# The idea

So, the idea is simple: add a toggle that allows to view change of a metric instead of the absolute value of said metric. Here are the applications i can think of.

## Direct

These ones are pretty obvious, just monitor a change in a variable, instead of said variable. These include:

• Temperature overlay
  • Germs overlay
  • Oxygen overlay
  • Power overlay (shows battery charge/discharge speed)

There are also overlays that while could get this type of a feature would hardly benefit from it (usually since they're mostly static). These are the light (+rad), farming and decor overlays.

## Transport

These are for the conveyor, plumbing and ventilation. The feature i would offer is the transfer rate. This isn't exactly a derivative, but mentally it's very close so i decided to put it here.

# The unaffected

These usually mean there's no numbers going on in the overlays, the remaining ones are:

• Material (as much as i would like to...)
  • Room (obviously)
  • Exosuit (does anyone even use this one?)
  • Automation (c'mon, what did you expect?)

# Conclusion

I would like to point out that the most important use case is the temperature overlay, since it would be very helpful to know what is going on and how to stop it. Usually only two colors is enough for this (red-grey-blue or whatever makes the most sense in the context). IMO a very useful thing and fairly easy to implement, and i didn't really see any mods doing this type of stuff.

Archived