Willow's magic is boring and tedious

Is the impression I got but I haven't played much so maybe I'm wrong.

Collecting souls is tedious they don't just jump in your pocket like it happens with Wortox. Farming these requires weak mobs its Wortox gameplay but worse as you gotta set weak mobs on fire, kill them, and then walk around holding your lighter like a dummy. 

Ice fire is the only good spell to gather those but they don't drop because frost burn is not a mechanic yet added. 

The rest of the spells are aoe fire staff, AOE fire staff and a mini dwarf star (that one is cool). Shadow flame is glitched from what I can tell 

8 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Collecting souls is tedious they don't just jump in your pocket like it happens with Wortox. Farming these requires weak mobs its Wortox gameplay but worse as you gotta set weak mobs on fire, kill them, and then walk around holding your lighter like a dummy. 

Ice fire is the only good spell to gather those but they don't drop because frost burn is not a mechanic yet added. 

The rest of the spells are aoe fire staff, AOE fire staff and a mini dwarf star (that one is cool). Shadow flame is glitched from what I can tell 

Yeah but Wortox has a limited amout of souls he can have. Willow doesn't have an ember limit but i do agree it's tedious to gather.

I'm not exactly finding it that intuitive to

1. Light enemy on fire with lighter or fire ball
2. click ember
3. click frenzy
4. click to activate
5. equip weapon, fight enemy as it panics
6. equip lighter
7.right click lighter
8. walk around and gather embers

Combustion has been crashing my game but I'm guessing the way to farm embers is just let weak enemies die to fire and then vacuum up the embers. But the overall fighting process with her magic is indeed tedious and clicky.

They could drastically increase the radius for vacuuming embers and they should in my opinion, but the click ember, click spell, click to activate doesn't feel super intuitive, especially if you want to use frenzy also. Don't know how to fix that. Maybe frenzy could not require a 2nd click to activate. It's just a lot of clicking to repeat if you're doing a lot of fighting.

I agree that the ember radius is way too short. There was a time I killed a hound with fire, and in the middle of jumping into the water, it died. The ember was right off shore, like Willows nose was literally touching it, but it didn't get absorbed.

I think embers should be collected automatically by walking into it, but the lighter acts like a vaccum if activated, like how Wortox collects souls, but slower depending on range.

On 12/5/2023 at 10:14 AM, Gi-Go said:

I haven't played beta but I can definetely say I don't like ember idea. It's like for Wendy, she must do BORING things to collect resources for Abi. To me it would be much better if Willow would use red gems or nightmare fuel or dust.

I will say part of the appeal of playing Willow is how well she rewards my ADHD-influenced playstyle. Forgot the materials for a torch or campfire before nightfall? Light a tree on fire. Forgot to eat before leaving camp? Cook seeds and berries on the go. Didn't manage your sanity properly during the boss battle? Drop Bernie to keep the terrorbeaks off you then kill them for the sanity boost and nightmare fuel. Even her main disadvantage, her vulnerability to the cold, is better handled by the aforementioned tree-lighting strategy than any amount of prep work (aside from crafting a thermal stone). The fact that all of this perfectly suits Willow's personality makes it even better. She's extremely satisfying to play as.

For comparison, I've tried playing as Maxwell a few times and he's kind of the opposite. Yeah the sanity restoration reduces having to plan for sanity recovering items, but you still have to manage his sanity for spell use (and nightmare fuel gathering early on). Add to that the extra attention needed to his HP and what armor he's wearing and I quickly realized Maxwell wasn't the character for me. His abilities are very cool and I'm always glad when he joins a server, but keeping track of when to use his spells and how to use them just makes playing the game too stressful to be fun for me. (Although again, I like how well it suits his personality).

Willow's new spellcasting has been compared to Maxwell's a bit and that does have me nervous. To me, having to think ahead by gathering embers and planning spells feels like it lacks synergy with Willow's current encouraged playstyle. Although this is less so the case now since some of Willow's new skills lessen the penalties of burning enemies. Does Controlled Burning allow Willow to kill enemies on fire without sacrificing their loot? I know it it says "burnable loot will only smolder" but I'm unclear if that refers to items that are already on the ground or if it includes items that normally become ash before they're even dropped, like the deerclops eyeball. If there's minimal penalty for Willow burning mobs to death, then this system seems great. If fire becomes Willow's main method of combat, she'll naturally gather embers at a gradual rate. (Whether or not that rate is high enough to let her use a fun amount of spells is another question.)

9 hours ago, D_Good_Fellow said:

I will say part of the appeal of playing Willow is how well she rewards my ADHD-influenced playstyle. Forgot the materials for a torch or campfire before nightfall? Light a tree on fire. Forgot to eat before leaving camp? Cook seeds and berries on the go. Didn't manage your sanity properly during the boss battle? Drop Bernie to keep the terrorbeaks off you then kill them for the sanity boost and nightmare fuel. Even her main disadvantage, her vulnerability to the cold, is better handled by the aforementioned tree-lighting strategy than any amount of prep work (aside from crafting a thermal stone). The fact that all of this perfectly suits Willow's personality makes it even better. She's extremely satisfying to play as.

For comparison, I've tried playing as Maxwell a few times and he's kind of the opposite. Yeah the sanity restoration reduces having to plan for sanity recovering items, but you still have to manage his sanity for spell use (and nightmare fuel gathering early on). Add to that the extra attention needed to his HP and what armor he's wearing and I quickly realized Maxwell wasn't the character for me. His abilities are very cool and I'm always glad when he joins a server, but keeping track of when to use his spells and how to use them just makes playing the game too stressful to be fun for me. (Although again, I like how well it suits his personality).

Willow's new spellcasting has been compared to Maxwell's a bit and that does have me nervous. To me, having to think ahead by gathering embers and planning spells feels like it lacks synergy with Willow's current encouraged playstyle. Although this is less so the case now since some of Willow's new skills lessen the penalties of burning enemies. Does Controlled Burning allow Willow to kill enemies on fire without sacrificing their loot? I know it it says "burnable loot will only smolder" but I'm unclear if that refers to items that are already on the ground or if it includes items that normally become ash before they're even dropped, like the deerclops eyeball. If there's minimal penalty for Willow burning mobs to death, then this system seems great. If fire becomes Willow's main method of combat, she'll naturally gather embers at a gradual rate. (Whether or not that rate is high enough to let her use a fun amount of spells is another question.)

From what I saw enemies that died while on fire will drop their items normally, but are also instantly smoldering. With her lighter skill you can simply vacuum the smoldering up, so that preserves the loot. Also if you get her control flame skill burning enemies also doesn't cause fire to spread as well.

Archived