Extending And modifying Brain

XainFaith

So as the title states i am extending and modifing a brain, this is specific to the rabbit brain.

Now here is my issue i have extneded and modifyed the Behvioural tree of the Rabbit Brain and i know the parts of the BT i added work. I have it so that the rabbit can become a follow when feed a carrot from a safe distance and it even follows you. The problem is it persistantly runs away from you as in " fleeing " even when i had a IfNode to prevent default behaviour from occuring when it was following the player.

So my question is is there a component or something that is attached to the rabbit prefab itself ( iv looked nothing obveious pops out ) that cuases this behaviour.

Post Brain Processing code below:

---- Created by IntelliJ IDEA.-- User: XainFaith-- Date: 20/10/13-- Time: 11:39 PM-- To change this template use File | Settings | File Templates.--require "behaviours/wander"require "behaviours/runaway"require "behaviours/doaction"require "behaviours/panic"require "behaviours/follow"local STOP_RUN_DIST = 10local SEE_PLAYER_DIST = 5local AVOID_PLAYER_DIST = 3local AVOID_PLAYER_STOP = 6local SEE_BAIT_DIST = 20local MAX_WANDER_DIST = 20local MIN_FOLLOW_DIST = 2local MAX_FOLLOW_DIST = 9local TARGET_FOLLOW_DIST = 5Saved_OnStartBase = nilSaved_EatFoodAction = nilprint("Post Processing Rabbit")---Get the rabbits brain ---local RabbitBrain = require "brains.rabbitbrain"---Save off the old on start function so we can call it in case we do not need the custom functionalitySaved_OnStartBase = RabbitBrain.OnStart---Save off the old EatFoodActionSaved_EatFoodAction = RabbitBrain.EatFoodActionlocal function GetLeader(inst)    return inst.components.follower.leaderendlocal function DebugGetLeader(inst)    if inst.components.follower.leader then        print("Has Leader")    else        print("Has no Leader")    end    return inst.components.follower.leaderendlocal function IsChalieAndLeader(inst)    if GetPlayer().prefab == "charlie" then        if GetLeader(inst) then            --print("Is Chalie and has leader")            return true        else            return false        end    else       return false    endendlocal function GoHomeAction(inst)    if inst.components.homeseeker and            inst.components.homeseeker.home and            inst.components.homeseeker.home:IsValid() and            inst.sg:HasStateTag("trapped") == false then        return BufferedAction(inst, inst.components.homeseeker.home, ACTIONS.GOHOME)    endendlocal function EatFoodAction(inst)    ---print("Custom Rabbit Food Action")    --- Check to see if custom logic applys if this is charlie    if GetPlayer().prefab == "charlie" then        --Check for carrot first then proceed with normal behaviour such as baited traps etc        local target = FindEntity(inst, SEE_BAIT_DIST,            function(item)                if inst.components.eater:CanEat(item) and item.components.bait and not item:HasTag("planted") and not (item.components.inventoryitem and item.components.inventoryitem:IsHeld()) then                    return true;                end                return false;            end        )        if target then            local act = BufferedAction(inst, target, ACTIONS.EAT)            act.validfn = function() return not (target.components.inventoryitem and target.components.inventoryitem:IsHeld()) end            act:AddSuccessAction(function()                local player = GetClosestInstWithTag("player", inst,SEE_BAIT_DIST)                if player then                    player.components.leader:AddFollower(inst)                    --TODO Add something better for time of loyalty                    if inst.components.follower then                        print("Added rabbit as follower")                        inst.components.follower:AddLoyaltyTime(target.components.edible:GetHunger() * TUNING.PIG_LOYALTY_PER_HUNGER)                    end                end            end)            return act        end    else        --- Call saved version of function as it does not apply to any other characters        Saved_EatFoodAction(self)    endendlocal function DumpBT(bnode, indent)    local s = ""    for i=1,indent do        s = s.."|   "    end    s = s..bnode.name    print(s)    if bnode.children then        for i,childnode in ipairs(bnode.children) do            DumpBT(childnode, indent+1)        end    endendfunction RabbitBrain:OnStart()    ---print("Custom Brain Start")    ---Call original on start code    --Saved_OnStartBase(self)    --- Check to see if custom logic applys if this is charlie    if GetPlayer().prefab == "charlie" then        local clock = GetClock()        --local OldRoot = self.bt.root        --self.bt = nil        local NewRoot = PriorityNode(            {                IfNode(function() return IsChalieAndLeader(self.inst) end,"ChaliesTheLeader",                    Follow(self.inst,GetLeader,MIN_FOLLOW_DIST, TARGET_FOLLOW_DIST, MAX_FOLLOW_DIST)),                IfNode(function() if GetPlayer().prefab == "charlie" then return true else return false end end,"IsChalie",                    DoAction(self.inst, EatFoodAction))           }            ,.5)        self.bt = BT(self.inst,NewRoot)        print("BT Dump Start")        DumpBT(self.bt.root,1)        print("BT Dump End")    endendreturn RabbitBrain

If anyone knows i would greatly appracete it.

Regards XainFaith

• Developer

So as the title states i am extending and modifing a brain, this is specific to the rabbit brain.

Now here is my issue i have extneded and modifyed the Behvioural tree of the Rabbit Brain and i know the parts of the BT i added work. I have it so that the rabbit can become a follow when feed a carrot from a safe distance and it even follows you. The problem is it persistantly runs away from you as in " fleeing " even when i had a IfNode to prevent default behaviour from occuring when it was following the player.

