My quick opinion on the charged lightning spear. Disclaimer: I don't believe it's THAT OP.

When I talk, I speak from the perspective of the SUPER late late game where you basically have everything at your fingertips.

The lightning spear I'll admit is a very powerful. It's a REALLY strong weapon. It has many uses, but in my opinion, it's can tend to pale a little bit in comparison to the shield of terror.

In a single slot, the shield of terror is an armor piece that can be used every day in tandem with the celestial crown that offsets the low damage it has relative to day count. In my travels, I don't really bother with a designated armor and weapon if I have the shield of terror with the light source and damage amp in the ruins in this niche circumstance.

Perhaps it's just play style. Maybe I haven't figured out the be all, end all method to totally abuse the charged lightning spear. On the surface, you'll have more opportunities to repair your spear and can facilitate certain stations to repair your spear.

I plan to set up more beeboxes as a means to reliably repair the stage 2 spear. From that, comes incredible amounts of bi product. There are pro's and cons when it comes to repairing the spear vs a brightshade sword. 

Anyway, as a boss fighting weapon, there isn't any contest. charged spear has an astronomical dps and the dash is super useful and there might be someone more creative than I to use it as a utility combat tool rather than one off damage.

The options are pretty endless. The spear is also a mini hospital for Wigfrid. I'll acknowledge the power there, but even then, she's already good at healing without the AoE. 

Wigfrid's lightning spear in a group setting is probably superior than using it using it for herself. She can carry an entire team with her spear. 

There might be some sentiment to nerf it or whatever. Perhaps I will protest a nerf, but I don't think it's completely necessary to do so. I may not be as passionate to keep the status quo as it stands in a future patch. I don't think it matters that much.

Sufficing to say, Wigfrid is in a pretty healthy place. She doesn't eclipse over the fighters in my opinion. Her Wolfgang level damage does come with certain headaches and she can take a hit better than Wanda can and there is an argument as well for her capabilities in crowd control where it might be superior to Woodie's, but I might argue in favor of Woodie's crowd control over Wigfrid's.

Anyway, this is just a bit of rambling.

TL:DR Charged Lightning Spear is incredible, but not broken.

does she really match wolfgang in damage? sure her lightning spear does 89.5 vs wet targets and an additional 20 planar damage, but 30 of that is conditional vs wet targets

vs non-wet targets you have the 59.5 * 1.25 damage plus the 20 planar (since planar doesn't get boosted by a character's damage multiplier) for an appreciable 94 damage.

whereas wolfgang just has the good ol 136 damage with a dark sword, and doesn't have to farm a relatively scarce and rng-dependent source for his weapons.. not considering very long term worlds with volt goat farms and where every resource is basically in abundance already

vs wet targets, she does have wolfgang level damage output.. but outside of spring it seems pretty hard to rig fights in order to have that luxury. 

30 minutes ago, Trips said:

does she really match wolfgang in damage? sure her lightning spear does 89.5 vs wet targets and an additional 20 planar damage, but 30 of that is conditional vs wet targets

vs non-wet targets you have the 59.5 * 1.25 damage plus the 20 planar (since planar doesn't get boosted by a character's damage multiplier) for an appreciable 94 damage.

whereas wolfgang just has the good ol 136 damage with a dark sword, and doesn't have to farm a relatively scarce and rng-dependent source for his weapons.. not considering very long term worlds with volt goat farms and where every resource is basically in abundance already

vs wet targets, she does have wolfgang level damage output.. but outside of spring it seems pretty hard to rig fights in order to have that luxury. 

She rivals him. Not outright matches him, but under certain niches, she does give him a run for his money.

The thing about Wolfgang that many take for granted is his utility outside of combat.

Many say that his skill tree was boring, but I actually believe it's underrated. I get a huge joy from the "Ding" when he crits a chore and him carrying statues fast is really fantastic utility as well.

Sometimes judging characters on combat isn't always the only lens we should assess things by. 

6 minutes ago, chirsg said:

She rivals him. Not outright matches him, but under certain niches, she does give him a run for his money.

The thing about Wolfgang that many take for granted is his utility outside of combat.

Many say that his skill tree was boring, but I actually believe it's underrated. I get a huge joy from the "Ding" when he crits a chore and him carrying statues fast is really fantastic utility as well.

Sometimes judging characters on combat isn't always the only lens we should assess things by. 

Oh, I LOVE Wolfgang's increased work speed and critical chance. Genuinely makes it harder for me to play other characters that don't have a gathering niche, on top of crits being a dopamine rush lol

Granted that 90% of my DST gameplay is solo, I end up losing out on a lot of Wigfrid's team-oriented kit. Wigfrid is by far the better team support, compared to Wolfgang's only option being the coaching whistle (that and having to give up mighty too), but Wolfgang ends up beating her out in solo viability and utility. 

I kinda wish this wasn't the case, but I understand why they're balancing around a multiplayer environment first and a singleplayer one second. I'm enjoying my beta Wigfrid run still, but I do long for the times where Wolfgang's damage breakpoints or ability to farm logs or rocks came very handy..

Archived