The life of Mismatched Buttons

Prologue

It all starts with one forgotten button. Most sewing practices of sorts use buttons to keep the cloth on attire from slipping away from the human analogue. Buttons keep the inside of pockets on a coat from getting wet in the rain. Most of the time, these buttons are grouped with zippers, or buttons of the same type. In very rare cases, a stray button ends up mixed with the perfect aristocratic buttons, and the button, once pointed out, is shunned and sometimes thrown away from the original cloth, into rubbish cans or dumpsters. Very few mixed buttons survive the incinerating fate to come, but, every once in a while, a button manages to make it's escape before being destroyed. This is my story.

Edited by Pecival
  • Like 1

Chapter I; Clothing Inc.

I was manufactured in a factory that, in the past, had reputations for the most durable and sleek buttons. We came in a variety of singular and mixed colors, but people were attracted to the shiny, mahogany wood button within us. I was simply a plastic purple button. I bended slightly under pressure, and I was easily corroded by constant rain and hail. All in all, I was your average button in a button factory. My type were used in cheap clothing, while our greater siblings went on in suits, tuxedos, and sometimes purses. We were kept all in the back after the workers went home. Of course, they didn't know that buttons are living objects, they simply thought we were inanimate objects they made for a profit.  Anyway, all of the buttons were free to roll around in the factory with no one to see them. The usual thing you would see are buttons rolling around in the machinery, daring others to go into deeper parts of the building. To me, these acts of foolishness seemed highly dangerous, but who was I to judge? I simply stayed near my packaged box, and once or twice followed my friend (a sleek, patterned button) onto the ceiling beams to see everyone scattered. Of course, I think going up there was a mistake.....

Edited by Pecival
  • Like 1

Chapter II; Wandering

The top of the factory may seem desolate and quiet at first, but, with a little bit of observation, you'll see a bunch of leftover treasures from the building itself. How it ended up on the ceiling, I didn't know, nor did I want to know the creatures that brought them. Our last few observation were disappointing, yielding only splintered wood and dust mites, but this recent travel proved substantial. We found yarn of every color, albeit faded, a metal spoon that was bended and dented, and a strange wooden contraption, which turned out to be a mousetrap (although we didn't know about this at the time). This contraption captured my friend's imagination, and he began prodding what appeared to be a trigger in the center with the spoon. I rather think he was glad he used the spoon first, for what followed next was a calamity. A loud snap, a flash of silver, and the spoon was trapped in the machine. While I was terrified, my friend saw it as an opportunity for some fun........