Not always farming would be fun

Hi everyone,

i´m not a native speaker, so please excuse me if i make mistakes.

I have played the game about 12 hours so far and think it has a huge potential.

I like the Graphics and the Idea in general a lot.

But the game is boring most of the time in my Opinion because you are forced to Farm items most of the time.

Or at least, thats the best thing you can do.

Not starving in general is pretty easy.

Step 1:

Make a Shovel.

Step 2:

Dig all the Berry Bushes you find

Step 3:

Place them in a ball of at least 20

Step 4:

Don´t Starve

There are in my Opinion 2 Ways that would make the game a lot better.

Improve the Base building Options, increase the inventory space and make special things to craft or find.

So you have to build a base and make expeditions to find special items to improve your base further.

Increase the amount you can loot from almost everything but decrease the amount of everything in generell and make more attacking plants like the trees and make them much more common.

Make almost everything die after a few days and grow again at another Position, so you can´t get a huge supply of stuff that easy.

Make a "portable" Base like a Backpack for more stuff, a permanent sleeping bag and something like a pot for cooking.

This is the Option i like most. It would make the World way more dangerous and more fun because you would´t have to farm that much and it wouldn´t be normal farming because its more difficult to get items in generell because they fight back.

Bugs/Things that annoy me:

- It annoys me a lot runnning a whole night around my fire chased by some stupid spiders or buffalos because they don´t let you go and you can´t outrun them. Please either make them faster or don´t let them chase you that long at night.

- if a rabbit eats the bait of a bird trap you have to pick it up and replace it

- you can catch an endless amount of rabbits by placing traps around a trap with a bait.

- if an item is moved and you open your map at the same time, you can see it on the map

Well today berry farming is getting nerfed/changes, so it will become more difficult to rely on berries. But honestly, you can rely on most things in the game, you can make a camp near a pig village and just keep killing pigs every day to farm meat or kill dozens of bunnies for morsels (not that I am saying that is bad, you do need something to survive with).

About your comment:

1: The devs have said that a way to store more items is coming, what that is however remains uncertain for now. On the bigger camp/new structures, agreed, but I hope those will be added in the future.

2: Some fine suggestions, though it will be tricky to have almost everything grow in another location once used. Also it is very possible to make several bases in the game, I usually make 10 firepits in the world and keep traveling between pits to stay on the move.

On the bugs:

Agreed with all except the running away, it is exciting to have to run for spiders and such at night in my opinion.

well one thing that has been already suggested would be to make storms that **** everything up, replacing stuff, setting some stuff on fire and so on.

To the rabbit part:

sure its always clever to exploit a bug and it makes the game much easier. but you couldn´t catch bunnies in the real world like this.

To the running away part:

I think it would be better if the spiders would be harder to fight against.

So if you want to kill them you have to use traps to reduce the amount of them etc.

It would make the game more strategic/exciting. Well and for the running in circles part,

that may be personal preference but i don´t like running in circles for 5 minutes because i don´t have another choice(besides dying of course).

well one thing that has been already suggested would be to make storms that **** everything up, replacing stuff, setting some stuff on fire and so on.

I've heard those tales, and even considered that one type of weather, the thunderstorm, could have lightning strikes that cause a small fire to whatever it hits. While this would be a good way to mess with a player who hordes "flammable" resources all in one location (i.e. base camp) it would just as likely lead to massive forest fires. All in all, random fires would probably be a bad idea.

To the rabbit part:

sure its always clever to exploit a bug and it makes the game much easier. but you couldn´t catch bunnies in the real world like this.

I agree, bunnies are too easy to catch. that's why I think they need to react smarter (i.e. have two rabbit holes and/or spook even when eating) when you try hunting them by hand. Better to restore the effectiveness of rabbit traps. Of course I've been told that even now rabbit traps are used most effectively as a means of trapping rabbits during the night (as apparently they stick the heads out of their holes and if a trap is on the rabbit hole it captures them), thus freeing up your time during the day for non-hunting activities. You only need enough traps.

However I should mention, I never use traps and just run around hunting rabbits with whatever tool I have in my hand at the time. That may or may not be a product of the fact I already have a huge supply of food on-hand, but I don't think so.

I think it would be better if the spiders would be harder to fight against.

So if you want to kill them you have to use traps to reduce the amount of them etc.

It would make the game more strategic/exciting. Well and for the running in circles part,

that may be personal preference but i don´t like running in circles for 5 minutes because i don´t have another choice(besides dying of course).

I agree the spiders are too easy, I mean, so long as you apply simple tactics against them. In another thread I suggested that, like the cave spider in Minecraft, the Don't Starve spiders should be poisonous. And that poison should either whittle away health and/or make you sick (i.e. puke, losing food in stomach) before fading over time.

Also does anyone have an issue with the fact that spiders can be caught in rabbit traps? I've never done it, as I stopped trapping for rabbits ages ago, but if that's the case then it makes hunting them that much easier. I would think a rabbit trap either shouldn't catch spiders, or maybe only trap them for a few seconds before they burst free, destroying the trap.]

Also, how about a giant "mother" spider? I know it sounds like a boss monster... but the possibility a more dangerous and powerful spider appearing from a 3rd-tier spider nest might further dissuade constant attacks on spider nests. Just a thought.

I've heard those tales, and even considered that one type of weather, the thunderstorm, could have lightning strikes that cause a small fire to whatever it hits. While this would be a good way to mess with a player who hordes "flammable" resources all in one location (i.e. base camp) it would just as likely lead to massive forest fires. All in all, random fires would probably be a bad idea.

