Simple Rocket interior design

I've been trying to set up for a first rocket, using steam as propulsion, and a spacefarer module.

And I lost the original design I use for long term space flights, so I'm looking around again, and... every design seems to be slightly not an option. They're always using mechanical filters or weird construction bugs. I just want something with a built-in telescope so I can scan around while away from the colony, drop off rovers, and then fly back.

Second design can incorporate the atmo suit docks, for building a proper base on the planet.

Title probably should have had a question mark, it makes it look like I have one, not that I'm looking for one.

Edited by ekimmak

In my humble opinion, players tend to over complicate rocket interiors.  If you've got good food and haven't overdone it with your pilot's skills, you should be fine with a straightforward setup.  Below is an old pic of my exploration rocket interior (long before storage tiles and dehydrators were a thing).  I would recommend snaking water to the toilet instead of using the liquid output fitting as I did here, and the introduction of storage tiles adds room for recreation or decor.  If you don't need databanks or the telescope, moving the mess table and adding a phone in the room currently serving as a lab gives you a great hall and barracks for an additional +7 morale.

exploration interior.jpg

I find the split  2 level / 3 level design to be the most versatile and reconfigurable depending upon your needs. 

Suitable for small petroleum, radbolt, and larger rockets.

Atmo suit O2: I typically use a gas cargo rocket cannister to fill the atmosuit docks (because it is low energy) for any designs where the rockets will land on a hostile planet with no infrastructure. Otherwise, I just fill them up before the rocket takes off.

Cabin O2: oxylite storage tile(s) containers/bin, algae distiller, or even cannibilize your atmosuit O2 if needed

Water: Just snake a water pipe throughout the cabin.

CO2: I prefer a simple carbon skimmer for its low power consumption and minimal water needs. You could easily replace with a (mini) gas pump and a filter if you prefer.

rockets.png.55c8507a1e1175ac8fa68af097595e22.png

Left: standard one/two dupe colonizer design with storage. Replace storage container with mess table/bed as needed (or not).

Middle: standard one dupe researcher.  Can be reconfigured to carry an extra dupe when needed. You could also easily squeeze an an orbital data collector into the research design if you wanted to.

Right: three dupe colonizer design. Replace fridge with mess table for 3. 

All have the same basic configuration.  In the late game you can also reconfigure into a two rocket shared room design for four dupes. Rocket One is a specialized design which has a barracks and a bathroom. Rocket two has a great hall and storage as is based off the above design scheme.

Let me know if you want to see the piping overlays.

Live shot of our intrepid heroes en route to build a glorious new colony on the the 52B planet.

20240322132438_1.jpg.f5a5ed357680b5e7eb4ba5001bbe639d.jpg20240322132459_1.jpg.14a318916ab16432679f05e9a6fb532f.jpg

To be somewhat optimal, a rocket interior should have a Great Hall, that's +6 morale and it's equal or better than any room combination involving a Mess Hall and there's always plenty of stuff you can put in a Great Hall so it doesn't really take up any space. I'd sacrifice anything for having a Great Hall.

If you want more Morale, a Beach Chair is the next best thing after a Great Hall, as even in total darkness it provides +5 morale and dupes in a Spacefarer often don't need to do anything. If it's the only source of recreation dupes will use it every cycle, so if that's a problem (you actually have stuff for them to do) you can disable it most the time. They only need to use it once ever 13 cycles.

You don't need hand cleaning at all, unless you really want to get the Bathroom morale. Cots are also not very important and barracks is not a very good source of morale. If it's not inconvenient you can have one.

Some designs:

For a Telescope, something like this:

image.png.95135e2f4288ed2971e1b498fcfbfe8b.png
I'd actually use a mechanical filter, but if you are opposed to them a Gas Filter works fine. You can choose between having a Barracks for +1 morale and slightly faster stamina recovery, or a Washroom for +2 morale.

For portable base, something like this:

image.png.4b96d0a6dc24f7bd2caebaed24c99c27.png

(Again a Gas Filter is fine if you don't want to use the mechanical filter, very easy replacement)

If you're willing to forsake some rooms, but still have a Great Hall, you can have a portable base housing 5 Dupes.

image.png.8b7946d4b0666cf715391eba981b67ae.png

The weird tricks like building on Mechanical Airlocks is only needed for 5 dupes, you can easily fit 3 or 4 without any weird tricks.

Overall less rooms and more dupes is always better for productivity for a Portable Base