A Few Issues

Perseid

Fun game, thanks for making it part of the Humble Bundle.

First, how do I quit? I don't see a quit button on the main menu screen. I had to force quit the game. Maybe it's obvious and I was just being silly.

Second, I'd like to be able to run the simulation without laying all the pieces down, especially since I'm early in the game and don't know what the new objects do. I just want to click Go and see what happens.

• Developer

Currently, you will indeed need to just shut down the game window in order to exit the game. 

With the game still in Beta, we are still deciding on the best and most intuitive UI layout. We want to make sure that the interface is not too cluttered to avoid confusion.  :)

As for placing items, as mentioned, you are able to just select "Go" and see what happens in later levels, but for some of the initial levels in the first world, they act as more of a tutorial to help the player understand how the game works. Generally, if the level has a dotted outline telling you specifically where to place the item, you will need to place it before you can select "Go". 

Currently, you will indeed need to just shut down the game window in order to exit the game. 

With the game still in Beta, we are still deciding on the best and most intuitive UI layout. We want to make sure that the interface is not too cluttered to avoid confusion.   :-)

As for placing items, as mentioned, you are able to just select "Go" and see what happens in later levels, but for some of the initial levels in the first world, they act as more of a tutorial to help the player understand how the game works. Generally, if the level has a dotted outline telling you specifically where to place the item, you will need to place it before you can select "Go". 

Probably a good idea to make that more clear. By the time I got to levels without a dotted outline, I'd built up the assumption that said potentially patronizing message would always be there and, to test the level, I'd always have to drag all the stuff to random locations on screen (but out of the main flow of the puzzle) before I started.

Also, perhaps make the "you forgot to place your items" box a Cancel/OK box instead? (I say Cancel/OK rather than OK/Cancel because there are objective reasons to use the MacOS button order.)

While the game's growing on me, my first reaction to that dialog was "Really? Maybe I should just dig up my old copies of Lemmings and install them in DOSBox instead."

Archived