Yoshimitsu mod

Fidooop

Hello everyone! I am making a Yoshimitsu (The ninja from the Tekken series) mod!

Still don't know what I will do for his personal stats but he will spawn with his demon sword which will do 3/4 the damage that night sword does and provide a very small light at night since it glows!

I currently have someone drawing the template for the yoshimitsu because I am not a very good artist

If you guys have any suggestions please let me know!

To Do List:

1 Get the template from the friend

2 figure out his stats and program them into him

3 create the demon sword (asked a friend to help and he just gave me a bunch of text in an email)

[spoiler]local assets={Asset("ANIM", "anim/demonsword.zip"),Asset("ANIM", "anim/swap_demonsword.zip"),Asset("IMAGE", "images/inventoryimages/demonsword.tex"),Asset("ATLAS", "images/inventoryimages/demonsword.xml")}local function onfinished(inst)inst:Remove()endlocal function onequip(inst, owner)owner.AnimState:OverrideSymbol("swap_object", "swap_demonsword", "swap_nightmaresword")owner.AnimState:Show("ARM_carry")owner.AnimState:Hide("ARM_normal")inst.SoundEmitter:SetParameter( "torch", "intensity", 1 )inst.fire = SpawnPrefab( "lighterfire" )--inst.fire.Transform:SetScale(.125,.125,.125)local follower = inst.fire.entity:AddFollower()follower:FollowSymbol( owner.GUID, "swap_object", 35, -35, 1 )endlocal function onunequip(inst, owner)inst.fire:Remove()inst.fire = nilinst.components.burnable:Extinguish()owner.AnimState:Hide("ARM_carry")owner.AnimState:Show("ARM_normal")endlocal function fn(Sim)local inst = CreateEntity()local trans = inst.entity:AddTransform()local anim = inst.entity:AddAnimState()MakeInventoryPhysics(inst)inst:AddTag("irreplaceable")inst.AnimState:SetBank("nightmaresword")inst.AnimState:SetBuild("nightmaresword")inst.AnimState:PlayAnimation("idle")inst:AddTag("shadow")inst:AddTag("sharp")inst:AddComponent("weapon")inst.components.weapon:SetDamage(TUNING.NIGHTSWORD_DAMAGE*0.25)-------inst:AddComponent("inspectable")inst:AddComponent("inventoryitem")inst.components.inventoryitem.atlasname = "images/inventoryimages/demonsword.xml"inst:AddComponent("dapperness")inst.components.dapperness.dapperness = TUNING.CRAZINESS_MED,inst:AddComponent("equippable")inst.components.equippable:SetOnEquip( onequip )inst.components.equippable:SetOnUnequip( onunequip )return instendreturn Prefab( "common/inventory/demonsword", fn, assets)[/spoiler]

My current problem is that I don't know how to program him! if anyone has a good suggestion or could help me find a good tutorial let me know ;)

If I were you, I'd start by learning a little bit of basic programming stuff. There's a great free online resource called Khan Academy for learning how to code (and learning all sorts of other stuff). https://www.khanacademy.org/cs just click the "Learn Programming" button on the left and start watching the videos and doing the exercises. 

After you've made it through some of that, you'll probably want to go through some Don't Starve modding tutorials. There are a bunch of those listed in this thread: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/28021-getting-started-guides-tutorials-and-examples/

Then, if I were you, I'd start by just trying to create the sword. After you get a working sword in game, move on to the character. Both of these types of mods have very good tutorials that you can do to learn how to make them (links are in the thread above).

While doing the tutorials, or if you have any specific questions along the way, you should ask them in the forum (probably should keep them in this thread) The forum is super friendly and very helpful, but sometimes it takes folks a while to respond, so give it a while before bumping or asking again.

Specific questions or problems are the key though. People are much better at answering something with a narrow scope rather than super open "how do I do this" type questions.

If I were you, I'd start by learning a little bit of basic programming stuff. There's a great free online resource called Khan Academy for learning how to code (and learning all sorts of other stuff). https://www.khanacademy.org/cs just click the "Learn Programming" button on the left and start watching the videos and doing the exercises. 