So my question is is there a component or something that is attached to the rabbit prefab itself ( iv looked nothing obveious pops out ) that cuases this behaviour.

Post Brain Processing code below:

---- Created by IntelliJ IDEA.-- User: XainFaith-- Date: 20/10/13-- Time: 11:39 PM-- To change this template use File | Settings | File Templates.--require "behaviours/wander"require "behaviours/runaway"require "behaviours/doaction"require "behaviours/panic"require "behaviours/follow"local STOP_RUN_DIST = 10local SEE_PLAYER_DIST = 5local AVOID_PLAYER_DIST = 3local AVOID_PLAYER_STOP = 6local SEE_BAIT_DIST = 20local MAX_WANDER_DIST = 20local MIN_FOLLOW_DIST = 2local MAX_FOLLOW_DIST = 9local TARGET_FOLLOW_DIST = 5Saved_OnStartBase = nilSaved_EatFoodAction = nilprint("Post Processing Rabbit")---Get the rabbits brain ---local RabbitBrain = require "brains.rabbitbrain"---Save off the old on start function so we can call it in case we do not need the custom functionalitySaved_OnStartBase = RabbitBrain.OnStart---Save off the old EatFoodActionSaved_EatFoodAction = RabbitBrain.EatFoodActionlocal function GetLeader(inst)    return inst.components.follower.leaderendlocal function DebugGetLeader(inst)    if inst.components.follower.leader then        print("Has Leader")    else        print("Has no Leader")    end    return inst.components.follower.leaderendlocal function IsChalieAndLeader(inst)    if GetPlayer().prefab == "charlie" then        if GetLeader(inst) then            --print("Is Chalie and has leader")            return true        else            return false        end    else       return false    endendlocal function GoHomeAction(inst)    if inst.components.homeseeker and            inst.components.homeseeker.home and            inst.components.homeseeker.home:IsValid() and            inst.sg:HasStateTag("trapped") == false then        return BufferedAction(inst, inst.components.homeseeker.home, ACTIONS.GOHOME)    endendlocal function EatFoodAction(inst)    ---print("Custom Rabbit Food Action")    --- Check to see if custom logic applys if this is charlie    if GetPlayer().prefab == "charlie" then        --Check for carrot first then proceed with normal behaviour such as baited traps etc        local target = FindEntity(inst, SEE_BAIT_DIST,            function(item)                if inst.components.eater:CanEat(item) and item.components.bait and not item:HasTag("planted") and not (item.components.inventoryitem and item.components.inventoryitem:IsHeld()) then                    return true;                end                return false;            end        )        if target then            local act = BufferedAction(inst, target, ACTIONS.EAT)            act.validfn = function() return not (target.components.inventoryitem and target.components.inventoryitem:IsHeld()) end            act:AddSuccessAction(function()                local player = GetClosestInstWithTag("player", inst,SEE_BAIT_DIST)                if player then                    player.components.leader:AddFollower(inst)                    --TODO Add something better for time of loyalty                    if inst.components.follower then                        print("Added rabbit as follower")                        inst.components.follower:AddLoyaltyTime(target.components.edible:GetHunger() * TUNING.PIG_LOYALTY_PER_HUNGER)                    end                end            end)            return act        end    else        --- Call saved version of function as it does not apply to any other characters        Saved_EatFoodAction(self)    endendlocal function DumpBT(bnode, indent)    local s = ""    for i=1,indent do        s = s.."|   "    end    s = s..bnode.name    print(s)    if bnode.children then        for i,childnode in ipairs(bnode.children) do            DumpBT(childnode, indent+1)        end    endendfunction RabbitBrain:OnStart()    ---print("Custom Brain Start")    ---Call original on start code    --Saved_OnStartBase(self)    --- Check to see if custom logic applys if this is charlie    if GetPlayer().prefab == "charlie" then        local clock = GetClock()        --local OldRoot = self.bt.root        --self.bt = nil        local NewRoot = PriorityNode(            {                IfNode(function() return IsChalieAndLeader(self.inst) end,"ChaliesTheLeader",                    Follow(self.inst,GetLeader,MIN_FOLLOW_DIST, TARGET_FOLLOW_DIST, MAX_FOLLOW_DIST)),                IfNode(function() if GetPlayer().prefab == "charlie" then return true else return false end end,"IsChalie",                    DoAction(self.inst, EatFoodAction))           }            ,.5)        self.bt = BT(self.inst,NewRoot)        print("BT Dump Start")        DumpBT(self.bt.root,1)        print("BT Dump End")    endendreturn RabbitBrain

If anyone knows i would greatly appracete it.

Regards XainFaith

Running away happens in the stategraph 'run' state so what I would typically do is add a 'print(debug.traceback())' call to the 'onenter' function in the 'run' state which should tell you what triggered the rabbit to start running.

Running away happens in the stategraph 'run' state so what I would typically do is add a 'print(debug.traceback)' call to the 'onenter' function in the 'run' state which should tell you what triggered the rabbit to start running.

print(debug.traceback())
:razz:

Thanks for that information turns out the trace back was not as usfull as i would of hoped.. just noted that it was being called from the beahviour trees update etc.  But i determined in the long run that its acctually the rabbits running that causes the behaviour if i set the last param node for the follow node to be false eg( can run ) it very slowly does follow you without running away. A bit stumped as to how to fix this while still maintaing compatability at this moment. But at the very least i know roughly what is causing the behaviour.

Regards XainFaith

Archived