Idea - Countering Brightshades! NEW shady plants!

=- GOAL -=

The goal of this post is to make getting brightshade plants in your world more worth it and to offer a way to stop them for good (atleast in the base). The main issue is that they only offer a way to make killing them easier, aka they offer a solution to a problem you caused. This post will focus on new shady variants of stuff like berry bushes and grass tufts and two items to stop brightshades from appearing.

=- NEW SHADY PLANTS! -=

If you kill a brightshade possessing a plant, a new, BETTER variant of the plant will emerge!

AFFECTED PLANTS:

Berry bush -> Glowberry bush

Grass -> Shady grass 

Sapling -> Lunar sapling

Banana bush -> Harnana bush

Monkey reed -> Monkey beads

Plants give bonus resources on top of the original and get a 20% increased regrow speed!

Shady plants are immune to gestalts, making it so that you can deal with brightshades one time per plant!

- Glowberry bush -

- Gives 1 berry and 1 lesser glowberry. 

[Shady grass]

- Gives 1 grass tuft 

- Gives 1 brightshade husk every 3 harvests

[Lunar sapling]

- Functions the same as the ones you find on lunar island, however, they are immune to gestalts by default.

[Harnana bush]

- Gives 1 new stonefruit variety of bananas, called Harnanas. Must be mined with a pickaxe or merms or blown up.

HARNANA DROPS:

Banana x 1 - 100%

Flint x 1 - 50%

Harnanas don't spoil until you break them.

[Monkey beads]

- Yields 1 reed

- Yields 1 marble every 6 harvests

=- COUNTERS/ENABLERS -=

Methods to prevent those white fart clouds from invading your personal space!

Methods to encourage those white fart clouds to invade your personal space!

- Horrid fertilizer -

RECIPE!

[Pure horror] x 2

[Brightshade husk] x 2

[Bottle] x 1

USE!

- 20 uses

- When used on a farm plot, prevents gestalts from possessing plants for 20 days.

- When used on other plants like grass tufts, saplings ect. they become immune to possession forever.

- Cures shady plants and turns them back into their regular variants.

- Brilliant fertilizer -

RECIPE!

[Pure brilliance] x 2

[Brightshade husk] x 2

[Bottle] x 1

USE!

- 3 uses

- Can be used to turn a plant into it's shady variant.

Thanks for reading!

(also sorry for spamming the forums with my ideas, i'll prob take a break for a week)

Shadyplants.webp

Edited by marshyds
  • Like 5
  • Potato Cup 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2024 at 10:29 AM, Jakepeng99 said:

Neat but remove the thing that makes brightshades not spawn on them.

the brightshades still spawn on plants in the wild. Bu you'd have to eventually kill the brightshades, turning the plant immune, so i see your point.

the shady tufts are meant to be a replacement for the brightshades, as they give brightshade husks every few harvests.

maybe one could make them immune by specifically fertilizing them with the horrid juice, instead of it being a trait of shady plants?

maybe the horrid fertilizer wouldn't revert shady plants to normal though.

Edited by marshyds

I like the idea of gestalts mutating the plants and making them immune to further possessing. Since the rift update i had to do my grass / twigs / reeds farm in the caves because brightshades would keep spawning on the surface

Edited by Parusoid

mutating them to make them immune is great. but if it give more benefits to the plant maybe not. new style of every variant of possesed plants is cool, but i wish it not give advantage after getting possessed. maybe mutated version is immune to bright shade but u need to use scythe (shadow reaper)  to harvest it, if you use hand to harvest it will sting u and give some damage overtime maybe for 3-5 second which not blocked by armour.

Edited by prettynuggets
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 4:29 PM, prettynuggets said:

mutating them to make them immune is great. but if it give more benefits to the plant maybe not. new style of every variant of possesed plants is cool, but i wish it not give advantage after getting possessed. maybe mutated version is immune to bright shade but u need to use scythe (shadow reaper)  to harvest it, if you use hand to harvest it will sting u and give some damage overtime maybe for 3-5 second which not blocked by armour.

Edited Thursday at 04:31 PM by prettynuggets

making them only harvestable with a shadow scythe would be really annoying imo.

you either have to kill FW before CC...

or..

kill CC and start speedrunning FW, get dreadstone and wait for shadow rifts to get the scythe so you can harvest your plants that will eventually be overtaken by brightshades and the new variants that arent harvestable without it.

i think an alternative solution would be that the plants now deal 3 dmg to you when picked? (similarly to a spiky bush, bramble husk grants immunity).

1 hour ago, marshyds said:

i think an alternative solution would be that the plants now deal 3 dmg to you when picked?

i think i mention it in my reply 

On 1/11/2024 at 9:29 PM, prettynuggets said:

if you use hand to harvest it will sting u and give some damage overtime maybe for 3-5 second which not blocked by armour.

it more like poison damage not like spikey bush/cactus will make it more interesting since u cant block it with other item than scythe 

Edited by prettynuggets