After you've made it through some of that, you'll probably want to go through some Don't Starve modding tutorials. There are a bunch of those listed in this thread: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/28021-getting-started-guides-tutorials-and-examples/

Then, if I were you, I'd start by just trying to create the sword. After you get a working sword in game, move on to the character. Both of these types of mods have very good tutorials that you can do to learn how to make them (links are in the thread above).

While doing the tutorials, or if you have any specific questions along the way, you should ask them in the forum (probably should keep them in this thread) The forum is super friendly and very helpful, but sometimes it takes folks a while to respond, so give it a while before bumping or asking again.

Specific questions or problems are the key though. People are much better at answering something with a narrow scope rather than super open "how do I do this" type questions.

thanks for the help I wll deffinatly check all of that out :D

I just read this http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/26966-modding-etiquette-general-guidelines/ and it said "Mods containing assets from other games or media are not allowed." so does that mean that I can't make yoshimitsu? and what about the other people who have created soldier, heavy (there are 2 of them), and sniper from tf2? there's also tiny tina from BL2 and peacock from skullgirls...

I just read this http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/26966-modding-etiquette-general-guidelines/ and it said "Mods containing assets from other games or media are not allowed." so does that mean that I can't make yoshimitsu? and what about the other people who have created soldier, heavy (there are 2 of them), and sniper from tf2?

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_asset#Art_assets

oh so that means I just can't take anything from the game like a picture or the audio? but I can make a character from an other game?

It's kind of a fuzzy area, but I think when it comes down to the letter of the law, the makers of Tekken own the copyright to their characters so even if you draw them yourself, just by having the same name with the general look is probably a violation of copyright. There are fair use rules that might cover fan art, but when you stick it in a mod for a different game, I'm not sure if fair use would apply (but maybe it does?).

Being that you're just a fan making a mod with your own fan made art though, it might be ok? I'm not a lawyer though, and this is a question for someone who knows more about copyright law than I do. If you want to be on the up and up, you could write to the makers of Tekken and ask permission (This might get you a solid answer, but odds are it won't be the one you want).

Worst case scenario, you get told to take it down, or potentially warned/banned from the steam workshop if you publish it there? It really is a fuzzy area.

It's kind of a fuzzy area, but I think when it comes down to the letter of the law, the makers of Tekken own the copyright to their characters so even if you draw them yourself, just by having the same name with the general look is probably a violation of copyright. There are fair use rules that might cover fan art, but when you stick it in a mod for a different game, I'm not sure if fair use would apply (but maybe it does?).

Being that you're just a fan making a mod with your own fan made art though, it might be ok? I'm not a lawyer though, and this is a question for someone who knows more about copyright law than I do. If you want to be on the up and up, you could write to the makers of Tekken and ask permission (This might get you a solid answer, but odds are it won't be the one you want).

Worst case scenario, you get told to take it down, or potentially warned/banned from the steam workshop if you publish it there? It really is a fuzzy area.

well then I guess I will just start working on santa instead... and he is going to require ALOT of programming... wish I had an other modder or 2 to help me out so I could atleast get it done before christmas...

well then I guess I will just start working on santa instead... and he is going to require ALOT of programming... wish I had an other modder or 2 to help me out so I could atleast get it done before christmas...

Really, I think there's no danger in creating fanart of anything and porting it into another game. All developers who care about their game should be proud that people go so far to show their love for their game. Even publishers should share this sentiment. Of course, if you're not feeling well with it then don't do it.

Oh, and also: Santa Claus, trademark of Coca-Cola  : P

Just kidding, he's not

Really, I think there's no danger in creating fanart of anything and porting it into another game. All developers who care about their game should be proud that people go so far to show their love for their game. Even publishers should share this sentiment. Of course, if you're not feeling well with it then don't do it.

Oh, and also: Santa Claus, trademark of Coca-Cola  : P

Just kidding, he's not

I decided to revisit yoshimitsu since my friend had already made half of him and I already have the coding for the demon sword... I just gotta look at a bunch of tutorials and such... I will just say in the description "I do NOT own any writes for Yoshimitsu, all his writes belong to Tekken which belongs to namco! This is just purely fan-art to show how much I love the game Tekken!"

also real funny with that tiny text....

Archived