Rocketry Automation Help

I got 3 related question about Rocket Automation...

First one for early rocketry game, I would like to have automation launch a rocket so it goes in orbit during the day to do research and return in the evening, again by automation so I dont have to manage the dupe doing space research.

1. Morning->Call Pilot
  2. Launch
  3. Evening -> land
  4. Pilot exits to live in base

Second, for mid game, I would like similar hand off automation from for rockets that mine debris fields,

1. No cargo->Call Pilot
  2. Launch
  3. go to field
  4. mine
  5. return
  6. land
  7. unload
  8. Pilot exits to live in base
  9. repeat

Third, for late game rocketry, I would like to automate a rocket so it shuttles between 2 worlds without  having to do anything

1. Cargo Ready->Call Pilot
  2. Launch to word B
  3. land
  4. unload
  5. Pilot Dupe exits and return to base.
  6. Cargo Ready->Call Pilot
  7. Launch to word A
  8. land
  9. unload
  10. Pilot Dupe exits and return to base
  11. Repeat

27 minutes ago, asurendra said:

Is it even possible to automatically land the rocket? Rocket platform support automatical launch, but landing...

Put a mechanical airlock above the rocket. Set destination to the orbit and back, launch the rocket and after it passes the door close it to prevent the rocket from landing. It will land after you open the door.

I’m pretty sure that if you set a round-trip and then close the doors the rocket will land anyway and destroy the doors. 

2 hours ago, Knurek said:

Put a mechanical airlock above the rocket. Set destination to the orbit and back, launch the rocket and after it passes the door close it to prevent the rocket from landing. It will land after you open the door.

19 minutes ago, ScreamingPict said:

I’m pretty sure that if you set a round-trip and then close the doors the rocket will land anyway and destroy the doors. 

I actually tested this before posting. You can close the door right after launch, even before the rocket flies through the door. The door will stay intact and the rocket won't be able to land back as long as the door get's closed before landing starts. Just tested this again to make sure. 

Thanks for the closing the bunker door idea unfortunately the rocket is still landing on closing doors.

So instead the simpler solution is to have it travel a distance greater than orbit. for the return home trick to work. 

I managed to get passed the hurdles of some signals send green too early and some stop sending green too soon...

Right now I have a safe fire and forget way to send someone in space to do research at least.

But I see no way to automate the departure. I still have to hit the Crew Button at the start the process... 

1 hour ago, icuurd12b42 said:

Thanks for the closing the bunker door idea unfortunately the rocket is still landing on closing doors.

Don't use bunker doors. The rocket will land before they close. Use a mechanical airlock. When connected to power it closes in a second, before the rocket starts landing. 

For the rest of your rocketry automation I encourage you to design the circuits yourself step by step. You already know exactly what you want, so just start building one point at a time, test it, add another one, test again and so on.

But I see no way to automate the departure.

image.png.3b62821f693fdeee56939e8908a749ea.png

You can use a cycle sensor to send a green signal for a rocket launch in the morning.

Thanks, but Sending a green signal there does not call the pilot in for take off. It's pretty pointless as that only works if the pilot is on board. In my case when the rocket lands the capsule goes from [crew] to [all] as occupancy and the pilot goes to eat and to bed at the base... 

Also I have to use bunker doors. there are asteroid destroying everything .

24 minutes ago, icuurd12b42 said:

Thanks, but Sending a green signal there does not call the pilot in for take off. It's pretty pointless as that only works if the pilot is on board. In my case when the rocket lands the capsule goes from [crew] to [all] as occupancy and the pilot goes to eat and to bed at the base... 

There's no need to press the "crew" button before launching the rocket. Dupes should go onboard anyway.

25 minutes ago, icuurd12b42 said:

I meant don't use bunker doors to stop the rocket from landing if you launch it to the orbit. You can have bunker doors above the airlock, that's no problem.

