Swamp concept - New plants!

New swamp plants to spice up your life! 

When winter begins, new plants will begin to grow that will benefit Wurt mains and occasionally, other survivors!

- WAIL NUTS -

Wail nuts start growing in the swamp during day 1 of winter they will replace some spiky bushes on swamp turf. Expect about 10

- Can be dug up and placed, no fertilizer required.

- Hurts the player for 5 damage when picked, Wurt is immune.

- 1 Per harvest.

- Bramble husk grants immunity to damage.

- Regrows in 5 days.

STATS, SURVIVOR:

"It looks a bit too lumpy." - Wilson

[Raw]

Health: - 15 

Hunger: + 15

Sanity: - 15

[Cooked] 

Health: - 5

Hunger: + 10

Sanity: - 5

STATS, WURT:

"Swamp has best nuts, florp." - Wurt

[Raw]

Health: + 1

Sanity: + 1

Hunger: + 5

[Cooked] 

Health: +3

Sanity: +1

Hunger : +5,5

[SALTED NUTS, CROCKPOT RECIPE]

[Wail nuts] x 2

[Filler] x 2

STATS, SURVIVOR:

"Too salty for my taste, it also stings my mouth." -  Wilson

Health: -40

Sanity: +10

Hunger: +50

STATS, WURT:

"Better raw, but still okay."

Health: + 3

Sanity: +15

Hunger: +20

- CHURREEDOS - 

Churreedos start growing on day 1 of winter. They will replace some reeds growing in the swamp. Expect about 10.

- Same mechanics as wailnuts.

STATS, SURVIVOR:

"Is it a mutated reed?." - Wilson

[Raw]

Health: + 40

Sanity: -20

Hunger: - 100

If hunger drops to 0, churros will deal 5 damage instead.

[Cooked]

Health: -40

Sanity: +40

Hunger: +25

STATS, WURT:

"Swamp provides tasty sticks!" - Wurt

[Raw]

Health: +5

Sanity: 0

Hunger: +15

[Cooked]

Health: +10

Sanity: 0

Hunger: +10

[Churros, CROCKPOT RECIPE]

[Churreedos] x 2

[Honey] x 2

STATS, SURVIVOR:

"It's... tolerable."  - Wilson

Health: +15

Sanity: +1

Hunger: +25

STATS, WURT:

"Yum!" - Wurt

Health: 0

Sanity: +5

Hunger: +45

- WARPED GRASS -

Similar to grass tuft, except it grows in the swamp on day 0 and deals 3 damage to survivors due to an acidic layer.

- Doesn't wilt and doesn't require fertilizer.

- Bramble husk grants immunity to damage.

- GRINNING FERN -

An invasive species of fern has invaded the swamp! they can be picked to get a grinning leaf, which gives merms and Wurt 5 hunger and 3 health, decent for early game merm feeding. Survivors get - 1 health due to ouchy plant teeth.

- MY THOUGHTS -

My main idea behind this is to give Wurt a set of bonuses from plants similar to how she doesn't lose stats from kelp.

In terms of survivors, churreedos are basically a last resort in winter to gain stats, while in other seasons it can be used if you have enough hunger foods.

Im unsure if these stats are balanced, i made them up on the spot.

Thanks for reading!

Swampplant.webp

fern.webp

8 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

These are really cool, swamp and some other biomes could really use more life and uniqueness. 

What biomes are you exactly thinking off? I might make more plants for some niche boring biome.

3 hours ago, marshyds said:

What biomes are you exactly thinking off? I might make more plants for some niche boring biome.

Well the ones that come to mind first are the mosaic, oasis and forest. Maybe in summer there could be a river trail that makes like a nile river situation to make a trail of life and plants.

On 1/4/2024 at 3:22 PM, BalkanCockroach said:

Well the ones that come to mind first are the mosaic, oasis and forest. Maybe in summer there could be a river trail that makes like a nile river situation to make a trail of life and plants.

Neat suggestions!

-OASIS-

1) -BRINE PINE-

A tree to replace the spiky trees in the oasis, to make it more unique compared to the swamp and Dfly desert.

The oasis now has multiple smaller water ponds (the bigger one remains the only useful one). expect about 3-5 total around the biome, +1 for the big one.

the brine pines spawn near said ponds.

DROPS:

[Log] x 1 (mature)

they mainly serve to be cosmetic.

2) -OCTOLLO-

A pretty flower that is scattered in the biome, independent from any water sources.

From them spawns a scorpion mob.

Can be replanted by catching said mob and planting it.

3)  -SCORNPRION-

Scorpion, spawns from octollios.

They drop a unique venom which can be furnished into a throwable substance that inflicts the Intoxication debuff.

The debuff makes mobs attack 12.5% slower and deal 25% less damage, good for people who arent experts at kiting or don't want to see their armor crumble to dust ig.

-MOSAIC-

The mosaic is a bit trickier since its the ugly stupid bastard biome...

what if it had hybrid plants?

like, combine spiky trees, birchnut trees and pine trees into an unholy mess or something.

-FOREST-

the forest is fine imo.

