Deleting my Klei Account Without Losing Steam Items and Game Access

Hello Klei community,

I hope you're doing well. I would like to seek your assistance in understanding how I can delete my Klei account without losing my items on Steam and access to associated games.

The reason behind this is that currently, I'm not actively using my Klei account, and I don't see the need to keep it. I would like to go back to my previous experience of playing games normally through Steam, as I did before creating the Klei account.

I find it quite unfair to lose all my items and game access by deleting the account, which, to me, doesn't make sense. I consider it unnecessary for individuals like me who use Klei solely to play games via Steam.

I'm wondering if anyone has faced a similar situation and if there's any guidance or specific process I can follow to perform this deletion without causing a loss of items and game access on Steam.

I appreciate your attention and any help you can provide.

• Developer

The problem with what you're suggesting is that that's what your Klei account is. We're not secretive about what information we have on people, we're happy to show it to players. For your account information it's actually downloadable from the Klei Accounts website. We don't have a download of the itemserver data but that's just lack of engineering time rather than it being secret.

Which items you have for DST and ONI is stored on Klei servers. If you delete your account then you're deleting our record of which items you have, which means that when steam asks us what user X owns we say "We have no records of them owning anything" and it shows up as you having no items.

Note that you don't lose ownership of games you've purchased on steam when you delete your Klei account (you would if you deleted your steam account though). We do stop you from playing during the 30 day cooldown window to avoid an exploit where griefers delete their accounts and create new ones every time they get banned, but once the 30 days is done if you play again you'll be a completely new user to us with a completely new steam item inventory.

If you let me know what specifically you're trying to accomplish I'd be happy to provide more detail but basically the problem with deleting your account but keeping your steam items is that the record of what steam items you own is what your account _is_, along with your email address so we can confirm account deletions / merges.

Hope this helps!

• Like 3
  • Health 1