I bet its da nuclear bomb. Shh, its a good pun! Don't say otherwise . . . . . . .

These are a few ideas to make nuclear better however, no matter how bad the pun is...

(Th) Thorium consumable ore - A consumable ore that can be used in the Fission Reactor or Research Reactor. It is the most common nuclear fuel, but at the cost of being the least effective/efficient nuclear fuel. It is also used in a variety of nuclear applications, and isn't very radioactive by itself.

(Pu) Plutonium consumable ore - A consumable ore that can be used in the Fission Reactor, but is too powerful to be used in the Research Reactor. It is the rarest nuclear fuel, but it's also the best nuclear fuel when enriched. Can be used to create Fluoride Plutonium liquid fuel, and this material, as well as anything made with this, is hazardously radioactive.

(T or H3) Tritium ore - A product that is highly radioactive and is a byproduct of the Research Reactor and the Fission Reactor. It constantly emits Radioactive Contaminants based on mass and must be dealt with immediately to prevent any kind of damaging or lasting contamination. However, even with how dangerous it is, it has serious medical applications and can be used to build the Detoxifier if my previous post gets added into the game. It can also be put in the Isotope Separator to produce small amounts of Hydrogen Gas, although the gas output is heavily contaminated when doing this. Tritium cannot be enriched or reused in Fission Reactors or Research Reactors, and cannot be used in fluoride fuels.

(F-) Fluoride liquid - A liquid that can be used to create fluoride fuels.

Research Reactor changes - Now has a filtered input dictating what nuclear fuels it can accept and deny, so duplicants don't traverse half the colony carrying hazardous nuclear material. Also produces Tritium as a highly radioactive waste product.

Uranium Fluoride liquid fuel - A consumable and radioactive liquid fuel that can be used in the Molten Salt Reactor.

Plutonium Fluoride liquid fuel - A consumable and hazardously radioactive liquid fuel used in the Molten Salt Reactor.

Th/U/Pu solid fuel - A consumable and efficient solid fuel fit for use via the Fission Reactor.

(Radiation Hazard Shield) RHS tile - A tile to block radiation, but must be built with lead or some other radiation shield. Must be built 2 blocks thick to be especially effective against radiation.

RHS Door - A 3 tile tall and 2 tile wide door that must be built with lead or some other radiation shield in combination with a refined metal. Highly effective at blocking radiation but requires power to be effective at blocking radiation. It opens and closes slowly, and is highly ineffective at blocking gas flow due to this reason.

RHS Glass tile - A glass tile that requires a transparent material and a radiation shield material. It inherits its radiation blocking effects from the shield material and allows decor to pass through, but has a negative (Or positive, your choice, Klei-) decor bonus itself.

Fission Reactor generator - A power source that releases 2.5 kW when powered with enriched (Th) Thorium, 6.5 kW when powered with (U) Uranium, and 11.5 kW when powered with (Pu) Plutonium. It has a filter on which nuclear fuel to used, and requires a coolant. Like real-life nuclear reactors, the coolant can be cooled in a closed loop. Encourages delving into radiation when progressing into the midgame, as it provides a large power bonus even exceeding the petroleum generator, with a serious radiation hazard if not shielded. It produces depleted fuels and small amounts of nuclear waste every time it is refueled, as well as Tritium.

Isotope Separator/Recycler machine - A machine that requires 1 kW of power to seperate depleted fuels. The crafting chain goes like so:

1kg Depleted Thorium > 350g Thorium + 150g Uranium

1kg Depleted Uranium > 400g Uranium + 50g Thorium + 75g Plutonium

1kg Depleted Plutonium > 250g Plutonium + 75g Uranium

1kg Tritium > 750g Hydrogen Gas (radioactive contaminant infected)

The other output is lead, but it is based on leftover mass post-input, as that is leftover decayed radioactive material.

This does not factor the inefficiency of the centrifuge used to enrich these elements, and is not self sustainable under normal conditions. It does not produce enough trace products to run any reactor for long.

Thorium/Uranium/Plutonium Volcano - A volcano that creates molten Th/U/Pu 100+ Celsius past their melting points at variable rates depending on the volcano. A renewable and late-game source of Th/U/Pu.

There is a variant of this that outputs almost useless and highly radioactive Tritium instead, and is very dangerous to handle.

(MSR) Molten Salt Reactor generator - A power source that releases 10 kW when powered with Uranium Fluoride, and 16 kW when powered with Plutonium Fluoride. It requires a molten salt coolant, and cannot meltdown. If the coolant gets too hot, it will shut down the reactor until operable temperature is restored again, requiring environmental cooling at an ideal temperature, as molten salt will cool into solid salt when it is too cold. 10% of the MSR output consists of highly radioactive depleted fluoride fuel, while the rest is still able to be used for fission, although both outputs are very hot. It will require you to melt regular salt to obtain coolant, as well as cool the environment to be hot enough (about 120 Celsius) so that the molten salt does not solidify. It will also require you to not receive an input of molten salt over 200 Celsius. Ultimately more of a late game generator as it is too expensive and complicated early/mid game to sustain over long periods of time. Does not output Tritium.

I`m pretty sure there`s a mod for better nuclear with more structures and stuff. Anyway i`d like a proper anti rad door (also insulated airlock pretty please) and more glass types. Maybe we could get a new byproduct of the reactor that could be used in smaller modular reactors too. That would be cool for the small planetoids. Just send a bit of fuel and it would last for a long time without needing a ridiculous amount of space.

8 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I`m pretty sure there`s a mod for better nuclear with more structures and stuff. Anyway i`d like a proper anti rad door (also insulated airlock pretty please) and more glass types. Maybe we could get a new byproduct of the reactor that could be used in smaller modular reactors too. That would be cool for the small planetoids. Just send a bit of fuel and it would last for a long time without needing a ridiculous amount of space.

I pretty much listed all of that here as the RHS door, RHS glass, and Tritium (waste product) as well as depleted Thorium and Plutonium, which can be recycled. I also suggested a fission reactor and molten salt reactor.

On 4/12/2024 at 5:05 AM, Firecart said:

I pretty much listed all of that here as the RHS door, RHS glass, and Tritium (waste product) as well as depleted Thorium and Plutonium, which can be recycled. I also suggested a fission reactor and molten salt reactor.

Yeah i mean those things of your original suggestion would be useful on their own with the current systems. The rest sounds like a great idea for mods and i think there is at least one mod adding this sort of stuff.

The problem with the game at this point of time is that the devs alre unlikely to add large sophisticated systems like that but it`s likely they add a small useful thing like an RHS airlock.