Do you mind if i try making the oasis stuff into a seperate concept later?

Date-palm-tree.webp

12 hours ago, marshyds said:

Do you mind if i try making the oasis stuff into a seperate concept later?

I hope you do, your art and concepts are really cool.

Also for the mosaic you really nailed the idea about mutate plants imo. It's supposed to be more alien and mutated by the moon rocks and meteors, maybe like a mini celestial champion looking mob? Kinda lika a mini moon rock golem that looks like CC phase 1 but a lot smaller that falls from the sky imma try to sketch it but know that im terrible.

Something like this, ill make a new thread and upload it properly when im done. I kinda changed the idea though this thing is gonna be big, just not CC big more like rook big. It's gonna roll and crush you after falling from the sky. So like 25 percent chance from meteor showers. And im thinking about 450-600 hp is enough so that it's not overly annoying. It's kunar aligned. I'll refine the details later on.

20240107_164740.jpg

3 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

And im thinking about 450-600 hp is enough so that it's not overly annoying. It's kunar aligned. I'll refine the details later on.

Celestial Warriors be like:

18 hours ago, Furyestdestroyr said:

churreedos could do with a more churro look imo. Churros already have an oddly stem like shape.

Yeah its a bit hard to make the weird gap shape the irl churros have, i tried to make it filthy to fit the swamp theme.

Glad you liked the grinning fern!

16 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

I hope you do, your art and concepts are really cool.

Noted! Ty!

15 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Something like this, ill make a new thread and upload it properly when im done. I kinda changed the idea though this thing is gonna be big, just not CC big more like rook big. It's gonna roll and crush you after falling from the sky. So like 25 percent chance from meteor showers. And im thinking about 450-600 hp is enough so that it's not overly annoying. It's kunar aligned. I'll refine the details later on.

Interesting idea, i have an idea for a different kinda mob but similar mechanically!

-Shadowhog-

Post shadow rifts, every meteor storm, 1-3 shadow meteors may turn into hedgehogs that will attempt to kill you, because you can't have anything nice in the mosaic.

If rifts are active, these hedgehogs may be posessed by gestalts.

STATS:

HP: 600

ATK: 30 roll, 20 needle.

SPD: 6 while walking, 12 while rolling

PATTERN: Rolls at enemies or the player, dealing AOE damage. Sometimes it may stay still and launch needles into the air, these needles can drop and deal damage to players. The needles show a shadow before landing.

DROPS:

[Neddle] 5-8

[Pure horror] x 1-3

CRAFTS!

-Sharrows x 4-

[Neddle] x 1

[Pure horror] x 1

[Twig] x 1

Stacks up to 40.

USE!

Launched by the yinbow, shadow alligned.

-Yinbow-

[Rope] x 1

[Dread stone] x 3

[Brightshade husk] x 3

USE!

Load some sharrows as ammo into the shabow to shoot them for 25-55 damage each!

Damage and range scales with how long you charge the bow.

-Lunarhog-

You can hunt them by waiting for a gestalt to possess a dead hog.

STATS:

HP: 1500

ATK: 40 roll, 45 needle, 20 fire.

SPD: 7 walk, 15 roll.

PATTERN: Will charge before rolling, leaving behind a trail of fire. Launched needles now explode.

DROPS:

[Moonglass neddles] x 3-5

[Pure brilliance] x 2-3

CRAFTS!

-Fiberglass husk-

[Bramble husk] x 1

[Moonglass neddles] x 2

[Pure brilliance] x 2

USE!

- Essentially an improved version of the bramble husk, dealing more damage in a wider range.

-Grass glass-

[Moonglass needles] x 1

[Bramble trap] x 1

USE!

- Bramble trap, which deals slightly more damage and resets on it's own.

-Larrows x 8-

Similar to sharrows, but lunar alligned.

Might make these into a seperate concept later, if you dont mind.

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

4 minutes ago, marshyds said:

Post shadow rifts, every meteor storm, 1-3 shadow meteors may turn into hedgehogs that will attempt to kill you, because you can't have anything nice in the mosaic.

Well, thematically wouldn't make sense. Despite being called shadow meteors, they actually fall from the moon (Alter) which is the opposite of shadow in this game. 

1 minute ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Well, thematically wouldn't make sense. Despite being called shadow meteors, they actually fall from the moon (Alter) which is the opposite of shadow in this game. 

Oh, i just thought they were maxwell's meteors because of the name lol.

maybe post rifts the meteors would take on a new lunar-white appearance?

they only spawn the lunarhogs (or gestalthogs, whatever).

they drop the moonglass needles then, neddles will be forgotten.

ig it would make sense since the overworld has lunar stuff while the underground dabbles in shadow stuff?

also would fit wormwood's lunar heritage.

3 minutes ago, marshyds said:

Oh, i just thought they were maxwell's meteors because of the name lol.

Fun fact: yesn't

They were first introduced in a klei offical DS mod called "the lost fragment" you should check it out, it's hugely important about Maxwell's lore.

In DST however, they are from the moon. Meteor showers are also how you get the celestial orb.

Archived