My take on addressing Wigfrids rider branch antisynergies

Thematically it makes sense, Klei has a vision that Wigfrid is the Valkyrie that rides into battle with her noble mount. However her rider skill tree just seem so far removed from the rest of her kit. Here is my take on redesigning the skill tree:

Battle mount subtree: (focuses mainly on Wigfrids ability to fight on a beefalo)

1. Battle mount 1 - Wigfrids passive 25% reduction to damage taken and 25% bonus damage now also applies beefalo while mounted

2. Battle mount 2 - Wigfrids inspiration no longer depletes while riding a beefalo and her songs can now affect her beefalo

3. Battle mount 3 - Learn to craft the battle saddle, changed to +45% speed, +10 planar damage, +15% damage reduction (still 40% damage reduction since it is additive to he 25% passive damage reduction)

Noble mount subtree: (focuses on beefalo utitity)

1. Noble mount 1 - Wigfrid takes significantly less time to mount and dismount a beefalo and can dismount by vaulting off a beefalo (jump to a location within a small range), additionally Wigfrid will land on her feet if bucked off for faster recovery time.

2. Noble mount 2 - If Wigfrid has a fully tamed beefalo in the world, she may whistle to have her steed run to her from off screen and give her the bell. If her beefalo is on screen whistling will have her beefalo come and automatically have Wigfrid mount it. (Yes I want teleporting horses in DST now)

3. Noble mount 3 (grand entrance) - vaulting off a beefalo will grant Wigfrid the same speed bonus as the Beefalo and an additional +25% damage decaying over 30 seconds.

I think these skills are synergistic to her other perks rather than a replacement. Due to the extra perks they can condense the 2 battle spear inspiration perks and 2 battle helm durability perks into one perk each so we still end up with the same number.

23 minutes ago, Wurtstool said:

3. Noble mount 3 (grand entrance) - vaulting off a beefalo will grant Wigfrid the same speed bonus as the Beefalo and an additional +25% damage decaying over 30 seconds.

I love everything about this post but I feel this is a bit strong.

Was going to make a thread discussing reworks to the beefalo skill branch but you beat me to it. Overall I like the ideas, however I think the battle saddle shouldn't give planar damage as that should instead be reserved for a planar saddle (should one ever become a thing)

9 hours ago, Wurtstool said:

This kinda just doesn't seem that useful imo. Why would you put both yourself and your beefalo at risk for the same stat bonuses, only they decay over time now? Maybe instead Wigfrid could craft a storage saddle with something like 8-10 inventory slots. If you ever pick it up then all items inside it would spill out. This is done for the same reason you can't pick up backpacks, only you need to pick up the saddle in order to place it on your beefalo. Alternatively, Wigfrid could just have faster animation speeds for doing things on beefalo, or even be able to feed her beefalo while she's riding it.

I think the first three Beefalo skills are fine as they are, but that the battle saddle is a bit underwhelming. If I were to change the battle saddle, I would change the recipe to not need azure feathers and instead use something you could feasibly obtain in the first autumn. This would potentially allow Wigfrid to start taming by riding before plopping down an alchemy engine.

Changing the saddle to have better stats would also make it less underwhelming, but I don't think it should be the best saddle in the game, just like her battle helm isn't the best helmet in the game.

Archived