Wes skills ideas

Let me simply share some ideas for Wes skills. In short, I'm not the one who thinks Wes should become more challengable with his skill tree, or should have pointless skills. I view Wes as a character who actually helps his team while has less stats and poor luck. To me he's pretty balanced by himself: more hounds means more tooth to craft traps, also speedy baloon to run from them; lighning problem - he has hat designed to overcome it. As for teamplay, enemies have higher chance to target him, plus he can share a speedy baloon early game, and he can also restore sanity for teammebers.

So these are the ideas I have:

I. The chosen one!

I.I. Increase chance to be targeted by the enemy by 10%

I.II. increase change to be targeted by enemy by 30%

I.III. Savior: learn to craft red kapote, which will aggro all hostile creatures towards you (like Bernie taunt) while weared. It’s made of balloon resin, so pops after first hit.

So the point of this branch is to make Wes more useful as a distraction for the enemies. For most cases, hounds still target other players / other mobs while Wes is around. Since Wes has speedy baloon, he can outrun most enemies, while also removing threat from the other players. I think skilled team players might want this improvement.

II. Run for your life!

II.I. Wes has 10% more speed increase while wearing speedy balloon

II.II. Wes has 20% more speed increase while wearing speedy balloon, but any undomesticated beefalo he tries to ride goes into heat 

So in total Wes will have up to 50% speed increase from balloon, which is a bit less than with rider beefalo. I think giving Wes a speed bonus is good, because: 1) it disencorourages Wes players to use beefalo, so playing with risky 75 hp is encouraged. 2) it makes speedy baloon useful even lategame for Wes. 3) Probably it will encourage speedrunners to play Wes more

III. Unlucky friends.

I. Any monster meat fed to a pig has a chance to transform it into a werepig (25% for 1, 50% for 2, 75% for 3 monster meat). - while this could be a challenge for new players, for expierenced players it could be beneficial since you have higher chances to receive wepepig loot with less resources.

II. Berry bushes have higher chance to spawn gobblers - another disaster for new players, but actually an extra meat source.

III. Traveling on sea will increase chance of pirate raids - I don't know if someone needs pirate raids, but  probably someone will find use for it.

IV. Higher chance for lureplant to spawn mear Wes.

IV, Pantomime!

I. Craft an invisible wall for the cost of 20 sanity. It only works while nearby player is insane, but also stops nightmare creatures. I can be destroyed regularly, and doesn't interfear with object placement - any object placed or dropped will destroy the wall automatically.

II. Piece of cake! - Wes mimics throwing some edible item on thee ground, which will attract monsters like hounds, bearger, spiders, pigs and werepigs, gobblers, monkeys as if there was an edible food on the ground. This doesn't guarantee deaggro, monster should behave normally, and the invisible object could attracts someone only within 10 seconds before it disappears.

III. Rope trick! - learn how to craft invisible rope. You can attach it to yourself in torso slot, and put items into it as if it’s a backpack of infinite length. However each item put into slots will actually be floating with a balloon on it, so any other character/monkey may pick it. Wes can only pick  item in his first slot, as if “pulling the rope”, and extra items added also take the first slot, as if he prolongues the rope. The rope isn’t actually infinite, after filling 12 slots, the  rope will  tear, dropping all items. 

IV. Bicycle! - Wes makes a riding invisible bicycle animation which moves in circle with 60% speed bonus (as if rider beefalo). Player can’t change the path, any click will interrupt Wes. If Wes encounters objects like walls, trees, or map edges, he will “fall” from bicycle. - this is jsut for fun. Possibly someone will find a way to bypass enemy attacks, or will finds some other use for it, like making enemies run for Wes in circles while players deal with these enemies one by one. IDK, but bicycle seems pretty fun.

V. Not-painful shots! - imitate a booster shot effect on other character for the cost of 30 sanity. - Wes should not be able to apply it to himself. But he will help others, and probably this ability will encourage others to play and appreciate Wes more.

V. Balloomancy!

I. Water balloon: Fill balloon with water which acts as Mosquito Sack (but has no healing effect) - so simple, why it's not here yet?

