There should be an option to change passwords or state of worlds from "Public" to "Private" mid game.

Summer.

That's the post. One player can be completely responsible and within their means to handle summer at any given moment, but a new player or one that has joined without a means to fire fight can be presented with a situation where nothing can be done about a fire and the hosts or the base builders are punished because they've left the world accessible to all during summer.

I've spoken to a lot of players and for whatever reason, they don't want more comprehensive means to combat fires. I won't try to fight that battle anymore or try to insist that I am right when it comes to suggesting more active ways to combat fire, but whatever. 

However, I am 100% correct in this; we SHOULD have a way to implement passwords and delisting of worlds on the fly. 

A host can easily /kick a player or even ban them for joining a world during summer, and even start votes to kick if they aren't administrators of a world, so I insist that it's sensible that a world should be made private in times where the environment is at risk, with no fault to the server owner or admin.

1 hour ago, grm9 said:

just leave a watering can at base  

Should a watering can at base stand in the way of switching a world from public to private on the fly?

13 minutes ago, chirsg said:

Should a watering can at base stand in the way of switching a world from public to private on the fly?

that was a solution in case you're going to play before that gets implemented or if it simply doesn't get implemented, although it'd be bad if it would be possible to change that through a vote since people could generally get annoyed by griefers or newbies and keep locking servers after a few days of playing or after a bunch of people would go onto one public server and lock it once everyone they wanted to join joined    

4 minutes ago, grm9 said:

that was a solution in case you're going to play before that gets implemented or if it simply doesn't get implemented, although it'd be bad if it would be possible to change that through a vote since people could generally get annoyed by griefers or newbies and keep locking servers after a few days of playing or after a bunch of people would go onto one public server and lock it once everyone they wanted to join joined    

I think it's an option that would be at the discretion of the admin, but it's something that's far more applicable on non dedicated multiplayer worlds rather than your run of the mill public server.

Public dedicated servers are the wild west. They're great like that and most wouldn't have it any other way.

I think many have forgotten that "Drop all items on disconnect" is a world setting, albeit in my opinion, a very hamhanded one that ideally would require a "Whitelist" where if the server owner would elect, could put a regular on a whitelist to keep all his or her items on a world.

As aggressive as the option is, you won't have to wonder if your enlightened shards or 70 stacks of wood have been taken and logged out with. Be that as it may, it's not a feature that is implemented on most worlds by consequence of not being a default setting.

A vote to lock a world behind a password wouldn't be my intention either. Once more, this would be completely in the hands of a an admin and server owner.

It would also be redundant as you can already vote to kick people from servers. It happens on public servers already. 

10 minutes ago, chirsg said:

It would also be redundant as you can already vote to kick people from servers. It happens on public servers already

pretty sure there's a cd for kicking people so you at least can't kick everyone joining if multiple people join at once 

I won't argue any more. I think that changing options of the fly is an objectively good and sensible feature that could get added into the game without missing a beat and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Archived