Mid-game I sometimes find it difficult to have enough raw metal (metal ore). I think it would be nice to be able to create bronze. Bronze could be a combination of Copper and Aluminum, or Copper and Phosphorous, or Copper and Silicon (sand). A smelter could be used with Copper and one of these other ingredients to create bronze. Bronze could then be used as a metal ore would be used.

If you wanted to get fancy with it, I recall when fire poles had to be made from refined metal. I could see fire poles requiring bronze or steel. Perhaps other things that a refined metal is used for might make more sense as bronze and could be tweaked in the future.

But for now, it would just be great to be able to turn copper back into a metal ore, a metal ore called bronze. 50 copper and 50 of one of the other ingredients would create the bronze. Bronze could be refined again back into copper, losing whatever the second ingredient had been. Perhaps hatches could even eat bronze and spit out copper or coal as appropriate.

Well you just created a backwards problem. Considering you have refinery production set to infinite, setting bronze production to this would just result in all metal being reverted backwards to raw.

What could be cool though is a bit easier to get steel alternative (steel is both ore and metal, you achieve perfection), which is may aswell be. It could have lower tolerance to impact than steel, but have higher decor value for example.

10 hours ago, SGT_Imalas said:

all alloys (steel, niobium, thermium are alloys) have renewable sources and can be used as "ores"

although i still can't understand why refined metals aren't