51 minutes ago, Knurek said:

There's no need to press the "crew" button before launching the rocket. Dupes should go onboard anyway.

I meant don't use bunker doors to stop the rocket from landing if you launch it to the orbit. You can have bunker doors above the airlock, that's no problem.

Guess I did something wrong too lol, had to try automating a rocket launch and land with timers. It hit the door. Alot.

It's a good thing we have Meeps DNA on file.

Good luck mate. I'd recommend sandbox mode and trial/error.

Oh and I think one of the timers or cycle censors is kinda busted. It slowly gets out of sync.

If anyone can clarify which one.

I'm sorry but sending a green signal to the launch automation port definitely does not call in the crew.

I have it set so it turns the launch signal green when the ship is loaded up. But it only launches if I manually call in the crew with the UI...

Are you saying it's the bunkers being there that stopping it working right? I'll change my logic.

image.png.eac817ef0cef07b2fcf9bb48e6e549b1.png

2 hours ago, icuurd12b42 said:

I'm sorry but sending a green signal to the launch automation port definitely does not call in the crew.

I have it set so it turns the launch signal green when the ship is loaded up. But it only launches if I manually call in the crew with the UI...

image.png.eac817ef0cef07b2fcf9bb48e6e549b1.png

A green signal sent to the launch input on the platform summons the crew and launches the rocket. That I've already shown in a video in one of the posts above.

You're using the rocket checklist output from the rocket platform to initiate the launch. One of the requirements to get a green signal from that output is that the pilot is onboard, so obviously that is not a good trigger to automatically send that rocket to space if your pilot is staying inside your base.

You should think of another trigger to launch the rocket and use it instead of the rocket checklist. For example use a pipe loop with an element sensor at a rocket loader or the engine to know when the rocket is full. Another option is to trigger launch every few cycles or so giving it enough time to get ready.

It's working now... Thanks. The problem was the closed bunker doors. The crew will not get in if the bunker doors are closed (Clear Launch Pad checklist item).   On the other hand the gantry is not event detected as a nuisance. lol

Here the cleaned up layout. Thanks for the help.

The refuel is performed when rocket on pad.

The gantry is deployed when rocket on pad AND NOT ready to launch, else it retracted

If it's time to launch (timer) and the system is ON (switch) and it's clear skies , opens the bunker doors and start the launch sequence

When the bunker door are opened the pilot will come in. 

When the pilot is in and the rocket is loaded with air and fuel, the ready for flight port goes green. Gantry retracts just before the launch I think it requires power or damage will happen.

With roundtrip set and the target cell is 2 cells away, it goes off and returns when the day is over. Usually the pilot forced to sleep inside because the trip was longer than a work day, so we make the launch every 2 or 3 days

Refuelling Station ports are enabled to refuel the rocket...

Launch Timer goes OFF

The Rocket on Platform needs a filter because it turn on before the rocket lands and may cause gantry to deploy and get damaged by landing rocket.

The Rocket Detector is used to hold the doors open when the rocket comes back, overriding the clear skies. It also need a buffer because it stops detecting as the rocket lands and may cause bunkers to start closing and get damaged by landing rocket.

update:

Basically I have it running no problem, Had to tweak the cycle so there would be no chance of a fast relaunch with starving pilot onboard.

I have it running on a 2 cycle, space research day and reload day.

On reload day the plastic is getting loaded and the pilot is usually in the massage room.

Inside the cockpit, urinals with water snake pipe reserve, pilot seat, space research and cabinet for plastic. using air from the outside tank and a small pump to puff out o2 once in a while. no food, no bed. so knowing when a flight is ready is simple and reloading the rocket manually is fast.

I really have an issue with needing a gas/liquid/power outlet to use the rocket storage inside the cockpit. these outlets should be included in the wall of the cockpit like the current water and air direct outlets and inlets

image.png.e30bc65ed91d9397656d547fe8b1b69a.png

Archived