help me move out of beta (linux)

i have a dedicated server on ubuntu 23
i have a script that is almost identically to the one provided in the quick startup by klei
the original script omits the -beta tag for selecting a branch of the game to download via steamcmd
to download the beta branch files its simple enough app_update 343050 -beta updatebeta validate
and it will download all the files for the beta branch

but i cannot seem to revert back to the main branch, i tried
-beta none
-beta None
-beta main
-beta master
-beta ""
as in omitting
i've tried completely removing the -beta tag
i tried removing rm -rf all the dedicated server game files and then installing while omitting the -beta tag
in every case it would validate the game files and then launch the server on the beta branch of the game

i've done this in the past where i swapped back to main branch and i believe it used -beta None to select the main branch

anyone has this figured out because i've been going crazy up here

It can be a little tricky to opt out of the beta, especially before the beta phase officially got rolled out into the main trunk.
This is because the beta branch has a higher version number than the main trunk, which steamcmd misreads as "game is up to date", as well as some new files might've been added that get loaded and break the game.

1. Remove the entire -beta xxx part from the script. I don't know if you can set it to none, I just always removed it completely.
2. Delete the Server files. (All of them)
3. (kinda optional) Configure a new world. Downgrading from a beta world to a main trunk one is afaik not supported and might cause problems.
4. Launch the server.

You've aparently already done these steps, but this is all you should need. Make sure that rm -rf actually deleted the server files properly, and didn't leave anything behind.

for anyone who might run into the same problem i didn't find a fix for it persay
like i said before in the past you could use the -beta None tag to go into the main branch
but it doesn't seem like that works anymore

i solved this issue by just installed the steam client in my case steam_latest.deb from steam's official website
and i installed the app from the GUI interface. this isn't a solution for TTY machines without a desktop environment
but its the only solution i've found so far

I've been trying to find a quick solution for quite some time now, but the only thing that has worked for me was to delete every file from the steamCMD folder aside from "steamcmd.exe" . And then I just ran "steamcmd.exe" again like it was brand new, which created new files again. Once that was done I ran my server with the older Bat folder before it was changed to the -beta updatebeta and it put me back into the Main branch! The only thing that sucks about this is that I have to "reinstall" all the mods i've added in the mods folder in steamCMD. Hopefully this can be changed in the future!

On 12/17/2023 at 12:44 AM, DewSteeZyz said:

I've been trying to find a quick solution for quite some time now, but the only thing that has worked for me was to delete every file from the steamCMD folder aside from "steamcmd.exe" . And then I just ran "steamcmd.exe" again like it was brand new, which created new files again. Once that was done I ran my server with the older Bat folder before it was changed to the -beta updatebeta and it put me back into the Main branch! The only thing that sucks about this is that I have to "reinstall" all the mods i've added in the mods folder in steamCMD. Hopefully this can be changed in the future!

Good find! Maybe steamcmd actually caches/saves some data as well, especially version numbers.

In my steamcmd directory in the games subfolder seems to be something that could be related to that.

Archived