II. Bunloon! - Wes crafts a huge balloon of a bunny form. People can sleep hugging this balloon, which will restore sanity and health as a tent, but after wake up the balloon will pop, dealing 30 damage (damage can't kill the player, 1 hp should be left)

III. Boatloon! - Wes can craft a boat with balloons for the cost of 40 sanity. This boat doesn’t take damage when sailed into rocks/land shore, but has health pull (as grass raft), and will instantly pop if takes any damage (e.g. from creatures, fire, lighting). Also no structures can be placed on such boat.

IV. Fishloon! - some staff for sea fishing rod.

V. Flyaway balloon - learn how to craft a balloon which will teleport you to a random location (as tier III goose). This ability is locked by 2 run for your life skills.

Vl. Learn how to craft specific red balloon, which acts as hostile flair when launched into air. This ability is locked by 2 the chosen one skills.

As for affinities, I don't actually know what to propose. I would like to see something like "more shadow creatures will spawn while Wes is insane, but all skills would cost less sanity" so Wes would have harder time while insane, but also will be better at farming nightmare fuel and will be able to craft more balloons. I also want him to be able to craft the transformer from balloons, like in the movie, but honestly, it's difficult to propose something viable and challenging with it. 

What do you think on proposed skills?

What would you add for Wes?

• Like 9
  • GL Happy 1

This is way too much, a character only has 15 skill points to invest within and most of them either improve what the character already does, or gives them a handful of new crafts.

Wes should get some actual useful perks.. but I’m not entirely sure what those should be, after the drastic changes to Wormwood being the “challenge” character, I expect Wes will become less challenging with his refresh too.

Its only fair after all..

Maybe he can craft a balloon battle M- :lol:

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

I'm also loving the Unlucky Friends perks. Punishing in some instances but also able to be very beneficial if you know how to manage them. The idea about items floating behind Wes on a balloon train is great. I've seen a similar suggestion before and liked it then too. I wasn't sure how to manage the balloons, but making it into a backpack slot item makes a lot of sense. Bunloon and boatloon are also solid and fun ideas. 

Edited by Donzilbert
Typo
  • Like 1

Pretty good ideas but I wish Klei add his Balloon mecha (transformer as you said)) from april fools video wich doesn't really do anything but doesn't have time limit and looks epic so you could just use it outside of fighting without any advantages or disadvantages 

Edited by Loyal Plant

I like the boatloon idea, I think it would be cool if it bounced off of obstacles so you couldn't use it to smash seastacks or knock down knobbly seeds. I do think it should be highly risk to use though, so maybe it would be better if it popped instantly from running into any obstacle.

It could also be called "inflatable raft" to go with his I inflatable vest.

11 hours ago, shaurun said:

I. The chosen one!

I.I. Increase chance to be targeted by the enemy by 10%

I.II. increase change to be targeted by enemy by 30%

I.III. Savior: learn to craft red kapote, which will aggro all hostile creatures towards you (like Bernie taunt) while weared. It’s made of balloon resin, so pops after first hit.

So the point of this branch is to make Wes more useful as a distraction for the enemies. For most cases, hounds still target other players / other mobs while Wes is around. Since Wes has speedy baloon, he can outrun most enemies, while also removing threat from the other players. I think skilled team players might want this improvement.

I'm particularly fond of these ones.

Having skills that actively harm Wes, but aids allies would single handedly make me a Wes main.

An additional suggestion to the prospective Wes tree: Heart to heart

Release a single heart shaped balloon into the sky which then descends to the nearest dead player. Wes instantly dies.

Anyone, besides Wes, can haunt the balloon and revive on the spot. Similar to a life giving amulet.

OR

Craft a heart shaped balloon that can be gifted to any player. Crafting the balloon instantly kills Wes.

Anyone, besides Wes, can haunt the balloon and revive on the spot. Similar to a life giving amulet.

Edited by ButterStuffed
  • Like 1
  • GL Happy 2

I wish Wes could spend 3 insight points to increase hunger "Metabolize (I, II, III), but with each point spent the hunger would drain faster.

The quick hunger drain was the thing I liked most about Wes.

Please bring it back.

Edited by Emilier

Alignments:

Living balloons that are close in damage as there non-ballon equivalent  but are one hit death and are loyal too wes  for each 
that takes a large chunk of sanity to make or draws extreme attention to Wes from there respective mob that they look like