Opinions on reworking/improving Wilson's torch tree.

Opinions on reworking Wilson's torch tree.  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want for Klei to rework/improve on the tree?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you want the light radius and durability perks be combined?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Should the radius and durability perks extend to other usable light sources? (eg: lantern, miner hat)

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Any other suggestions you want to add? Feel free to comment.

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, mkemal23 said:

This is why I love Beard skills. They aren's super strong or anything but they help you at every stage of the game.

Yes, the reason why I enjoy the beard tree due to the perks are simply just there, not doing much. The insulation perk can be great in winter, yet it also can cause a very fast overheating rate during summer. I don't choose the growth perk since I prefer the default beard growth timer. The silly beard storage perk is very handy at times, especially due to being able to "smuggle" meat items in the slots amongst the bunnymen's presences. And it's not like people haven't used Hutch, or the bundling wraps and the Polar Bearger Bin for the same reason. Heck, even Maxwell's magician chest can bypass those bunnymen due to the shared storage with the magician's hat.

Yes, I know that giving characters straight better items are not a healthy way to balance the game but I genuinely don't think there is any other way.

Even in the beta right now, Wormwood has an exclusive armor to himself, which is the Brambleshade Armor. Wigfrid has the Battle Rönd, also can only be used for her. I personally would like for Wilson to have an "exclusive" item for himself too, even if it's only just a single torch. (Not me wanting Wilson to have the actual Tragic Torch for plot reasons :wilson_wink:)

Thats why I'm one those people who think "Torch" tree should have been a "Light" tree instead.

Yes, the much more generalized light sources skill tree certainly would be much better in my opinion. The torch tree only focusing on the damn torches isn't going to be fun after countless days. Meanwhile, both the transmutation and beard trees are very awesome and great to have in even for hundreds or thousands of days. Twiggy tree world? No problem, just transmute the logs into twigs for early game. Have too much rocks but no marble? Transmute the cut stones into marble as you wish.

The one "busted" transmutation a.k.a the Iridescent Gem still needs players to collect the required gems from either ruins or via fighting Dragonfly; both are daunting even to experienced players. Even if someone set a Varg farm early on, it's still going to take some time for the blue/red gems gotten to be changed into green gems or the Iridescent Gem.

2 hours ago, mkemal23 said:

But at least people are slowly realising that making a entire skill tree for a single item just beceuse "Haha It's the torch holding Don't starve guy!!" is not a good way to handle a skill tree.

Truly. Even if Wolfgang's skill tree was quite mediocre too, he still has lots of items to increase his mightiness.

Just because it's iconic for Wilson to hold a torch (ever since the first Don't Starve poster, may I add), doesn't mean it's a good thing to solely focus on it.

• Thanks 1
  • Health 1

7 hours ago, Anis5240 said:

An important character story-wise now was left in the dust in the current game progression and your pessimistic talk certainly didn't help things. Why bother coming here?

No, I am just wondering what point there is; and if it is worth it. Does it not help by raising questions?

Whether I sound pessimistic or not is solely up to your personal interpretaion. 

Also I fail to see the correlation between "story-wise" and "current game progression". Perhaps you mean "Game update development" instead?

If yes, then please remember that story and gameplay are two different things. Nothing you do in the game is necessarily in canon.

Should you wish to prove me wrong, please fight all the enemies shown in the trailer without armour. (Except ancient fuelweaver, you can wear log suit as shown in the trailer), and grab your friends do do the same.

Please feel free to send your footage to me after you are done. I would love to watch the remakes of these trailers again.

Edited by Pomato

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pomato said:

No, I am just wondering what point there is; and if it is worth it.

It's to change the absolute mediocrity of the torch tree into an overall simple yet more generalized light source skill tree. I do believe I have said countless times that the torch light radius and durability perks combined is just a discount lantern. Has almost the same radius and durability of a lantern, in fact. Imagine spending 7 total points simply for that. Even if you only choose one side, does it justify for a throwable torch? And only for torches?

Willow's lighter perk also has the same radius and durability perk, yet it certainly didn't take 3 or 7 long points simply to make it viable.

And for the love of science, if I ever read/see another argument of "Wilson is supposed to be the vanilla character, of course he ought to remain being mediocre", then your words are simply stupid. The game is nearing an end (if we ever assume Klei truly is committed to it), yet Wilson - the supposed main character of the story - is stuck at the broken end of the stick gameplay-wise, simply due to the fact one huge part of his overall skill tree is dedicated to torches only. Do you still use torches at the current "endgame", aside from fighting Crystal Deerclops (and even then, a fire staff will do the same job at a safer distance)?

Of course, Klei still has the final say if they ever want to rework/improve the torch tree, but voices of the community has been important to the game's development, ever since DS era. Surely a bit of hope won't hurt, right?

Edited by Anis5240

44 minutes ago, KrazJoe said:

craft Divine Rod

:wilson_horror: like in DS, especially for Adventure Mode? I wonder what the rod could be though, since y'know, we have yet to reach any point where finding Charlie could warrant something. Wagstaff is currently building another portal story-wise, and who knows what that portal could be use of.

2 hours ago, Anis5240 said:

:wilson_horror: like in DS, especially for Adventure Mode? I wonder what the rod could be though, since y'know, we have yet to reach any point where finding Charlie could warrant something. Wagstaff is currently building another portal story-wise, and who knows what that portal could be use of.

Divine Rod can be a locator for chess pieces, or general boss locator. React to bosses instead of "things"

3 minutes ago, KrazJoe said:

general boss locator

Hmm, I certainly won't mind if it's like the Navigadget from Hamlet, but then again, this whole poll discussion is about the torch tree so :wilson_laugh:

However, general-wise we already somewhat have a boss locator via the Astral Detector from the Archives, yet I certainly won't mind if we can find Malbatross in the sea too. I certainly don't want to keep sailing around and fish, then hope for RNG to have the damn boss spawn in the area.

4 minutes ago, Retepeter said:

you believe klei will go back on something they explicitly stated because people said a skin looks bad?

A bit of hope won't hurt anyone to have. Enough people have voiced concern over the old Masquerade hair skin that made Klei to do the change. What I'm proposing here is simply for Klei to have another look at the Wilson's torch tree because it was very, very pitiful to look at right now. Do you expect to see a well-seasoned Wilson player to still choose the torch tree after hundreds of days worth of playtime? I mean, if the thrown torch can hit and burn the Crystal Deerclops during its vulnerable time, then sure it's cool but right now the whole torch light radius and durability perks combined is simply a glorified discount lantern.

I also said earlier that a generalized light source skill tree would be much better in my opinion, especially due to the Horizon Expanditor from Scrappy Werepig soon. I sure would like to completely mapping out my ocean expedition, and sailing at night is rather daunting due to not being able to see danger far ahead well until it was too late.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anis5240 said:

A bit of hope won't hurt anyone to have. What I'm proposing here is simply for Klei to have another look

You remind me of that golden Wigfrid guy.

And that french guy who is actually russian.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Pomato said:

You remind me of that golden Wigfrid guy.

I'm not exactly sure what you meant but I do know that I'm not complaining about the whole game, be it the bugs/exploits or anything. Just asking Klei to have a look at the torch tree then improve it, that's all.