching me play on the PS4 she bought the PC Version to play too. Thats when i realized how "cut down" our PS4 version is....

Like you said... very disappointed... and the explanation from Klei makes no sense to me.

Hey folks, thanks for discussing here; we really appreciate all of your feedback! 

In order  for us to be able to publish the game on the PlayStation 4, there are certain certification standards that we have to follow. Just as one example, if we allow the players to put in "more" berry bushes - which they could plant too many in an area, can cause the game to stutter and perform poorly. This type of thing unfortunately doesn't follow certification standards and would have not allowed us to bring the game to the platform.

Obviously, that's just one of many variables which could cause that too happen. What if players added more berry bushes, then more trees, or even rabbits in their game world? 

That being said, we'll review the concerns you guys have brought up in this discussion thread and we'll see if there's anything we can do to address those concerns in a meaningful way.

In the meantime, I'm not sure if this will address all of your concerns but there is a world preset called "Default Plus" where you'll spawn with a couple of chests surrounding you. These chests will have most of the items you need to get a quicker start in your game including food and survival tools.

Archived