I think its a good idea to punish hoarding. And random massive forest fires would actually be a good thing too because,

its an event that may force you to change your base and dangerous events in generell are fun.

You learn to appreciate stuff way more if there is a chance of loosing it.

I don´t say there should be a Thunderstorm all the time, maybe 3% chance per day or so.

I agree the spiders are too easy, I mean, so long as you apply simple tactics against them. In another thread I suggested that, like the cave spider in Minecraft, the Don't Starve spiders should be poisonous. And that poison should either whittle away health and/or make you sick (i.e. puke, losing food in stomach) before fading over time.

Also does anyone have an issue with the fact that spiders can be caught in rabbit traps? I've never done it, as I stopped trapping for rabbits ages ago, but if that's the case then it makes hunting them that much easier. I would think a rabbit trap either shouldn't catch spiders, or maybe only trap them for a few seconds before they burst free, destroying the trap.]

Yes i think poison would be a good idea to.

At any time in a game where you can either tank your enemies or hit&run to kill them its more a time issue than anything.

Things in games are fun in generel if you either have to plan them or if they could kill you or if they are difficult or all three.

I don´t like mindless grinding i might as well work at the supermarked its essentially the same exept you get paid for it.

That they get can get caught in Traps is actually a thing that i like.

If the spiders would be stronger you would have to use traps as well as fighting spiders.

I don´t know if they should be able to free themselves, it would be much harder for you to isolate spiders

because you would have to replace traps mid battle.

(5 at the start, you catch 4 in traps kill 1, replace 3 traps, kill one etc.)

or you must have a ridiculus amount of traps.

But i get your point, if they are caught like rabbits its mindless farming all over again.

Also, how about a giant "mother" spider? I know it sounds like a boss monster... but the possibility a more dangerous and powerful spider appearing from a 3rd-tier spider nest might further dissuade constant attacks on spider nests. Just a thought.

I like the Idea, new content is always nice. But if the spiders are tougher there is no need for a mother spider.

Exept if it would drop something rare for crafting, then it would be neat. Maybe Spider eggs so you can have your own evil minions? :D

I think its a good idea to punish hoarding. And random massive forest fires would actually be a good thing too because,

its an event that may force you to change your base and dangerous events in generell are fun.

You learn to appreciate stuff way more if there is a chance of loosing it.

I don´t say there should be a Thunderstorm all the time, maybe 3% chance per day or so.

At any time in a game where you can either tank your enemies or hit&run to kill them its more a time issue than anything.

Things in games are fun in generel if you either have to plan them or if they could kill you or if they are difficult or all three.

I don´t like mindless grinding i might as well work at the supermarked its essentially the same exept you get paid for it.

That they get can get caught in Traps is actually a thing that i like.

If the spiders would be stronger you would have to use traps as well as fighting spiders.

I don´t know if they should be able to free themselves, it would be much harder for you to isolate spiders

because you would have to replace traps mid battle.

(5 at the start, you catch 4 in traps kill 1, replace 3 traps, kill one etc.)

or you must have a ridiculus amount of traps.

But i get your point, if they are caught like rabbits its mindless farming all over again.

I like the Idea, new content is always nice. But if the spiders are tougher there is no need for a mother spider.

Exept if it would drop something rare for crafting, then it would be neat. Maybe Spider eggs so you can have your own evil minions? :D

I think its a good idea to punish hoarding.

Well I don't believe the problem has to be with hoarding, after all the goal of survival is to gather resources that benefit you. Rather there need to be restrictions to balance the collection of resources. The new restriction placed on replanted berry bushes for example helps. And I've seen the Gobbler in action since its logic was fixed and it now manages to steal more berries than before. It's not a huge menace, but a bothersome pest now at the very least.

And random massive forest fires would actually be a good thing too because, its an event that may force you to change your base and dangerous events in generell are fun.

I think random fires would punish all types of players, whether good or bad. What if you built you base camp in the middle of a forest? I've seen how quickly fires spread, and if you keep adding random fires it could lead to a complete shortage of wood and grass. I would prefer a more pinpoint solution.

That's not to say there can't be events which are chaotic, as I've suggested a couple in the past. Spider migrations (new spider nests) and the like.

Spider poison could also be a new collectible, which when combined with a stinger and feather would allow you to create a poison dart. While reeds were suggested in another thread as a way to create the blow gun.

The question, is hunting spiders this way just a good tactic, or is it broken? I mean, creating solutions and hunting methods aren't always cheats. In fact, I heard someone place berries in the middle of a ring of rabbit traps and used that it as bait to trap them faster. I think that's just good planning.

I think hunting spiders with traps is a feature not a bug. But i think games are only fun if you have to do difficult things, thats the whole reason for this thread.

So if they die instantly if they hit a trap its pretty easy to farm them.

I would rather fight 2 minutes against a mob of plant gurdians that steal all my stuff than just farm plants and run around collecting them.

I think hunting spiders with traps is a feature not a bug.

I'm sure that's how it is... I'm just not sure how I feel about it.

So if they die instantly if they hit a trap its pretty easy to farm them. I would rather fight 2 minutes against a mob of plant gurdians that steal all my stuff than just farm plants and run around collecting them.

Well I wouldn't mind a mix of both. Farming, hunting, exploring, and inventing/crafting.